PDA

View Full Version : NQ Spearing trip

JIMMY80
16-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Two weeks ago NQ was going through a bit of a cold snap due to the south westerly blowing> after having no window of half decent weather for the past few months. I was getting reef trip withdrawals.

So after umming and arring for ages me and a mate decided a trip along the coast would be the go, the water should be reasonably clean #due to the westerly and winter water.

The water turned out to be ultra clear for the area that is, (30 - 40ft). So we jumped in, it was actually a lot warmer in the water then in the boat. Which is to say it was still frecking freezing.

We only dived for about 5 hours if that (moving spots, etc) we managed a couple of big coastal troat, a good black spot tuskie, two big blue bar parrots, and several smaller trout n cod.

JIMMY80
16-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Ooppsie ;D

try again

JIMMY80
16-06-2006, 01:32 PM
another

JIMMY80
16-06-2006, 01:34 PM
yum yum

seapup
16-06-2006, 03:42 PM
SOME TASTY LOOKIN TROUT THERE MATE! WELL DONE! ;)

Anne-T-Dote
16-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Some great looking fish there guys - good to see someone getting amongst them.

how do the parrot compare with tuskfish on the table (I've never eaten a parrot fish - not the "true" parrot anyway - down here everyone seems to call tuskish "Parrot")

F1SH_BOY
16-06-2006, 06:10 PM
wow nice range of fish there what boat did u use ?

kingcobe
16-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Top report

StevenM
16-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Good haul of yummies there

onerabbit
18-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Some great looking fish there guys - good to see someone getting amongst them.

how do the parrot compare with tuskfish on the table (I've never eaten a parrot fish - not the "true" parrot anyway - down here everyone seems to call tuskish "Parrot")

I have asked the same question before, we only get the Venus Tuskfish, which looks much the same as the blue tusk, but green & orangy on the sides. Venus tusk are great chewin'.

Muzz

Maria
19-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Nice haul there bud. What type of gun do you hunt with and what depth were the fish taken in?

Cheers

Benno

JIMMY80
20-06-2006, 10:02 AM
maccamania: Yeah i prefer tuskie for sure, but there is not to much of a difference. However the parrot we shoot are blue barred orange parrots (female and male in the photo) these are considered the prime parrot to eat. Parrots out at the reef however commonly are called blunt heads (shape of their head) which are completely different, I would have to be starving to death before shooting one. Just kidding they are edible, but are more a beginners target catch. BTW the parrots we shoot are bleed and gutted asap, also we try and remove the gut without to much damage, which makes the fillets primo quality.

onerabbit: Yeah as far as i know we don't get any venus up here, the black spot tuskie in the photo is in the same family as the venus and balchin tuskie (common in WA). Balchin and Blackspot grow 12kg plus, even at that size are good chewing.

Maria: I use a 1.2m Rob Allen Railgun (20mm rubber) these guns are prob the most popular guns used, as they are quick to load, light, and very accurate. However it is a case of you get what you pay for $$$. Coastal diving i usually hunt anywhere between 15 - 40 ft, out on the reef i usually dive the drop offs, dive of 40 - 80ft. I have been diving for about 8 - 9 years, i started in depths 10 - 30ft. biggest dive so far was on a charter boat off cairns just snorkelling no gun, pulled my self down the mooring line to the concrete block on the bottom. Captain said we were in approx 100ft give or take!!! I was damn scary down there looking up at surface so far away!! but i made it fairly easily. and the bubble blowers watched me go past them so if i got into trouble they were there.

Gummtree
20-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Do you ever manage to whack any headland barra when doing a coast trip. few mates of mine work along the shore headlands between Ellis and Port and turn up some awesome barra at times. They say that the barra are usually found 10-30ft out from the rocky edges or drop offs, just cruising or hiding directly under ledges, never seem to be parked right beside the edges or drop offs or in the first 10ft. Depth never seems to matter much. Maybe they are yanking my chain.

JIMMY80
21-06-2006, 10:39 AM
yeah a few are taken off cape cleveland and maggie island, however i mainly chase em in the creeks. In deep holes or near the mangroves. Very freaky!! but some good jacks and barra can be taken, usually i use a very short gun with heaps of zip in the rubbers on the incoming tide.

Gummtree
24-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Jimmy,
What about the flat dogs near the mangroves, who watches for those sneaky blighters. Not my cup of tea, so long as they don't get in the boat with me I dont care about them but I cut the deal both ways, I dont go in their swimming pool either. ;D Do you ever see when getting about the headlands.
I have seen a few north of Cairns years ago

vermin
26-06-2006, 02:53 PM
yeah a few are taken off cape cleveland and maggie island, however i mainly chase em in the creeks. In deep holes or near the mangroves. Very freaky!! but some good jacks and barra can be taken, usually i use a very short gun with heaps of zip in the rubbers on the incoming tide.

Ok, JIMMY80 you are insane :o! I've been told that crocs will sit in little caves underneith the mangroves waiting for something yummy to come past.

Good luck to you, you deserve every fish you get :)