PDA

View Full Version : A Brunch of Wahoo!!!

Slient
23-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Few days I could not stand my workmate with very big smile :) :) :) and boastful :D after his successful spear fishing last weekend with his group. See the pic (stroll down) a brunch of 9 Wahoo & MJ the biggest went 30 kilo mark.
I promised him to not provide the spot :-X sorry mate.
He told me he even had his best spear fishing trip even in his lifetime... Applause & well done to mate... ;)

Enjoy pic's

Silent

Slient
23-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Charl with Mr. Hoo at 18 kilo
He could not stop smile :) around office I see him... still... when will you stop it ;D

Cheers
Silent

seapup
23-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Very nice work! ;)

Dogbream
23-05-2006, 01:28 PM
What the heck is that bloke gonna do with 9 wahoo? feed the starving country of somalia?

JB
23-05-2006, 01:32 PM
no wonder i only ever pull mac tuna when im trolling around the 9 miile LOL #;), you blokes are nabbing the whoo first! Great catch #:), wish it was that easy with the rod and reel. #::)

Jas

JustOneMore
23-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Dave,

Boastful is an understatement. I'll have put it into persective for you guys! There was six guys in the crew for the days spear fishing.

However he did say that it was the best spear fishing he has ever had. He also commented that at one stage he could see up to 60 wahoo cuising through the patch of reef.

Awesome catch. I wish I went with him. They'll be out there again this weekend. Good luck boys. ;)

nqboy
23-05-2006, 03:50 PM
great work mate that is a killer catch i'm sure no one will say other wish (jeremy)
once again great work keep it up

F1SH_BOY
23-05-2006, 03:58 PM
9! WOW THATS GREAT GOOD ON YA M8 AND I AGRE WITH DOG \BREAM WHAT IS HE GUNNA DO WITH 9 WAHOO THAT WOULD FEED ABOUT 4 FAMILYS! LOL WELL DONE ;) ;)

;D

nqboy
23-05-2006, 04:11 PM
fter his successful spear fishing last weekend with his group

he went with a few people there could have been 9 of them so 1 fish per person.

Slient
23-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Yeah that's about 1.5 Wahoo per pax plus pot luck MJ for one person ::)
Quite reasonable feed for average family right ;)
Leaves about 60 off to Pacific ocean to feed islanders :)

Cheers
Silent

Dogbream
23-05-2006, 05:20 PM
where abouts did they get the jack?
dogbream

kingcobe
23-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Awesome bet you guys were tired at the end of the day.

JIMMY80
23-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Great catch of wahoo!!! ;D

I have to say it is disappointing to read the negative comments about spearing by you guys. A catch of 9 fish for a group of 6 is excessive!? Rubbish, are you suggesting that the fish was wasted? more rubbish. I wonder what the comments would have been if 6 linos got that catch!! great work mate, nice catch maybe. I doubt that they would get grief about coming home with 1 1/2 fish each for the day!!

Also JB I suggest that you have never been spearing or at the very least been blue water hunting (there is a difference btw), because it is not easy. To develop the breathold and diving skills to safely spear a catch like that, usually takes years of coming home with little to show for your efforts. Not to mention getting used to diving in water in excess of 40meters, where large sharks can appear from nowhere (often brought in by the burly needed to attract the wahoo), dealing with currents, etc.

And to say that the reason that you are only catching the mac tuna is because the spearo's are taking all the wahoo is just childish. All “true” spearfishermen live by strict ethics where they often impose stricter restrictions on themselves then the fishing regulations do. There are however uneducated spearo’s and lino’s that do take more then they need, excessive catch is not restricted to any one group.

I am both a mad keen spearo and an obsessive angler, there is nothing better then getting out there and enjoying being on the water or under it. For those of you who disagree with my comments, next time you are in about 40+ meters why don’t you jump over and spear all the wahoo if you think it is that easy!! ;)

Jimmy 8-)

devocean
23-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Good on em just to put it in perspective for you fishermen to land wahoo yoneed to have at least a thousand dollars of spear gear, and then you could lose it in one go.

Blue water guns cost from basic $350 up to $1500
Spears are about $120 plus tips which can cost $100
Flippers basic spearo flipper $200
Wetties get away with $100 but most cost $300 to $400
Floatline (you dont spear these things and hold on you have to let the float go bit like barreling) if you use a stretch bungee that stuffs about 25 buck a metre so it costs about $150
Float average cost of good float $100

All up it is pretty expensive to be what spearos call a bluewater hunter.

elephrez1
23-05-2006, 08:33 PM
great haul. can't wait till i get on the end of a wahoo

nqboy
23-05-2006, 09:18 PM
jimmy80 i'm with you all the way couldn't have put it better my self

JB
23-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Jimmy mate u got the wrong idea, i was only making a light hearted comment thus the winking and smiles on the icons. You blokes are kinda touchy arnt ya ::)

boodo
24-05-2006, 07:39 AM
i agree with the mack tuna call on 9 mile, had some run ins with speros over the years not out 9mile but on the close locals.

White_Steenbras
24-05-2006, 08:05 PM
I say good luck to the spearos, I"d hate to be floating bleeding burley in the warm currents up this way with all the sharks, no thanks!

Thats why I am landbased and happy. Great fish though.

boodo
26-05-2006, 03:55 PM
very touchy subject ::) ;)

Burley_Boy
26-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Only touchy because a lot of people (none on here naturally) assume that the spearos ravage the ocean and for them its like picking fruit off a mulberry bush.

I'd say that if a few more fishermen donned some gear and ducked down they'd realize that its not quite the scene.

I've never spearfished but I'd say that 9fish on 6 guys is awesome and a session in a lifetime. Feed the families and friends and be proud of it.

Give stick to the beach netters instead! Ban that!

JIMMY80
29-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Bravo Burley Boy,
You have hit the nail on the head. I am sure there are quite a few educated people on this forum have a similar understanding of the ethical standards “true” spearfishermen use. I say “true” spearfisherman because granted there are the part timers who go and buy a cheapo gun from a sports atore and jump in blasting anything and everything. #>:(

I don’t consider these clowns as spearfishermen, and they are simply damaging the image of the sport for the rest of us. Just like fisho’s who don’t practice ethical & sustainable fishing, such as taking several big (legal) barra, flathead etc the breeders.

Sorry for jumping down anyones throat but I got a vibe from some of the previous posts that needed to be cleared up.
;)

Slient
29-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi Ausfishers,

Past the week I have seen some positive & negative comments over spearo...
I can't answer all those comments, cos I'm not spear fisherman and too scare into water... ;D
I wanted to let you know my workmate Charl went spear fishing again at same spot last Saturday and didn't turn out good no fish then.
Well some time we win and lose... that’s what fishing is about.
My turn to have a big smile :) and bragging around the office after successful offshore fishing see report "long awaited banks trip"

Cheers
Silent

RAGINGBULL
02-06-2006, 06:10 PM
As a matter of interest !!!!!!!!!!

They did 3 dives before for zero return and one bloke came up from Melbourne for that weekend dive .

I have 15kg of theSE VERY same Wahoo fillets in my freezer "vacuum packed and sealed"
MMMMMMMM Lovely Jovely.

My family and friends eat lots of fish and this will be chewed in 4 weeks.

I often invite friends over for a big fish BBQ.

Mark

RAGINGBULL
02-06-2006, 06:18 PM
While On the subject.

This site is to report catch statistics and for others to read them.
If i caught 1 undersize bream and posted it would you read it...............??

If we dont like the larger catch reports don't read them.

Immagine this Report

Shot 9 wahoo released 9 dead "sounds a bit stupid doesn't it"

My 2 cents