PDA

View Full Version : West point magnetic Island - boating etiquette

Leo_N.
30-05-2006, 01:36 PM
Hi all.

I went out to West Point on Sunday chasing some doggie and spotted macks. We were one of three boats keen enough to brave the wet, cold conditions early in the morning. We pulled up at West Point and sounded around a bit for some bait and/or structure to pull up over and start burlying up. While doing this, I noticed one motoring up to another, doing a few circles around it, then anchoring almost next to it. In the space of the next two hours, more boats had arrived, and there were 4 or 5 boats all crowded around the same spot.

We boated an amberjack and lost an 80 cm spottie at the boat, before noticing a school of baitfish being worked by mack tuna and birds nearby. We pulled up anchor and motored near them, throwing slices into the school. Just before we stopped, I noticed another boat charging straight at us. As we had stopped, we were more concerned about the fish, but I started to worry when he was about 30 m away, travelling at speed and heading for us. He passed about 10 m away, trolling lures at about 15 knots, which were skipping along, spending about 1/3 of their time actually in the water. This guy circled us once, driving the fish down deep with his roaring 2-stroke, then followed the birds away. We followed the school when it re-surfaced and tried the same thing again, only to have him drive the school down again with the same "technique", contimually charging straight through the middle of the school and driving them deep.

We got sick of this very quickly and trolled off somewhere else, catching a big wolf herring for bait next trip.

I go fishing for a bit of solitude and to get away from the hustle and bustle. I an preferring to think that this guy was just ignorant rather than realising what he was doing, but surely there is more to boating etiquitte than this?

Nathanrb4
30-05-2006, 06:44 PM
wasn`t in a big blue plate boat was he mate? i`ve been sitting out there twice and had a bloke do exactly the same thing. i think he marked my spot both times to.
great to here about the amberjack! i didn`t know we got them up here.
nathan

Leo_N.
30-05-2006, 07:33 PM
He was in a big blue boat.

Yeah, it is amazing what you can catch in a place as featureless as West Point. I have caught amberjack there before, up to about 50 cm. They pull hard for their size. I even got onto a patch of large mouth nannigai there a few years ago.

I was surprised to get a spotted mack there of such good size. Usually we just get the doggies at 50-70 cm.

Robbo_Townsville
30-05-2006, 08:16 PM
I understand what you r on about Leo. Had on a few occasions people anchor up right in my berley trail. Some folks just dont realise the difference between right and wrong.

I ventured out on Friday in ordinary conditions out West Point way and Orchard rocks. There were Tuna then as well but couldn't get a hook up. Trolled a garfish on a chin guard and managed to hook up on what I thought was my first big spaniard. Got it up on the surface and you beauty a Cobia of 3 - 4 foot. Beside the boat and closer inspection it was a bloody shark. First time I have ever trolled a shark up.

Have in previous years landed some nice Spotties at West Point using Halco Laser Pros.

Leo_N.
31-05-2006, 11:20 AM
It is usually the remoras around there that I confuse with cobia.

My favorite trolling lure for those parts is a 6 inch Halco Scorpion in a gold colour, especially on a sunny day.