PDA

View Full Version : 22/5/06 - Port Macquarie Plastic Munchin' Snapper!

Scorchy
26-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Me and the usual partner in crime - pete, headed off in search of reds on plastics today. After only landing one size fish in our last effort, the confidence levels were slightly tapered but we were keen for redemption.

As we punched out over the bar, the conditions were ideal - things were looking up. 20 Minutes in i hook up to an absolute beast only to have the jighead bent, dissapointed but confident, i retied and sent the plastic into the depths...

Within a couple of minutes, the opening fish of the morning was pulled aboard, only a fish around the kido mark, but a nice confidence booster regardless.

Then tragedy struck.. my stick was nearly ripped out of my hands as quick as my leader knot popped - definately a fish around the 7-8kg mark judging by the velocity of the strike. Note to self, purchase a dedicated snapper spinning combo!! :'( :'( >:(

The morning wore on and me and pete loaded up the livewell with a nice steady stream of snapper up to around a kilo - nothing bigger. I was beginning to think i blew my chance at a decent fish for the day when the raider loaded up nicely and the drag started peeling viciously...this was a definate PB on plastic i thought. Pete was cursing in the background why he couldn't hook a decent fish on his new dedicated snapper outfit.

When up came this little puppy - 3kg of pure snapper muscle

Scorchy
26-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Another shot..

Roo
26-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Nice fish Scorchy. gives us the details.. depth, bottom type, rod, reel and rig etc.

cheers, roo.

Kai
26-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Great Catch!

Scorchy
26-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Fish was caught in roughly 20m of water on my heavier end of the spectrum bream gear which is a shimano rack raider 6'8" and capricorn 1500 loaded up with 4lb fireline. I beefed the leader up to 18lb berkley triline mono.

The berkley gulp 5" jerkshad done the damage on this fish, although zoom super flukes accounted for alot of the smaller fish on the day. Jighead it was mated with was a 3/8oz nitro.

FISHING_ROCKS
26-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Nice fish mate! ;D 8-) ::)

wetnwild11
26-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey Scorchy, I bet even a mulletgut sandwich couldn't wipe the smile off your face. Nice fish! ;D ;DCheers
Eric

Scorchy
26-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah was an insane experience. I wouldn't be as proud as i am if i had of caught the fish whilst floating out a pilly on ultra heavy gear, but to pull fish like that on bream gear and on artificials - it's somethin' special.

The ultra light bream gear does have its drawbacks though as i got absolutely blasted twice, so im looking into a dedicated snapper outfit for tossing plastics.

bundymal
26-05-2006, 05:54 PM
hey scorchy

great fish mate used to live at port then moved to bundaberg .now ive moved back to lake cathie .gave my brother inlaw all my gps marks when i moved and when he sold his boat he sold all my gps marks that was on paper with it :'( just wondering if you caught them at little reef and have you the gps marks for it mate .if you could pm me with the gps mark for it would be appreciated when in port would catch up and shout a few beers
cheers
mal

TonyM
27-05-2006, 09:45 AM
Well done Scorchy, they're a blast on light gear aren't they :)

I went out last saturday with Paul Dolan and we got into a few snapper (and a nice coral trout)

So I don't give my bream/bass gear too much of a caning I have set up a 20lb spin outfit with a certate on a Nitro magnum butt - gives you a bit more grunt when you get a bigger fish on (and it's landed some stonkers)

Here's one of mine from saturday - I'll be back for more of that for sure 8-)

Scorchy
27-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Nice fish Tony! What was the weight and what did the damage?

Your outfit is absolutely ideal for locking horns with big fish - whats your PB on plastics thus far?

F1SH_BOY
27-05-2006, 09:35 PM
NICEE FISH TONY AND SCORCHY LOL ::) :P ;D ;)