PDA

View Full Version : Marlin on the rocks-1770

agnes_jack
18-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Finally one has been landed on the rocks!!!
There has been quite a few of these little fella's getting hooked by the rock fisho's of late, they must be quite thick out there this year. This is one of the very few actually landed though.
Caught this morning by local rock rat "Dennis"
Well done mate, the long hours have paid off!!

Regards, Tony

agnes_jack
18-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Weighed in at about 10kg
Only small but great fun off the rocks!! :D

FisherFreak
18-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Off the rocks boy what a rush that would be.. Nice fish!!

Ratman
18-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Dennis,

Great fish off the rocks mate.

You musta gut hooked that bugger and been unable to release by the looks.

Well done mate. Love 1770.

Mick

the_baker
18-06-2006, 10:21 PM
what can i say, well done dennis. i could not be happier for you mate spewin i was not there to see it
such is life. hey tony pass the message on to dennis if you could thanks mate .

cheers dave

agnes_jack
19-06-2006, 05:44 AM
G'day Dave
No worries mate!!
He deserves a pat on the back, he puts in so many hours on those rocks it's not funny, top fella too.

Regards, Tony :D

jeffo
19-06-2006, 06:10 AM
new boat in the next 2 weeks....then im on my way!!!

agnes_jack
19-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Hey Jeffo
They are thick at the moment mate, just heard of another one caught off Bustad yesterday. They are not real fussy either, 85gm raiders, 5"mack baits, floating dead pilies, it's all working at the moment!!! ;D ;D ;D

I look forward to your visit .......Regards, Tony

vertico
19-06-2006, 07:39 AM
Did you sell the tackle shop tony or did that not eventuate
regards
seano

agnes_jack
19-06-2006, 08:00 AM
G'day Seano
No mate, She's off the market now. Have just secured new premises with yard, workshop, boat parking and turnaround area, oodles of floor space, etc
Would be mad to let it go now!!
Here for the long haul now ;)

Regards, Tony

FOOCKCHUCKER
19-06-2006, 08:50 AM
well done a good fish off the stones is double paid for as unless you are a regular people do not relise the jumping; spiderman. sprinting efforts involved in following a fast fish . well done son well done. ;)

agnes_jack
19-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Foockchucker
Especially hard effort from the "catwalk" at 1770 with a swell running!!
And having to dodge "guts the Gropers" efforts to eat the sucker!!

LOL.......Tony

DALEPRICE
19-06-2006, 05:09 PM
what cant you catch up that way of the rocks ;D ;D
is that the sign at the new place tony??
sounds like it could be the go, good luck with the
new venture.
cheers dale

finding_time
19-06-2006, 05:32 PM
new boat in the next 2 weeks....then im on my way!!!

That's about a week two late jeffo i'll be there saturday and i guess that the rod count has to be increased by 2 to 16 ;D ;D ;D I wonder how many mini marlin have been caught on soft plastics?

Slient
19-06-2006, 05:34 PM
This is amazing... I never thought we able to catch those marlin off rock along Queensland coast.
Thanks for the post & pic... your counts did pass 3000
Welldone m8

Silent

F1SH_BOY
19-06-2006, 06:10 PM
hey wow! luky man there great fish my favourite actually :D

hey can u recromend any spots good 4 big fish like marlin in the illawarra region but not 2 far out for e.g around islands like tooth brush e.t.c.

;D ;) any help would be appreciated

aussie_stu
20-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Sweet fish, especially from the rocks, might get a ribbin for this, but why no catch and release??

agnesstyle
20-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Guys,
I was there, and I can tell you it was a sweet moment for rock fishing. When we sore it hit, we new it wasn't big, but the shock of seeing a fully lit up marlin, wacking the lure was awsome. Dennis' shimano speedmaster was screaming on the first run and it didn't look like it was going to stop. Luckily it did, racing from left to right in blistering speed. I thought mackerals were fast, but this little fish was quick. After 20 minutes of battling, the fish came in close to the rocks, this is where most fish are lost to the Groper or the little bommie. It darted to the bommie and swam stright around it and back out. Another 5 minutes of staying deep he had it back at the rocks, up it came and I sunk the gaff in.
If we had more time to think about it we may have released it, but both Denis and the fish were spent, and throwing a tired fish into the water would be a snack for the groper, so all were happy.
Denis was using a 90g River & See blue metal with a wire trace on 30lb mono. It was the sweetest fight I have seen off the rocks to date, there have been bigger fish landed and some monsters lost but none as pretty as this one.
Nice work dennis
Mick

Fishin_Dan
20-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Good work Dennis! You'll never forget that day for the rest of your life!

FOOCKCHUCKER
21-06-2006, 04:53 PM
know what you mean @ the groper guts. i have a l.b.g spot were a giant cod resides and i have watched some of my big kingies sucked into his big ugly gob while i try to get them close for a gaff shot. p.s. no swimming here sharks ? no hope this big cod would probley give a decent tiger a go and probley eat him whole. ;)

barradise
21-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Also plenty of these little guy's off Facing Island, Gladstone.
Two weeks ago there were also a number of largish sailfish off the SE end of Masthead reef.
I'm heading back there as soon as the weather lets up a bit.

Scarecrow
22-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Great story and nice fish
cheers ted.