PDA

View Full Version : Southport Seaway action???

schrammy79
25-05-2006, 07:30 PM
[smiley=helpa.gif]
Does any one know if their is a reef or underwater feature that fish hang around just of the seaway entrance if so can anyone give me a rough bearing to get to it as Im in a 4 metre tinny with 25hp engine no gps,epirb,or flares, just want to be able to get their within regulatory limits. Also how far down is the 1st artificial reef of Sufers Paradise from the Seaway. As I want to target Gewies,snaper, and big fish varieties this weekend any help appreciated as I will going out 5am Saturday Morning this weekend.

Chris

noluck
25-05-2006, 08:51 PM
their is a NO reef or underwater feature that fish hang anywhere clos to seaway entrance
no_luck

schrammy79
25-05-2006, 08:57 PM
thank you very much no_luck. Does anyone else know anywhere else that is close?

TIGER
25-05-2006, 10:01 PM
About 1 k out on the right you'll see the charter boats jigging bait, theres some rock down there, the other reef you mentioned is strait in front of narrowneck. Just head for the groups of boats thats where the reefs are.

schrammy79
26-05-2006, 06:59 AM
About 1 k out on the right you'll see the charter boats jigging bait, theres some rock down there, the other reef you mentioned is strait in front of narrowneck. Just head for the groups of boats thats where the reefs are.
thanks Tiger thats the one I was after appreciated for you help and info

DanMacX2
26-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi.

If you are wanting to stay inside the seaway wall then (hope you have a sounder) but on the northern wall (stradbroke island side) where the light is. About 20 - 30M back from the light you will find a big big hole Best to sound around for this and drift over the hole. Have managed to pull numerous COD, TREVALLY and Squiry snapper from there without much effort. best to fish the end stages of the run in tide or the early stages of the outgoing tide, do not anchor just drift, if you can get some livies (whiting or mullet) the whack them down and you wont be disappointed. Also fresh squid on 3 x ganged 4/0 hooks seems to pull some great results. Also on your way there you will see a pipeline, try jigging around this, using livies and definately trolling, this place hold alot of big fish like jew's trevally and Jacks. also since it is this time of year, try trolling for taylor or floating pillies, I guarantee you will get a feed of them. Hope this helps. who knows might even see you i will be landbased on saturday from the southern wall (wall closest to the sand pumping jetty)

timddo
26-05-2006, 02:06 PM
hey schrammy, i'm heading out that way tomororw. it's my first time, i've got a 4.8 meter tinny, so a little bigger than yours, if i can tag along, your we can both head towards the narrowneck. it might be safer.

schrammy79
26-05-2006, 06:00 PM
just found out from another post going that I need flares so I wont be heading out thankls for all the info I will be in the seaway mouth and just off wave break island aiming for jewies

Burley_Boy
26-05-2006, 06:21 PM
You might want to double check but I think if you're within a km of shore or something like that then the same rules as the broadwater apply as far as I know. (its probably a bit more) can't remember I always float out with full offshore gear.

Try that hole on the north wall at the right part of the tide as stated.

Plenty of fish in the Seaway but very educated ones too. ;)

schrammy79
26-05-2006, 07:19 PM
just rang VMR Southport and you need them as soon as you leave the tip of the seaway.

Can you just buy the orange day time ones or do you need the whole set?As I just want to ,fish day times in my tinnie

timddo
26-05-2006, 09:57 PM
you can buy flares for $49 a set.
i've got all the safety gear for offshore , including paracute flares , and epirb, weather seems to great not to go out. be flat as a pond.

Edmo
27-05-2006, 11:41 AM
don`t head out without the safety gear, even on a flat day.
1 you risk a nasty fine,2 it`s a big swim back if somn goes wrong.
Always good tailor and kingies to flick chrome and poppers on the north wall till you get safety gear. and drifting the in coming tide close to the north wall can produce great fish :)

timddo
27-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Lucky you didn't go out schrammy, the fisheries were checking for flares, just off the sand pumping jetty. it's was a flat day . nice to be out. the north wall is chockers with boats.

schrammy79
28-05-2006, 07:46 AM
I ended up on the Coomera river flicking prawns under the jettys along the river produced some decent size bream and lots & lots of fun, using 4lb mono on a shimano nexave 1000 combo. ;)
Thanks for every ones advice I will be out when I have the spare $50.00 for flares.