PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with Mono 26-5-2006 (pics)

Sean
27-05-2006, 10:59 PM
As it says, I went out with Mono (finally) on Friday. It was a great day and we got a few fish as well.
We started at what he called his south grounds, a little out from julian Rocks. Started pretty slow anchored in around 32 fathoms. I was fishing a floater and the other four guys were fishing paternosters on the bottom. First drop and I got a Trag...the old fella on the boat got 2 fish in quick succession then it went quite for an hour or so.
As there were fish showing on the sounder and no bites, mono moved us out to some deeper reefs and we started getting some fish. For the day we mainly caught reds and morwong with a few pearlies, pigs and a few trag.
All up it was a great day. Mono was a good bloke, and always seemed to put us onto fish. A pity I didn't get smashed by a big AJ or Kingie but at least I had a livie down there all the time for the chance. His deckie was a good bloke too and always had baits, tangles and rigs under Quick control. Thanks Mono, See you next time. Sean..... The days catch :)

Sean
27-05-2006, 11:08 PM
What a horrible day!!

kiljora
28-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Well Done Sean... Looks like you had a great day with some good fish and great conditions. Was a pity you didn't hook up to that big Kingie or AJ but that's what next times are for.....to keep us coming back for that big elusive fish. What was your biggest fish for the day???

Cheers Tony

Sean
28-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Hard to say, I guess the one thing that I would like to see mono do....And please don't think i am complaining because I am not, But at the end you all just share the fish so you don't know who's is who's, I don't mind sharing my fish to eat, but I would have liked to know how many i caught and what was my biggest.Prob. would have been a red or a morwong, I am guessing they were around the 3-4kg mark???? Mono might be able to clarify this if he reads this.
He prob. already knows how, but when i was on another charter another time, each person had a different clipping.....Bottom tail, top tail, right wing ect....I can see why he does what he does....I don't mind sharing my fish, but I guess a lot of others wouldn't. I only want to know for tally reasons. Sean.
This pic is the old fella, Ken, with his biggest (i won't mention he got smashed by a good fish....did I just say that??) :)

kingcobe
28-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Awesome pics. You are gonna have a feed for a few days ;D

StevenM
29-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Nice catch.

Marking fish has its pros and cons and have been on charters that do and dont. Was a bit of a shock the first time the catch was shared. Mate and I cleaned up and the rest of the crew were a bunch of gumbies who would have a hard time catching a cold. The other punters kept the poor decky busy all day. Even had one gumby who was using an overhead but was way to hard so fliped it over and had the reel on the bottom and wound backwards with his left hand.. What a day.

Yet when with mates dont mind at all but at least then we book the boat and have the cards stacked.

Cheers

Steven

Az
29-05-2006, 09:32 AM
great conditions out there, when you say reds what are you referring to? didn't think they would be down that far south?

Big_Ren
29-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Nice catch Sean. It's always a difficult decision deciding how to split the catch, although the way Mono does it seems to be the industry standard which I don't have problem with...that way everyone gets some value for parting with their hard-earned. Other charters for example have "numbered" garbage bags where you put your own fish into....so if you don't catch a fish, you miss out completely. There are many ways to divvy up, it just needs to be agreed to first up.

Cheers
Paul

Sean
29-05-2006, 09:09 PM
don't have a prob. sharing my fish, I just want to know what I caught...lose track when you get as many as me ;D ;D ;D(just a joke). In the end i think i have way too many fish, will only keep a couple next time, others can have the rest.
Az, Small snapper, not too sure when they go from a squire to a snapper. Sean :)

Sean
29-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Ok, this is a pic of me. and the catch. Sean #:-[