PDA

View Full Version : Hutchies - Shallow Tempest 26/5

Volcano
29-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Sorry for the late report, been flat out :-?

Left Scarborough ramp at about 5am following a mate from down the road. It was just me and the old man on the boat and things were looking great.
Headed over towards moreton in a slightly lumpy bay, but nothing too bad. A little annoyed at my sounder reporting 295 metres of water - "whats doing there?" I thought. I figured the transducer had kicked up and was reading directly behind us. Oh well.

Cruised around the tip of moreton over what looked to be a visible line in the water. Behind the line, choppy water. In front... glassed out ocean. It was a thing of beauty. There was maybe a foot of rolling swell, never seen anything like it.

Pulled up to spot X and flipped the humminbird into fishfinding mode and saw nothing but grey lines and still reporting 300m of water. Powered it down twice, still no luck. Oh well I said to the old man, looks like we'll be fishing blind.

Dropped out the anchor and threw our lines in the water by about 6:15am. Not even 5 minutes later, nibble nibble nibble... bam! lots of head shaking and big fight so I called it for a shark. 5 minutes later, up comes the familiar round shaped head with a black body.. dammit. I started to pull it out of the water... I was looking at this thing thinking to myself "Hey.. thats not a shark, thats a COBIA!". 72cm and about 6kg according to my crappy lip grippers.
Didnt even fit in the esky ;D

We moved about a bit after that, and picked up a nice red-lipped Morwong (about 50cm), a nice Moses perch (41cm) and a squirey snapper (40cm).

Moved over to Deep tempest (who the hell fishes in 100 metres of water lol!) through VERY lumpy stuff, and then back into shalloew tempest (glassed out again). Lots and lots of small moses perch, and mixed reefies, with 2 corronation trout coming in 1cm and 2cm undersize respectively (I was saying to the old man "STRETCH IT OUT!! STRETCH IT OUT!!")

Run home was perfect. Not a breath of wind, it was such a great day (minus the lumpy deep tempest patch) and did some great bonding with my old man. As we were pulling the boat out of the water, I went and looked at the transducer to see what was wrong. Transducer? What transducer. All that was there was a bare wire ;D it had fallen off. Lucky I've got another on order already hahaha.

Pics will hopefully come tonight.

F1SH_BOY
29-05-2006, 03:11 PM
GREAT I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THAT PIC OF THE COBIA PM ME WHEN YOU POST THEM :P ;D ;D ;D ;)

outsiderskip
29-05-2006, 06:29 PM
volcano
u should carry a snorkel to check depth
nice fish waiting for the pics

cheers pete

Dave
29-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Get your hands onto to one of those Lowrance sounders. Good excuse to get one now ;D. I was happy with the performance of mine on the weekend.

Dave