PDA

View Full Version : The Pin Bar

nocksea
29-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Can anyone give me some info on getting over the pin bar. Any help would be grate!!

rubba
29-06-2006, 12:21 PM
mate this is a bad bar we tackled it a while ago and its a bastard to go out very shallow and can change anytime you need to no what part you can go through i used google earth to see where the sand is and to see where to find the channel try not to cross in a lo tide

outsiderskip
29-06-2006, 12:36 PM
best tackled in a n/e wind

g.stewart
29-06-2006, 12:55 PM
i live at Jacobs Well and go out through the bar regularly in a 5.5 ally with 115 on back.
You do have to be careful. At low tide you only have 3.5 metres of water under you at the bar entrance.The channel runs at 45degrees starting right against the southern end of north straddie and you end up at the mouth right over near the southern side of South Straddie.
If you are not experienced i suggest you dont attempt under unless swell under 1.5 metres.You can usually check before you go on the pt lookout wave bouy site which gives you idea what is going on outside.Also best to go out on making tide.Getting back in is not usually problem but mark your GPS bar entrance on way out.Saves embarresment on coming back.
If totally inexperienced suggest you go out through seaway and burn the extra fuel.

Greggo

Az
29-06-2006, 03:38 PM
mate this is a bad bar we tackled it a while ago and its a bastard to go out very shallow and can change anytime you need to no what part you can go through i used google earth to see where the sand is and to see where to find the channel try not to cross in a lo tide

to my knowledge the images on google earth are quite out of date and with the nature of shifting sand banks I wouldn't advise trusting the images to identify the safer channels

Blueby
29-06-2006, 04:45 PM
Dead right AZ the google earth photos are at least a couple of years old in that area. Have been crossing the pin for a year or more now and so far so good. Basically pick a calm day for the first few attempts and make sure you are coming back in on mid to high tide the first few times too and you should be sweet.

The good news about that bar is once you are out you dont have to go back through it if conditions deteriorate - the seaway aint that far away if you need it. Had do do that before :-/

outwide1
29-06-2006, 07:14 PM
I have been crossing that bar for 6 years now and watched it change year after year,if you have the experiance of reading a bar you can cross any of the bars your confronted with.Now i certainly dont want to come across as being rude but if you dont have the confidants maybe try the seaway as suggested earler. :) The pin bar isnot a nice place to be in 1.5 to 2m east,southeast or southerly swell on the run out.Maybe you should just go for a cruise up there and have a play on the bar with the pressure of haveing to go out there? :)

Volcano
30-06-2006, 09:40 AM
The only bar I am confortable in tackling is the Warner Tavern down the road
;D

Az
30-06-2006, 03:38 PM
The only bar I am confortable in tackling is the Warner Tavern down the road
;D

bit rough when the southerlies are blowin ;D