PDA

View Full Version : Flamin Riptide at Fraser Island Fishing Expo

revs57
28-05-2006, 11:06 AM
What a fantastic event and adventure...after months of research, planning and developing an attack strategy, Johnny Bellas (who I will refer to as JB - not Ausfish JB) Dave Fox (Foxy), Jason Bird (Birdy) and I readied ourselves #for the 23rd Toyota Fraser Island Fishing expo.

JB and I left with a convoy of Riptides to meet Sempre and Brown Dog at Caboolture BP around 12.30. #We traveled on to Gympie Matilda and after fueling up headed off with Sempre leaving the other Riptides to wait for another who was joining them there.

We picked up an early Barge, negotiated Hook point without too much difficulty and were soon on our way to Indian head. #I inadvertently picked up a crab pot which lodged itself under the boat trailer acting like a sea anchor which stressed things up a bit. #I didn't know it was there until daylight and both engine temp and Auto Trans temp warnings came on 5 k south of Indian. #We'd obviously dragged it all the way up the beach!!!! Bugger!!! #When we removed it we moseyed on slowly hoping things would cool down before the infamous Indian Head Blow. #Thankfully everything normalised so we hooked up the Patrol and Flamin' Riptide to JB's 100 series Cruiser and prepared for the task of negotiating a nasty pinch to up and over Indian head. #I had heard from Anyweather that the blow wasn't too bad this year because rain had hardened it up, it didn't look too bad so Sempre lead the charge on the northern approach and got through no problems, another boat behind a troopy pulled through O.K. Then we had a go...no problems. In fact I was really impressed with the way the rig went not really needing the snatch. Yew beaudy!!! We're really on our way now.

We dropped the boat off at Waddy and headed up the beach looking for a mate of JB's who had saved a camping spot for us at Ocean Lake. #

After setting up camp we relaxed with a few well earned malt sandwiches and takin it easy getting to know our new neighbors. #The wind began whistling and I wondered if the weather was going to be cruel or kind this year.

We were expecting Foxy to join us on Thursday so in the morning while JB went for a fish and pulled a couple of dart for a chew, I went for a bit of a reccy to orientate myself to the area, Waddy gutter where we would launch, the comp site and catch up with the other Riptide crews.

Foxy and Reef Master traveled up together exchanging notes, so I arranged to connect with Foxy at Reef Master's camp. #The wind was still up and the word was it wasn't gonna get much better so we began thinking through some options which saw us all on the beach trying to catch tea!!! #With all the beach traffic the fish were shy so we tucked into a favorite dish my wife prepared for us in the event of such an occasion.

Friday morning the wind had back off a little so we thought we'd give it a go. Foxy had a couple of starter regions to begin with so we launched, out through the gutter in a meter or more of swell and began the slog to our first area. We rounded Indian Head to find the the wind was whistling 20-25 knots and the sea was a real washing machine on the top of a decent swell, but we punched out with amazing aplomb, man this Riptide is a well built good riding craft.

We tried three areas pulling an amazingly diverse bag including very solid Grassies, Red Throat, Maori cod, Gold Spot Wrasse, Venus Tusk and one nice Red Emperor around 8kg Foxy added to the box. so our campain had begun. #Saturday we went out in similar conditions to work some ground a little wider for a similar result. With the weather on the improve on Sunday we continued the orientation to the area and decided to slog it out to the shelf to explore and fish some regions a little wider before the comp opening

The lads pulled a nice mixed bag again. I got smashed by a good Red, but I must admit my confidence was a bit low as I have been blown off by some good fish lately, but we returned to Waddy just after lunch.

Birdy was due to join us Sunday after the Sanctuary Cove boat show, but due to circumstances out of everyone's control he was unable to make it…bummer....next year Jase

We compared notes with a few other crews, the current was really ripping wide and to the North so we decided we'd hit out to the South Monday.

We headed down to our selected area, passing a couple of crews making hard going of the slop on the way out. Foxy sounded the area, worked out our drift, and very quickly we are boating good solid fish...Red, Scarlet when over the horizon a couple of crews came over to muscle in on our drift. #It never ceases to amaze me with all the expanse of sea and good reef out there that people have to fish in your hip pocket. Its O.K. if its a previously arranged thing but these blokes had no idea. #Foxy went up and gave them a spray...so we anchored on the rock we were drifting. #The two other boats had to drift around us and soon got sick of seeing the lads boat Red fish while they are catching grinner...

JB and Foxy are fishing well, and I've got the pink shoes on!!! #Can't take a trick or boat a fish...man I was getting pretty frustrated so I decided to take a lesson from the Foxmiester and changed up my rig to an 8-10 metre 80lb leader to a 10 ball and 7/0 treble. #I finally started to boat a couple of fish. #We found a patch of Red and Scarlets (large mouth Nannygai) and ended up with a half box of very nice Red fish (see Nuggets thread for the pic foxy posted there). We boated a nice cobe of around 12kg, I pulled my first Red of around 5kg, boated a nice Gold Spot Cod to around 20 kg plus and finally I'm starting to relax just a little.

Tuesday saw us up and at it very early...the weather report was good, but with 30kt winds forecast that this would probably be our last fishing day. #We headed out to the south again, found the ground we had fished the previous day and into it.

We dropped our first baits and we were all all loaded up and into good fish...Cobia and good solid ones at that 12-20kg versions...we struggled to get past them...we boated 18 Cobe that day but only kept 2 and the second one was unlucky - the result of a crook gaff shot.

JB boated a very nice Scarlet of 23lbs, but it did have maggots on it by the time he got it up it took him that long!!! #I'm starting to boat a few Reds, Foxy has got himself smoked by a snodger but has pulled a nice and consistent bag of Red and Scarlet.

I got a bit cocky and decided to give the rovex/penn combo a gallop...pulled a nice red and scarlet, but then got absolutely hammered and smoked on the 15kg so put it away.

We had arranged for a couple of the other Riptide crews to join us on that ground and everyone got a few good fish that day.

When we headed in and cleaned the fish we've nearly got a Freezer full of fillets, well within our bag limits. We pulled around 300kg of fish that day...which was to be our best day

Wednesdays forecast changed...10-15kts, but we've decided to call a lay day and prepare for the state of origin event at the Comp site that night. #Damn shame Queensland didn't quite get there but the signs are good for Origin two and a Maroon victory!!! And I've fluked into the draw for the Hilux...what a blast!!!!

With our freezer nearly full we decided to try for a trophy. Thursday we headed out to the Southern Ground again, met Reef Master and crew on "No Name" and Jason Comino and the lads on "Harden Up" down there...we're into Cobia and Scarlet again so decide to head wider. #We came across another good show which we drifted...Foxy pulled a nice Snapper to 4 kg (I'm suprised by the lack of big snapper in the waters up there...very few caught for the week, but the winning fish was a goodun at 9.9kg) and I've boated a good Venus

We headed out to the shelf again in good conditions to have a crack at the deeper water...Greg found a good show at 105 metres and starts to pull nice pearlies to 5kg on the deck winches on "No Name" #We had a pretty lean time of it out there and decided to call it at 2.30 with a nice sample of snapper, red emperor, scarlet and a good venus of 2.6 kg

Friday we set about breaking camp and readying ourselves for the Run home.

I didn't win the Hilux, but picked up a nice BLA jacket in the draw which was a bit of alright.

All up we had a brilliant time....It was great to be up there with a great crew and fantastic mob of blokes. # The banter was never too far away...not a crossed word all week and each of us contributing our own expertise to make for a very successful week. #Met heaps of Ausfishers at the bar for the evening program. There are heaps of other stories to be told, and I'm sure they will be told, but this report is long enough as it is!!!

Results that I remember

Red 13.2kg Regan Revell off Sempre's boat
Red Throat #5.5kg
Spanish/Wahoo 22.2kg
Venus # 4.9kg
Joby # 14.8kg
Snapper #9.9kg

A few Thank you's before I finish

Foxy, you kept us in good fish all week. #We may not have taken the trophy but we certainly held our own against the best of the comp with consistent catches of good quality fish. #It was fantastic to learn how to break in a new area. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us and taking us novices to another level!

JB, the memory of you wrestling that Scarlet to the boat will be a lasting one. #Sincerely appreciate your servant heart mate...nothing was ever too much trouble

Nugget, thanks for taking time out early in the comp to help us with that trim tab problem.

The Riptide mob...great to be up there in one of the best built boats around

Shano Boese from Water Tower Bait and Tackle...thanks to you and your crew for reserving our spot and helping us set up, your friendship and comaradery made the trip for us...Rovex Rules!!!!

To those who organized and set up the event and particularly the sponsors Toyota, XXXX, Club Marine and many many others...Thank you...may it continue for many years to come

Cheers

revs57
28-05-2006, 11:15 AM
pic1

dfox
28-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks Ryhs, ive goto run so heres the pics.

revs57
28-05-2006, 11:18 AM
pic3

dfox
28-05-2006, 11:19 AM
another

revs57
28-05-2006, 11:20 AM
pic4

dfox
28-05-2006, 11:20 AM
more

dfox
28-05-2006, 11:21 AM
again

revs57
28-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Great Pics Foxy!!!!

dfox
28-05-2006, 11:23 AM
i leave in 15 minutes so heres a few more

SWANO1
28-05-2006, 11:24 AM
what a hoot rhys , book my seat 4 next year mate . great report great piccies
cheers swano

dfox
28-05-2006, 11:24 AM
another

dfox
28-05-2006, 11:26 AM
more

dfox
28-05-2006, 11:27 AM
johns best one

dfox
28-05-2006, 11:29 AM
my best red, thanks again fellas, talk to ya when i get back from moreton....foxy

revs57
28-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Great Stuff Dave, Have a great week, see you when you get back....

Reefmaster
28-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Well what a week.
I think myself and foxy were a little unsure on the way up how the week would pan out considering we were both fishing with crews we had barely spoken to before but it turned out better then ever thought.

Although i was fishing with another crew i did spend a bit of time with the Flamin Riptide boys and a big thanks goes to Rhys and Johnny for all they did and offered me during the week.( Bacon & Eggs and the lamb shanks meal were just fantastic ) Couldn't have met a better bunch of guys if i tried and it was like i was part of their crew all week.

Thanks Lads look forward to many more fishing trips with you.

Regards Greg

The boys with some Red

mirage
28-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Fantastic report Rhys. Thanks for all the photos fellas. Scotty.

outwide1
28-05-2006, 01:23 PM
That storie makes me want to book now for next year.There is exceptional fishing to be had up there and by the looks of things you guys got to sample some of it,let alone the fact that your un reelax and fishing mode for a whole weekl[ah heaven].WELDONEEEE ;)Ive fished with complete strangers before but we share the same passion for what we are doing and i think that is what makes the differance and we can learn from one another.TIGHT LINES OUTWIDE1 ;D

revs57
28-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Good to get to know you up there Greg...hope to do it all again...thanks for the pic...

Cheers

Rhys

-spiro-
28-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Well done fella's ;D looks like you had a top time with fish to boot 8-) maybe next year for me Rhys :o
Top catch of fish to!!!!

revs57
28-05-2006, 02:21 PM
I tell you what Chris, it was really worth it in more ways than one. The fishing was great, but the event itself brings together some of the most committed fishos around...the learning never ceased. Needed an antenna to sift out the shite from the cream sometimes though.

It was hard on our gear....sheared the pivot pin on the extended draw bar one retrieve and sheared the bolts on the second to rear roller pack on the trailer, one on the way in and the other on the way out...but we did most things really well and easily...that's what you get with a good crew...

There were heaps of bloopers on the beach though. One poor bugger dropped his boat on the sand two days in a row. We saw some folk in all sorts of bother but there always appeared to be plenty of people around to pithc in and help after the laughing stopped!!!! One bloke had his 4by so stuck it had sucked itself into the wash and I can tell you he was getting more than a little nervous.

The Cruise Craft boys attempted to snatch a stuck 4by out and ended up with a shackle rocketing back at them smashing its way through the tailgate and exploding a deep cycle battery that was there for the frig...they were very lucky no one was hurt. In fact I didn't hear of any serious disasters that caused injury all week.

Hope to see you there next year Chris

Cheers

Rhys

lattic
28-05-2006, 02:49 PM
Well done guys, great read and awesome pics.

Muz

BAIT_MAN
28-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Rhys

Mate i heard someone got the migthy ROVEX

revs57
28-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah Shano,

Some jealous bugger decided they didn't want me to take the comp out on it so they swiped it!!! Then it mysteriously showed up that same night...you wouldn't know anything about it would you???? Hmmm????

The lads had a minutes silence, caps off, looking at the empty space in the rocket launcher that day.

What a hoot ;D ;D ;D

Cheers mate

Rhys

BAIT_MAN
28-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Yeah Shano,

Some jealous bugger decided they didn't want me to take the comp out on it so they swiped it!!! Then it mysteriously showed up that same night...you wouldn't know anything about it would you???? Hmmm????

The lads had a minutes silence, caps off, looking at the empty space in the rocket launcher that day.

What a hoot ;D ;D ;D

Cheers mate

Rhys

Mate JB & Foxy put me up to it. Got to say it was funny the next morning at 4:30 am with you say at the top off you lungs WHO STOLE MY ROVEX. Had to laugh.

FISHING_ROCKS
28-05-2006, 03:33 PM
nice work fellas!

indy
28-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Well done sounds like a great week very nice fish i'll have to get up there one day love the look of those reds.

Cheers pete....

Nugget
28-05-2006, 04:00 PM
The fishing is great but it's the mateship that makes the event so good.
Catching up with old friends and making new ones - that's the highlight for me.

Dave ><>

revs57
28-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Ahhh the plot thickens, thought there was more to the story...the guys were too consoling...but I'm glad I woke you up Shano...I figured if it had really been swiped the whole lot would've gone!!!

You're dead right Dave...the mateship is what the trip was all about...and I've certainly come back with more friends. The event, the fish and all is all just extra's...but quality extras at that

Cheers

Rhys

620sf
28-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Top effort guys, looks like a good week to be had up there. Plenty of good fish to be had.

Luke

wayne_cook
28-05-2006, 06:48 PM
nice reporting well done to all cocerned..good to hear the were no accidents

sempre
28-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Come on Rhys , the Red was 13.9 kg , we needed every gram we could get ;) ;)

lippa
28-05-2006, 09:46 PM
good report rhys, half ya luck!!! while i was stuck at work that week half my crew where up there cleanig up as well. and as iwake up 4.30am tommorow morning to do it all again the half of the boys will heading out to the percy isles of stanage bay! like the hoodu gutrus song says "working for ya self aint all its cracked up to be"

cheers

lippa

nqboy
28-05-2006, 10:24 PM
great report mate and even better fish

keep it up

vertico
29-05-2006, 01:06 AM
great report men, good to see some great fish being extracted from the grounds around fraser.
how did comino go ?
thanks
sean

Grand_Marlin
29-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Wow, what a trip :)

Fraser is a magic place itself, combined with some good company, a few beers and the odd fish ... does it get any better?

Good to see all went well and you all had a great time

Cheers

Pete

reef_king
29-05-2006, 07:34 AM
awesome stuff guys, sounds like yous had a ball. Cant wait for the rainbow beach fishin classic, anyone fishing it?

Slient
29-05-2006, 08:08 AM
What a great trip and brilliant report... 8-)
After scroll down... I felt and been fished there...
Like the pic of the 3 rip tide boats
Top fish [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Cheers
Silent

scoota
29-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Top stuff Rhys and great report. It's a credit to anyone and their crew who plan a venture the Expo and succeed without a hitch and super fish to boot. Great to see so many Ausfish members get together at a great event.
Happy Days.... ;)
Scoota

DAVE_S
29-05-2006, 09:18 AM
what a great 2 weeks makes things even better when you have a great bunch of blokes to do it with . thanks rhys i had my fingers and toes crossed for you while you were in the car draw sorry to here only a jacket but hey least you where up there , we had no problems coming home i caught wazza at the barge . iam sure wazza will want to catch up with you blokes one day with some more story telling and a beer and maybe a fishing trip thats only when he,s not doing the job ;D any way catch you later and thanks again
dave

agnes_jack
29-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Awsome report Rhys!!!
What a hooter of a trip that must have been.
Congrats to all concerned, Hope to be there for the next one!!

Regards, Tony :D

Big_Ren
29-05-2006, 11:18 AM
What a bloody awesome report Rhys. I wanted to keep on reading and reading and the pics capped it all off. :) How are you going to top a trip like that....great blokes, top location, great fishing and no doubt plenty of relaxing cool treats all week. Does it get any better?

Anyway, congrats on a Group 1 effort. I really felt I was there every word I read.

Cheers
Paul ;)

bigdan123
29-05-2006, 12:53 PM
great report Rhys and top pics
nice meeting you and all the other ausfishers at the comp.
The fishing and weather gods where looking upon us for the week on fraser island for a change:) ;)
hope to catch up with you guys again soon

Dan

revs57
29-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the great feedback guys...

I'm sure I speak for Flamin Riptide's crew when I say, if anyone is contemplating going next year...GET IN EARLY to make sure you dont miss out!!!

Dates for next year 19th May - 25th May (with a state of origin on the Wednesday night too!!!)

Cheers

Rhys

seapup
29-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi Rhys,
Top effort mate! You guys cleaned up! I havent fished Fraser since I was a 15 year old with my old man(15 years ago!!). We fished the shelf and the Gardners and got some stonker Snapper and Reds! Best bottom bashing I have had in my life to this day! You fired me up to fish the comp next year. When do you have to register by?
Thanks,
Ben. ;D

revs57
29-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Not sure Ben,

I know there were only 50 spots left two weeks out from the comp so shes pretty popular. I'd be getting a crew together and organised sooner rather than later...all things being equal, we'll be there next year with bells on!!!!

Cheers

Rhys

Spectre
29-05-2006, 03:06 PM
G'day Rhys & Co

Great report and awesome pics.
Sounds like u guys had a fantastic time....looks like doing the hard work prior to the trip paid off.!!

Looking at doing the Comp next year with a mate that has a 5.5M Fisher. Have not done the comp before so might have to make contact with you at some stage & get some tips on beach launching & fuel required etc. etc.

Cheers
Phil

seapup
29-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi Rhys,
Thanks for the info mate. Is the Flaming Riptide a Noble Super Vee? How does she go in a rough sea?
Thanks,
Ben.

revs57
29-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Hi Phil,

Fraser Island caused the learning to do a J curve and still heaps to reflect on, by no mean experts but I'm happy to share what we learned...

Ben, Flamin Riptide is a 600 Cuddy Cab Riptide Alloy Boat built by Dave Claussen in Underwood www.riptidealloyboats.com.au (Dave's 6mt is to the inside of the transom...so would go around 6.6ish to the rear of the pod)

This thing is so good...very happy with both the ride and stability in some pretty dodgy weather and big seas. #Never felt uncomfortable and can certainly recommend the hull. #I have over 250 pics of the build process...Dave builds one tough strong hull...plenty of bracing under the floor with 5 full length stringers per side of the hull, three full length inside the fully sealed under floor positive ballast air tanks. #Would put it against the best of them anytime...

Certainly worth looking at Ben

seapup
29-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Hi Rhys,
Thanks for the info mate. Sounds like a nice hull!
Ben.

revs57
30-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Check your PM Ben

Spectre
30-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Hi Rhys

Really appreciate any advice that you are able to share from your trip.
Some info is better than no info I reckon.. ;)
Will send you a PM.
Spotted your boat out at the Banks a few weeks ago, but you were on the move homeward by the looks.
Might see you out there next time.

Cheers
Phil

revs57
30-05-2006, 01:39 PM
No worries Phil, I'll look out for your pm

Cheers

rhys

DALEPRICE
30-05-2006, 05:16 PM
awesome read rhys,
would have to be one of the best
reports i have read on ausfish.
congrats to you and the crew, looks like you guys
slayed them.
cheers dale

darrmun
30-05-2006, 05:30 PM
sure looks like you guys did realy well & had just as big of a ball as we did welldone !!!
regards darryn

the_baker
31-05-2006, 12:01 AM
good story & even better fish. well done lads :)

dave

Fixation
31-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Hey Rhys,

Great read mate. You sure did have a great time up there. Looks like you loaded up on the red fish. Have to catch up soon. The wedding was a blast and Brampton was everything you said it was going to be. The trout and blue parrot where enormous off the resort. Give you a call soon.

Regards Craig.

revs57
31-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Good to see you made it back safe and sound Craig...glad you and Naomi enjoyed Brampton...look forward to the stories...you mean you actually had time to go fishing???? hmmm, gotta think about that one ;)

Cheers

Rhys

JLW
31-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Nice work there looks like you had a ball.

You have a great set up for running up the beach by the looks of the pics. Do you have any tips for setting up the trailer I'm in the middle of having my next adventure built a 6.5mt platey and would like to get it up there one day so any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers

JLW

Samand
31-05-2006, 05:19 PM
brilliant catch buddy
nice work

dfox
01-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Youve covered most of the trip there rhys!
I'd like to say thanks to you and john for such a great week, sorry i made you work so hard pulling fish but im sure in a few weeks youll feel much better! Keep those pain killers up for the back mate!
Thanks to shane for his hot shower setup, it was a pleasure to use!
Also thanks to dave and wazza for keeping us entertained with such great stories and your daily events.
I promised wazza i'd post a pic of his boat

dfox
01-06-2006, 09:57 PM
And of coarse a pic of wazza, better show this to him dave.
Catch ya...foxy

DAVE_S
02-06-2006, 06:01 PM
i thought i might add this to the collection :-[ as for the stories dont you just love true stories we only got half way through chapter 1 any way thanks for a great week dave
check your pm,s would like to see how that photo of that red turned out

dfox
02-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Heres your answer dave...

revs57
02-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Our pleasure Dave...yes you sure gave us a work out but i didn't hear too much complaining. I've been going through the dry horrors this week...oh well, back to the grindstone.

That money slot looks familiar...didn't we see one just like it on the day's highlights one day?

Nice Red Dave...can't wait for the next installments on the stories

cheers

rhys

BAIT_MAN
03-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Ryhs my old Rovex mate. Just thought i show you a pic. I think you will like this one.

Regards Shane.

revs57
03-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Nice Touch Shano ;D ;D ;D ;D

bidkev
04-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Excellent report and pics Rhys and a real entertaining thread ;D.....well done to the contributors.

kev

The trouble with doing something right the first ime is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was.

F1SH_BOY
05-06-2006, 02:32 PM
NICE,

HEY FLAMIN' RIPTIDE I LUV YUR BOAT LOL HERE'S MINE I HOPE 4 A GOOD PAINT JOB I GUESS LOL

revs57
05-06-2006, 04:00 PM
G'day FB,

Love the older Rumrunners...a mate had one for years and rues the day he eversold it...yep a good paint job will make it stand out from the crowd...might know where you can get one too!!!

Cheers

Rhys

gawby
05-06-2006, 07:39 PM
That was a top report and the pics are making me very jelous.
Realy good to see people having a good time. Thats what its all about.
Brett and i hummed and harred about going this year but i think next year we will be there for sure. Be looking forward to meeting up with you if your there as well.
Well done to you all. ;) ;) ;)
Graeme

Sportfish_5
05-06-2006, 10:40 PM
Crack Alert ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

revs57
06-06-2006, 08:52 AM
All things being equal Graeme, we'll be there - had such a good time this year with a fantastic crew. Its already in the diary for 2007. May look into a house for next year...takes the drama out of carting qall the gear up to set up a camp site and pull it down at the end then travelling home. Although we were very well set up and comfortable.

Greg, Wazza is a crack up mate...what a genuine bloke. Always quick to help and has a story for every occasion. He came over regularly for evening sippies and stories... A true Aussie battler!!!!

Cheers

Rhys

browndog
06-06-2006, 09:22 AM
hey rhys i think if we try hard enough we can keep this thread going
until next years comp.That way it will all be fresh in our memories for next year.

cheers michael :) :)

revs57
06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Ya never know Brownie, Ya never know ;D ;D ;D ;D

Brenno
06-06-2006, 08:40 PM
great report with heaps of pics

BAIT_MAN
06-06-2006, 08:54 PM
hey rhys #i think if we try hard enough we can keep this thread going
until next years comp.That way it will all be fresh in our memories for next year.

cheers michael :) :)

Amen to that brother.

Shane

Mr__Bean
06-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Revs,

Have to agree with the others, a great report.

Sitting here looking through the posts it certainly inspires you to want to be a part of the next one. Can you give us an overview of the launch and retrieve details, towing along the beaches, crossings etc that had to be negotiated.

I have beach launched once at Kingston South Australia and got away with it but had all sorts of drama once I hit soft sand. What size boats were in the camp, any bigger than your RipTide? If so, did they beach launch? Were there things learnt that would you ensure next time? #

I know there are a lot of questions in that lot, but we are genuinly interested.

- Darren

dfox
07-06-2006, 03:38 PM
darren , i'll let someone else answer all your questions, but heres a pic of a 7.8 meter platey with an inboard that was up there...foxy

F1SH_BOY
07-06-2006, 03:59 PM
HEY COULD ANYONE TELL ME OF ANY SPOTS IN THE ILLAWARRA? FOR E.G THE LAKE, HARBOUR E.T.C. (I MEAN ON BOAT NOT LAND SHORE ;D)

revs57
07-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Can't help you there FB, maybe start a new thread under saltwater and you may get a wider group of readers with info from down that way.

Been thinking about how to answer your queries Darren. This year was my first at Fraser and i think there may be a whole lot more experience around...still feel very novisish when it comes to adequately answering your questions but I'll give it a go.

Next year we will (and not in any particular order)

- trim every protrusion from underneath the trailer so there is nothing that can drag or pick up on a board or shear roller pack bolts prior to leaving
- if I inadvertantly run over any debris on the beach I will stop and check that I didn't pick anything up in the boat trailer
- change the pivot bolt on the drawbar etension from a galv bolt to a high tensile bolt
- still snatch over Indian head even if it looks good.
- have the snatch vehicle on the ready for every retrieve.
- If I still ahve the 150 black anchor on flamin riptide, take 2x44gal drums of fuel and transfer into 60 litre drums to transfer into boat
- not take so much food as prices not too bad so we ate a few meals at the Comp site bistro
- Book earlier and probably book a house
- still leave on the friday night after the comp finishes while tracks are in reasonable condition but rest at Rainbow instead of driving through the night back to Brisbane

there is probably more but these are my initial thoughts, got to drop my daughter to work now so will get back to it a little later

Cheers

rhys

seapup
07-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Rhys,
What brand is that 7.8m plate boat in the photo? Will send you a pm in the morning as well. Showed the boys your photos this morning and they are amped to do the expo in 2007!!
Thanks,
Ben.

sempre
07-06-2006, 04:51 PM
I think it was a Lightning , Ben .

Sam...

browndog
07-06-2006, 05:03 PM
riptide 7.4 metre
nissan power is the only way to fly

browndog
07-06-2006, 05:04 PM
sempre

revs57
07-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Yeah it was a lightning Ben, Sam called it right

Nice shot of Sempre Brownie...man that is one good looking boat!!! Glad the skipper can perform to put you guys on the winning fish - certainly not all show and no go ;)

snappa
08-06-2006, 12:12 PM
:o look and watch out for ..

"SNAPPA"fishing group

the house is finalised and the planning has begun...

holidays approved for 2007 ... first thing first .... :)

revs57
08-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Sounds like we'll be seeing you there next year then Pete,

Good one...but leave your weather jinx at home hey

Cheers

Rhys

F1SH_BOY
08-06-2006, 07:43 PM
YEH IVE STARTED A NEW POST IN THE ILLAWARRA DISTRICT REVS AND ITS GOING GOOD LOL ;D :D

revs57
09-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Good for you FB,

Maybe see you at the Fraser Comp one year

Cheers

Rhys

Mr__Bean
09-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Thanks Rhys (and others) for the info.

Too far out yet for me to able to confirm leave from work, but jeepers it looks like a great trip to do.

Still a bit concerned about towing nearly 3 ton along the beach on a trailer with standard type 14" wheels though.

I can't get bigger wheels in under the guards so I might seriously look at puting together a removable lazy axle to make it tri-axle for beach work. Had a good look under the trailer and it would be quite easy to put a quick change axle on slippers in front or behind the current tandem.

- Darren #

FISHING_ROCKS
09-06-2006, 04:04 PM
WHATS THE WEBSITE FOR RIPE TIDE BOATS? 8-) ;D

BAIT_MAN
09-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Rhys my old Rovex mate did you here about the #"The head of the extreme green anti-fishing mob (that was responsible for the banning of horses in Nat parks and forests) was getting down out of a tree that looked out over the nat parks when a Frogmoutth owl attacked her for being near her nesting site.

In a panic to escape she slid down the tree, getting splinters in her crotch. In pain she staggers to the nearest doctor, and in the exam room told him who she was and how she got the splinters.

The doctor listened with great patience and told her to wait and he will be back.....Three hours later he returned and she spewed out "where the hell have you been"

He smiled and said "well, I had to get permits from the EPA ,the Forestry Service ,Nat Parks ,Rural Fire and the conservation of land managment before i could remove old groth timber from an unused recreational area.....Im sorry they turned me down".

The moral to the story dont piss off a fisherman. #You never know what job they might have!

Regards Shane

Any_Weather
13-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Rhys, great report mate and it was great to meet yourself and the rest of your crew. Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I have been away since the comp and just got home yesterday. I wont worry about posting any of my pics as yours more than do justice for anyone considering doing the comp next year. With a report like that we will have to make sure we book early to get into the 1500. Hope to catch you for a trip to the banks area soon.

Lee

JLW
13-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Rhys,

Thanks for the PM with the info mate, has certainly given me some food for thought ;).

Cheers,

Jeff