PDA

View Full Version : Finally some mackeral

The_Tub
25-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Had enough of work on tuesday,sick of seeing boats going past the job site,new the weather was going to be good wednesday so i decided to sack myself and go for a fish ;D ;D
All started well left ballina at 4:45am,and headed for evans head.Arriving at the ramp there was only 1 boat just heading out,got to the bar and it was like a mill pond,we headed straight for the bait grounds,we got a few livies,the water was cool 21.3 degrees i thought it abit cool for mackeral,so we decided to anchor up and berley up some snapper,as the sun came up so did the westerly of 15 to 20 knots,the water was reasonably clear and the current running up hill.After an hour we hadn't had a touch,alot of pro boats had come down from ballina,i said to my deckie they would have come down here for a reason so we decided to go have a look :) :) after travelling 6km down the coast we saw a few boats in one area,upon closer inspection everyone on board most of the boats was hooked up :o :o.The spotties were on big time we joined in,only having afew livies they soon ranout :'( so we started berleying with minced up pillies and the fish went beserk,after 2 and a half hours we had caught 30 fish,we only kept 8 which was enough
i wish i had charged the batteries for the camera and knew how to put the photo's on my report,hopefully next time it was like having a week off,feeling refreshed back to work today.

cheers mal

F1SH_BOY
25-05-2006, 07:03 PM
WOW SOUNDS GREAT I WISHED U HAD PHOTOS, OSUNS LIKE THE PRO BOATS WERE IN A BIT OF COMP OR SUMFIN.

Spaniard_King
25-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Hi Mal,

A late run hey :o

Any Spaniards amoungst em

Garry

The_Tub
25-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi spaniary king :)

I didn't see any, but when i got there i put out a 40cm long pike and it got destroyed in a throthy boil of white water. :o

I went to evans because i have been getting smashed up just out the back of the beach at ballina, i don,t know what i'm doing wrong but, i get busted off in the first run or they miss both hooks,i have been using live pike or live tailor >:( hopefully i'll get with it soon

cheers mal

Tony_N
26-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Hey Mal

My mate was having the same problem (getting smashed). Solution was a longer 60lb leader - I reckon the flukes were cutting his braid as they were swimming away. Also they sure are tricky at avoiding the hooks I use a 1/0 treble stinger on the end of two ganged tru-turns. This seems to minimise misshits

Good to hear they have finally arrived in numbers. So where were they? Sth reef? Resi? Nth Grnds? off snapper rock?

Tony

blue_rogue
26-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Great work Mal,

Was there much size through them being the tale en of the season?

Cheers

Dom

The_Tub
26-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi tony

south reef

i m going back saturday