PDA

View Full Version : My first Banks trip - Friday night June 30th

Mr__Bean
02-07-2006, 04:59 AM
G'Day all,

After getting a crew together that had been out there before, and a later start than originally planned, we left Mooloolaba harbour at about 9.30pm heading for the Northern Banks area.

Was a bit of a daunting trip out as the moon had left for the night and the waves were bigger than we had thought we would greet given our review of the usual weather sites. We were crossing swell with a fair size chop on top of it which was creating much spray as we cut through the big ones in near pitch black conditions. Bit of a funny sensation when you drop off the top a wave that you actually didn't see, but we knew that the predictions were for it to flatten out through the night and into Saturday.

Arrived out there roughly 11pm to find many boat lights bobbing up and down in the waves (many still with there navigation lights on when anchored too). We had pulled up in the northern end of the Banks and the sounder was showing both individual and schools of fish beneath us so we pretty much anchored up there and then.

Still bouncing around quite a bit, we baited up and over went the first lines. With the waves still around 1.5 metres and the wind blowing #around 10-15 knots we had to hold on or lean heavily into the gunwale for stability.

My baits (Pilly and small squid) were lowered to bottom then lifted about a metre and a half to keep them from snagging as we were swinging quite a bit on the anchor. I did get caught a couple of times when they had grabbed bottom before I could get them back up but thankfully I had tied the large sinkers on with 8 pound line and when broken free from the bottom I still had all the rest of the rig there and had just lost the sinker.

All was going good until I put my head down to rig another line, then OH NO that queasy feeling in the tummy, and no horizon to focus on in the dark conditions. We had each taken a couple of Travelcalm seasickness tablet in case we got crook but they didn’t stop it in me unfortunately (hint – take earlier next time not at the ramp) and it wasn’t long before I was over the side in a nose down attitude.

We were very active on the lines through to about 1.30 – 2.00am pulling up some snapper (many undersize sent back down) pearlies and throw back species. We had some good solid hits where tackle failure let us down and we felt we missed some good fish. One great fish to land was a very large Red Emporer that took line honours for the night. # #

Tried to bed down and get some sleep after that but oh boy wrong decision to enter that cabin again and wasn’t long before the dry reaching started. Kept trying to expel my complete tummy lining through the early hours of the morning whilst the waves got bigger rather than smaller peaking at about 2 metres with the occasional 2.4 metre at around 3-4 am wind up around 20 knots. After about 3 ½ hours of trying to expel my tummy lining the sun was starting to lighten up the morning and the horizon could be seen.

At about 5am one of the lines went off and a good snapper was brought on board which brought renewed interest again. The fish had woken and were looking for breakfast so were up and into it again, well the others were I was a ball of misery in the corner with no sleep and one hell of a sore stomach from hours of dry reaching. Kept at it until about 9 am I decided we had better get back in or I will never stay awake for the drive home. The water really flattened out on the way back in (wouldn’t it give you the shits), and it was a clean trip back in stopping to watch a large whale lazing it way around The Kneerings.

Back on land about 11.30 with a mixed bag we were happy with given the conditions and my poor form. Between us we brought home the Emporer, a couple of good size snapper, a good Maori Cod, Pearlies, Bream and others I forget the name of (still getting used to the local fish).

All up a valuable trip for me as a first trip, many thanks to fellow member AZ and his mate for showing me the way and pitching in with costs etc. Great to fish with guys that respect your equipment, are keen and easy to talk too (recommend them to any others looking for crew). # #

A couple of things I would probably do different next time:
- I will head out about 3am rather than stay the night unless either the weather is known to be stable, or there is good moon light. Pitch black was a bit daunting for a first trip this far out.
- Take the damn seasickness tablets earlier.
- Have more rigs set up and ready to attach quickly if tackle is lost or a change is required, too fiddly to be doing it out there at night with your head down.
- Pre-rig the anchor before heading out so that it just has to be thrown overboard from the back of the boat when at your exact position, rather than trying to clamber out the front of the boat in the rough.

Pictures to follow when AZ gets them off his phone.

- Darren

outsiderskip
02-07-2006, 06:18 AM
hi darren
Pity u had to experence shit weather on your first trip
you caught a good feed next trip weather might be better

cheers pete

FOOCKCHUCKER
02-07-2006, 08:47 AM
sea sick is no fun but catching reds is well done for hanging in there. we were out later that day and besides the hundreds of boats sounding @ we were getting slammed by good squire to over 4 kilo most of the morning and after bagging out were pleased with the bite after our last few trips had been slow, lame and troublesome. ;)

revs57
02-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Good on you for sticking it out Darren, #We heard it was pretty horrible earlier...would agree with your reflection on the start time.

3.00am from M'ba gets you out there in enough time to set up and get comfortable before the morning wake up and always the chance of picking up a cobe in the pre dawn rush hour. #I'd also add that if the weather is stable and if doing an overnighter to get out there by around 3.00pm in the arv for the evening bite, stay over and fish the morning bite to get home mid morning/lunchtime.

Glad you got to sample some of the good fish out there...it gets addictive mate, even enough to put up wiht the trips you get crook on!!!

BTW, what depth were you in to pick up the red...?

Cheers

Rhys

Scarecrow
02-07-2006, 03:07 PM
nothing is quite as bad as seasicknes
makes you feel like jumping overboard
exept for the noahs
good fishing helps a bit
good report just the same
thanks ted.

indy
02-07-2006, 06:04 PM
G'day darren i am only new to the banks area but have found it alot easier to get a good feed from then some others i think i am hooked.

gawby
02-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Darren,
Good to see you had a good spew, i can tell you if i was out there with you i would have been spewing on the way out in those conditions. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Don't feel bad about it i spew all the time. Got used to it now. :P
Worth the trip with a good catch.
Graeme ;)

Mr__Bean
03-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Believe it or not, at 1.30am Monday morning I am still sore in the chest with what feels like pulled muscles from heaving so hard.

Rhys, we were in 124 feet of water.

Sure I was crook, but it won't stop me going back, I am already looking at the weather sites for the next visit.

Have the rest of this week off on leave but after that I will be restricted to the weekends again :-/ :-/

Whilst I love watching my kids in junior sports, jeez it ties up your weekends....

- Darren

Az
03-07-2006, 09:16 AM
A few pics from the day they didn't quite turn out too well

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/3223/01070601485di.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8711/01070612418js.jpg

tally for the evening 1 x big red, 2 x snapper, 1 x pearly, 1 x moses perch 1x sea bream, 1 x maori cod and 1 x parrot

with a fair few legals thrown back to grow some more

Big thanks Darren from newey and I mate
We had a great trip out! Hope you pulled up alright

Cheers
Az

kitty_cat
03-07-2006, 09:26 AM
good to see the reds being caught.
on the banks or hards
wayne

Az
03-07-2006, 09:32 AM
sure is, im certain we lost another 2 or 3 at least.. or should I say i did :'(

Big_Ren
03-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Great reading Darren and glad that you scored some nice fish on your Banks debut ;) It's never fun when it's rough and especially after dark way offshore. Congratulations on the red.

Cheers
Paul

rubba
03-07-2006, 11:34 AM
awsome red fellas well done was very choppy out there im still sore from trip home was rough as guts

Spectre
03-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Sounds like you guys had a good 'character building' trip to the Banks. !!

Not ideal conditions for a first trip as it is bloody long way out & back if conditions are tough, but you would hope that future trips can only get better ;) 8-). Just as well u were in a decent sized boat.
Congrats on the nice Red fish...not every day they come along to join the party. Good stuff....

We were out in the middle of the Bay Sat arvo & got caught in a solid 20 knt nor wester....not much fun when the mate is running in his new motor. ;D ;D.

Gotta love the BoM & their accurate forecasts. :o ;D

Cheers
Phil