PDA

View Full Version : Whats happening off the Gold Coast

matt20
13-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Hi All,
Im still trying to learn as much as possible about off shore fishig. I havnt done alot lately but last week i went outside 24ne and managed to get 2 tuna using live yakkas. What an awesome fight these fish put up, i had a sore groin for a few days from where the rod was digging in to me. My next trip im gonna try round up a cobia or go for some tuna again and soon some snapper. Anyhow it would be good to here what everyone else has caught lately when its not blowing. Heres a pic of my tuna.
Cheers.
Matt

outsiderskip
14-06-2006, 06:23 AM
hi matt
a nice couple of tuna there
great fighting fish

cheers pete

lattic
14-06-2006, 07:51 AM
Good catch, and some nice tuna caught (one of them, the Mactuna is only good for bait). Grab a gimble for your next trip, for a basic model you can pick them up for about $10-15 at #######. Helps keep the family jewels safe.

Muz

sidewayz
14-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Some nice fish there Matt. #Thinking about heading down the Goldie in the next couple of weeks. #Whereabouts did ya pick the livies up? #Many around?

Cheers

Sidewayz

matt20
14-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Sideways,
Picked up the livies at narrowneck- its about 2km south of the seaway about about 70m off the beach, theres two greenish looking buildings abuot 30 storys high. Just go in front of that, you can see all the sandbags below and the yakkas on top. A lot of the time they are shy and u may have slap a small bit of pilchid or other bait on top of the jig. Theres a closer reef to get yakks but i always am guaranteed fish at 'naz'. Hope that helps.

sidewayz
14-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks Matt

I used to fish down there a bit but it's been a while since i've been down there. #Is that a longtail you've got in your left hand?

Cheers

Sidewayz

BenDover
14-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Always great to hear someone new to deepsea fishing getting their first species and getting excited. Im a 6 month veteran now. ;D. Make sure you keep the fillets from those tuna. And cut them into long narrow strips so they flap in the current and you'll get a bag full of pan size snapper at the 24's. (Thats exactly what i did the first time aswell) When your ready for the big big stuff msg me matt...
BD

strika
14-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Nice couple of fish matt, you should also get some nice tailor hanging around narrow neck sand bags for the next few months.

strika.

matt20
14-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey strika.
I used to go to naz when the bags were new and almost evercast would see a tailor attached to my raider. #These days it seems difficult whenever i go there (generally in the early morning). When i use bait there the little fish always get to it before the tailor. #I could troll around for tailor with a minnow or something but i would rather not waste fuel over tailor.
any tips would be great.

Sideways- I called ita blue fin but i think a long tail or the southern blue fin are the same thing- not sure of it though.

Matt

gawby
14-06-2006, 11:46 PM
The way the winds have been blowing i donot think much would be getting caught of the g/c and for that matter the past week up and down from bris to t'vill has had big winds. :(
Good looking macs though. ;)
Graeme ;)

gawby
14-06-2006, 11:50 PM
its getting late, funny looking macs, sorry , tuna. :-[
Graeme

Az
15-06-2006, 12:15 PM
did you eat the longtail at all?

there has been alot of bait around the goldy the last few trips out we have made, slimeys and yakkas mixed in with eachother, keep the bait jig simple and you shouldn't need to put anything on them I find the basic wilson ones have been working really well for us

twodogsfishing
15-06-2006, 02:35 PM
we use a small sinker above the trace with ganged pillies for tailor at narrow neck....must admit they have been scarce the last couple of seasons. seem to be haging out wider on the deeper reefs a bit more. can get some amazing species off the bags though....i guess because of the abundance of bait fish....big bream, squire, macs, tuna and cobia have all come aboard our boat along with some good catches of tailor

RAGINGBULL
15-06-2006, 08:39 PM
A tip

The Tailor at Narrow-neck seem to come on hard at about 9:30am
and the bigger ones come on the as the day gets later
What we do is grab a couple early in the morning when they go off we then head out deep.
after a couple hours we come back and BINGO they come back on again
Haven't been there this year though
But great fun for the kids on light gear.

Mark