PDA

View Full Version : Trout 1770 (again)

agnes_jack
01-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Went out as the sun was coming out yesterday morning, over a dead flat flat bar. First stop the bait grounds!!! Took a bit of hunting around to fill up with bait, all very scattered, but after a bit of persistance managed to fill the live bait tank with 60 or so nice yakka's. The wind had come up a little but we were on a mission, Dean and I both had low stocks in the freezer. :o
By the time we arrived at spot X, it was quite sloppy, south east. First anchor drop, produced a couple of nice trout, a few large hussar and a stripey. All went a little quiet after that so a shift was in order. Moved about 30-40ft and dropped anchor again. First baits to the bottom were smashed once again by the ever reliable x-trout. Fishing was a little slow but we managed another 5 trout, a grassie or two and the odd parrot and hussar. Seemed to be quite a lot of small samson fish hanging around and we released several that hammered our livies. Dean pulled up a few big goldspot cod, one released and one kept. We pulled a pair of just legal reds, and with the esky chockers headed home at about 11.30 am. Another succesful spot x trout mission!!!
Some photo's!!

agnes_jack
01-06-2006, 07:06 AM
Handsom little fellas them trout;D

agnes_jack
01-06-2006, 07:07 AM
:)

agnes_jack
01-06-2006, 07:09 AM
:D I think this one was the largest for the day at 15.10lbs :o

agnes_jack
01-06-2006, 07:10 AM
;)

agnes_jack
01-06-2006, 07:12 AM
;)

agnes_jack
01-06-2006, 07:13 AM
:D

Gbanger
01-06-2006, 07:14 AM
more of those tiny trout!! ;D

agnes_jack
01-06-2006, 07:15 AM
That last trout is a record!!!!

(smallest trout we have pulled from spot x) ;D ;D

perko
01-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Way to go mate. You don't know of any reliable live bait spots a bit north off Turkey? Tony.

agnes_jack
01-06-2006, 08:59 AM
G'day Perko
No mate, sorry, We don't tend to fish up that way much, I will ask around though, some of the locals head up tha way sometimes.
Most bait marks should be producing at the moment, there seems to be a lot of bait about in general. The small black marlin have been hanging around the headland at 1770 since about easter, they wouldn't be there unless the bait is pretty thick. (another small black was caught yesterday by ausfish member "luscombe")

Regards, Tony

JEWIENEWIE
01-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Check your pms agnes jack?
cheers and see you soon!
Jewie ;D ;D

Slient
01-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi Tony,

Nice massive coral trout...
few weeks ago I learnt the threads regarding ciguatera some subject claims trout over 6 kg does carry ciguatera. many years ago used live in Townsville I ate them often and now I doubt if its still safe to eat more than 6 kilo mark. Do you have any problem with it?
Know its shame its quite a large coral trout leaving us risk!!!

Cheers
Silent

noodlemantra
01-06-2006, 10:49 AM
nice trout them. love all the way!

how do you catch the livies out there. i was contemplating casting for live herring and mullet in the creeks before heading out, but my mates said, they dont go all that well?

whats your opinon?

agnes_jack
01-06-2006, 10:49 AM
G'day Silent!!
I would be concerned about the larger trout in high risk areas for sure, around here I have never heard of ciguatera in trout. These Trout we have been eating very consistantly for about 3 years now, all are around the 6-8kg mark and never had a problem with them. Will let you know if we ever get crook from them!!! It appears to be a localised problem with cig in trout, and always seems to be in certain areas only.

Regards, Tony

Ps...I know of a Trout that was close to 20kg caught off here a few years back, that too was eaten with no probs.

agnes_jack
01-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Noodles
We jig our livies and mainly use Yakka's. Sometimes whiptails do the job, or even the old baldy bream. But for consistency, go the Yakka's (yellowtail scad)

Regards, Tony ;)

lippa
01-06-2006, 11:06 AM
tony have you ever tried putting the hussar back down live? my last trip out to the hoskin produce alot of unstopables and some huge reds!!

cheers

lippa

agnes_jack
01-06-2006, 11:11 AM
G'day Lippa
Yeah mate, the hussar work well, but they eat too well as they are!!
Often use a butterflyed hussar fillet when the livies are not around.

Regards, Tony

lippa
01-06-2006, 11:13 AM
your right they are good on the chew, i just like testing the tackle, to extremes!!

cheers

lippa

Slient
01-06-2006, 11:31 AM
G'day Silent!!
I would be concerned about the larger trout in high risk areas for sure, around here I have never heard of ciguatera in trout. These Trout we have been eating very consistantly for about 3 years now, all are around the 6-8kg mark and never had a problem with them. Will let you know if we ever get crook from them!!! It appears to be a localised problem with cig in trout, and always seems to be in certain areas only.

Regards, Tony

Ps...I know of a Trout that was close to 20kg caught off here a few years back, that too was eaten with no probs.
thanks... I take this "high risk area" off Hevrey Bay right?
Ok I guess its OK to take large trout except this area

Cheers
Silent

JIMMY80
01-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Hey agnes_jack i notice all those troat seem to be coastal troat, or bar cheek troat, for the species those fish are absolutely massive, I assume you guys are fishing fairly close to shore. What is the largest bar cheek you have caught!? pics. please.....

rainbowrascal
01-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Hi Tony
Some nice fish there, I will probably be back up towards the end of the month for a week so look forward to catching up with you then. Tight Lines.
Paul. :) :) :)

DALEPRICE
01-06-2006, 05:38 PM
awesome stuff tony,
mabye you should change your name
to agnes-trout...........cant wait for
the m a g in october.
cheers dale

trout3030
01-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Well done again Tony. I like the way a good trout makes a legal red look small. If weather is playing its part I should be up for the long weekend in June. Will try to drop in and say hi. Probably be on Monday.

searaider
01-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Geday Tony ,
I see their up to usual standard [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Save some for the M & G ;)

Peter
Searaider 2

insideout
03-06-2006, 08:13 AM
G'day Silent!!

Regards, Tony

thanks... I take this "high risk area" off Hevrey Bay right?
Ok I guess its OK to take large trout except this area

Cheers
Silent

never had any problems with the trout from hervey bay either

agnes_jack
03-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Jimmy 80
Yeah mate all bar cheeks, and all caught quite close inshore. The 2 in my avatar would probably been close to the biggest, both just over 8kg if I remember right.
Paul
Look forward to seeing you mate, the marlin are still thick around the headland ;)

Dale
Save me some space on the boat for a day mate :D

Stuie
See ya then mate, will be relocated to the pump shop by then, right hand side as you first come into town.

Searaider
There are still a few with your name on em!!! ;)
Silent
Never heard of cig trout anywhere down this way
Nice one inside out

Regards, Tony

DALEPRICE
03-06-2006, 04:12 PM
tony, no dramas mate!!
i may even be up a bit earlier in
the week before the m a g if the weather
is good, got the week off before so im
ready to rock and roll.
cheers dale

agnes_jack
04-06-2006, 06:24 AM
Way to go Dale
We should do some pre-M&G reconaisance ;) ;) ;)

Tony :D

seapup
04-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Nice haul Agnes Jack! Some very impressive Trout there!
;)

Gummtree
06-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Nice fish mate. Good size trout there. I got a 37 pounder at Moore Reef of Cairns a few years back, he was okay but I always fillet the whole catch, mix all the fillets in a tub and then bag into meal size lots. Old fella told me once that it was the safest practice in case there is a bit of cig. He reckoned that at least by mixing all fillets, you did not get a gut full of one bad fish, maybe one fillet in a feed. Made sense to me and have done it ever since.

Leigh