PDA

View Full Version : Sunken Cars,BigSeas and Kingies off the Tweed

flickflack
16-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi All

After a BIG mothers day weekend at the restaurant Monday couldnt come quick enough. Woke up to the alarm ringing and had a look out the window to see trees swaying in the wind. After a few phone calls we decided that we only get one day a week off so we go anyway.We got to the ramp at Fingal and noticed that someone had done a neat park alongside the pontoon with a toyota and just the roof was sticking out. Interesting morning so far. Hit the Tweed bar at around 8:30 and headed for the deeper grounds punching our way through pretty ordinary conditions and about 18knots of wind. After a bumpy run ,(need to speak to the council about fixing the road hope they allowed for it in the new budget) we got to our usual spot rigged the rods up and started jiggin. Kev hooked up to a good fish but had the leader bust of. Brad then got slammed next and got a good King up. I took a few pics and she went back in to terrorise someone else. Kev was next with a good King and he got another a few minutes later. We were using Chaos Jigs in 300 and 400 grams because the current was cruising a fair bit.I ended up playing with my new camera more than fishing and just enjoying being on the water.(Hadnt been outside for about a month) It started to get a bit too uncomfortable at this stage with the wind up around 20-25knots so we decided to head a bit shallower. Did a few laps around 9 mile for a few mack tuna and had a big GT follow one of the mack tuna right to the boat but refused our offerings. Pulled the pin at about 12 and headed home.
Got home to find the missus out and about so hooked up the tinnie and headed back to the tweed to chase a few Bream. Managed about 15 legals chucking hard bodies and softies around with the biggest going 30cm to the fork unfortunateley no pics of the Bream it was just raining too hard. Definately made the most of the monday off and must admit the Body is feeling a bit sore today, will have to go for an early morning fish during the week to fix it.

Good Fishing to you all
Rod

flickflack
16-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Not a bad parking :o

flickflack
16-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Brad with his King

flickflack
16-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Kev and his King

flickflack
16-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Kev putting a bit on the first King

flickflack
16-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Pretty ordinary conditions

aussiefool
16-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Gr8 report Rod .... pitty about the conditions outside though :( . There is always next time, You think the red car may have been stolen?? normally they just dump them in the bush up the road a bit
Aussiefool

land_based
16-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Nice kingies Rod, they go like bloody freight trains at that size.

flickflack
16-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Aussie

Think so mate, it got pulled out just as we came back. I went over and had a look. The side rear window was smashed and there was a big rock lying on the back seat.

Rod

Lone_Wolf
16-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Not a bad parking #

Rod, did he tie it off to the pontoon?

Nice catch gents, the old knife jigs are a great way to get down there when the current is up. Have you eaten kingie before? #

White_Steenbras
16-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Nice catch Rod, give me a buzz when u are up this way, did you get my pic of the bream on your phone?

Ahoy Steve

flickflack
16-05-2006, 03:26 PM
lone wolf

Only use Chaos Jigs mate, have retired my knife jigs. No the car was just sitting there against the pontoon, surprised he didnt get a ticket for being there more than 2 hours.

Steve

Nope didnt get it, try again I sometimes have hassles receiving pic messages since I dropped my phone.

cheers rod

Az
16-05-2006, 04:01 PM
nice kingies mate, when i saw the topic I was expecting it to be a report from some new artificial reef "sunken cars"

finding_time
16-05-2006, 05:28 PM
Nice one Rodderick ;) ;) ;)

Next trip wide i'm only taking the jig stick , i feel my arms needing a workout :D

Ian

RAGINGBULL
16-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi Roderick

what is the colour of the Jig in the Photo Green or pearl 300g
Can i buy them from an outlet ON THE GOLD COAST

Thanks Mark

Gbanger
16-05-2006, 07:05 PM
i didnt realise you needed to put the bungs in a toyota?

flickflack
16-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Mark

Its a bright orange back with a white belly, its a new prototype jig that we have been trying out. The other jig is a 400g chaos jig in pink and green. You can get em from Dougie at Bert's up at Labrador or Graham at Anglers on the Tweed.

Rod

Anne-T-Dote
16-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Awesome jigging session there Rod. Those are fairly sizeable kingies. Any idea on how heavy they were? What sort of outfit were you using?

You did well to be out in that slop.

Love the bit about coming home to find that the missus was out n about - so off fishing agian - very nice ;D ;D

kingcobe
16-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Awesome kingies there Rod. How much do those big jigs cost.

Jay Jay

lucyloo
16-05-2006, 09:00 PM
hey looked a bit rugged out there good fish hey i have been trying them jigs to no success can u use over heads or would i be better with big bait runner / and do i wind in fast or wind up a bit and let it drop again do the fish hit them on the drop or retreive most times/ advice greatly appreciated cheers ;)

skippa
16-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Love those kingies there Rob.

weather looks a bit ordinary, seen those sorta waves coming at us before too .. :P

Been to that pontoon plenty times before, seen lotsa things there but never a Toyota ... #;D

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

Toppy
16-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Nice pics Rod, looks like the new toy works ok!
email me the ones with the fish & I,ll send them to Matthias & Franz.
cheers
Toppy

flickflack
16-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Macca

I use a saltiga z40 and a saltiga heavy jigging rod for the bigger fish and a saltiga z40 on a t.curve for the lighter stuff. Kev uses a Ocea Jigger 5000 on a t Curve heavy jigging rod and Brad uses a Blue Heaven on a Seed Heavy Jigging rod. All overheads , I have tried using spin rods but just dont get the same feeling of control that the overheads give.

Kingcobe

They are in the mo's catalogue or on Aussfish advertised by lure world. Tag n Brag also sells them.Just click on the Lureworld advert on here and go to jigging. I think they are about $23 .

Lucyloo

We use a lift and wind cadence on the jigs and retrieve them about 1/3 the way up and then drop them again. THey sometimes get hit on the way down. The Marlin I got on jig last year ate it on the drop straight after I had just released a King .

Tony

Thats the third one we have seen there now in 2 years. The last one we only saw after we put the boat in,almost parked on top of it.

Cheers Rod.

Big_Ren
16-05-2006, 10:09 PM
You must have needed a real fishin fix Rod cause you wouldn't get me out there in those conditions :o Although I think I have seen some of your pics from SA in scary conditions.

As for the car, that's what I call a drink driver LOL.

Cheers
Paul

finding_time
17-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Hey rod

Just a question on the chaos jigs!! What is your prefered action?? a long action or more of a short fast action.

Ian

flickflack
17-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Ian

More of a long action, but we like to mix it up a bit. Start off with a slower retrieve and then speed it up right at the end just in case a fish is following ,it might get him to make one last effort to stop the lure getting away. The short fast action is too tiring to do all the time. Sometimes the fish want a slow retrieve with little flicks. We found that out by taking guys out that had never jigged before and were tired after a few drops. They would just started a slow wind with little hops on the rod and they would get crunched,while we were jigging like mad and getting nothing. We found that all black jigs work good as well.
Me thinks its time to bring your boat down this end for a fish so we can try out a few of those spots.

Paul

Will e mail them today.

Cheers Rod

bidkev
17-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Awesome Rod, and thanks for your responses. You always seem ready to answer any questions and I really appreciate what I am learning by following your posts.

kev

Better untaught than ill-taught.

White_Steenbras
17-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Hey Rod,

Will send pics again, you go you guru, another crazy African.......makes me miss the kingies off Cape Town, see you fishing with the cheap Saltiga's not!!!!!! Mikes kitchen must be Vol gepak!!! to afford that gear. Surprising how stolen cars here always get ditched, back home they drive till busted or sold, funny huh.

Cheers Steve

Franco
18-05-2006, 12:09 AM
Rod how dare you insult my girlfriends parking skills!! >:(

She got that purfect ..... straight as a metal ruler and right next to the pontoon what else do ya want mate?!! ;)

Tell Kevin I'll be out for a jig with you both this winter but NO WAY in that slop-of-a-sea!! If I was there I reckon we would of been better off drifting livey's in my burley trail!

sacman
18-05-2006, 12:07 PM
It is obvious what happened to that car......
You go fishing next mother's day and see what is waiting for you on your return to the boat ramp ...

White_Steenbras
18-05-2006, 11:30 PM
the mothers day curse.

wetnwild11
19-05-2006, 06:13 AM
Hi Rod,
Great kingies m8. Those touotas don't float for long if you forget the bung ::) ;D.
Cheers
Eric

boodo
20-05-2006, 06:32 PM
have you been fishing the 9mile for kings on liveys lately ?

flickflack
21-05-2006, 09:05 AM
No mate, have only been jigging there and there have been a few.

Rod