PDA

View Full Version : Caloundra - cobia and longtail

jack_attacks
02-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Fished Caloundra offshore this morning with a mate from work. Put in at the Outrigger club ramp about 6:15am. Two boats headed out across the Caloundra bar eastward to mates spot. #

Plenty of livies on the spot, including some large slimys. #Fished live bait for about 3 hours for 2 cobia, 1 longtail and a couple of squire. #A couple of lost fish also.

Wind blew about 15 knots from the West most of the morning. #Called it quits at 11am for a bumpy ride home, back at ramp about 12 noon. #Bar conditions were good.

Cobia were fairly small, but a few around. #Longtail went about 12 kgs...nice morning out. #:D #Would have been a nice afternoon out there as the wind dropped away after lunch... :-/

Matt

jack_attacks
02-07-2006, 08:31 PM
miniture cobe...prior to release

Jeremy
03-07-2006, 07:39 AM
good session Matt, enough to keep you busy. What depth were you fishing?

Jeremy

jack_attacks
03-07-2006, 08:56 AM
good session Matt, enough to keep you busy. What depth were you fishing?

Jeremy

Jeremy - we were fishing 30-40 meters. Water colour was good, and plenty of bait around. The signs were certainly there - dolphins, ganets, bait on the surface etc etc. Will be heading back there next weekend weather permitting...

Matt

Smailesy
03-07-2006, 08:23 PM
12kg longtail nice fish great snap of the baby cobe good stuff

Jono_SS
03-07-2006, 08:30 PM
it's a scary small world!

Matt, here's a photo of you fighting one of those 2 cobia. i.e. the one you didn't get a photo of. and the one I didn't get a photo of due to....well, as they say, what goes on tour stays on tour!

are you planning to head out there on the same boat? or do you have another means of transport?

ps - you get full marks for your estimate of longtail weight!!

pps - bugger the weekend, I'm hoping to go back this week.

jack_attacks
03-07-2006, 08:48 PM
it's a scary small world!

Matt, here's a photo of you fighting one of those 2 cobia. i.e. the one you didn't get a photo of. and the one I didn't get a photo of due to....well, as they say, what goes on tour stays on tour!

are you planning to head out there on the same boat? or do you have another means of transport?

ps - you get full marks for your estimate of longtail weight!!

pps - bugger the weekend, I'm hoping to go back this week.

Hey Jono
Sure is a small world... ;) Great to hear from you.

As for this weekend...I am due to pick up my new boat (5.4 trailcraft profish) on Wednesday, so if Chris and you are keen lets organise a trip for this weekend (weather permitting) - what do you reckon? Which mid week day do you expect to head back there...I think they have forecast some wind for tomorrow/Wed... :-/

I have a picture of you and the longtail which I will send to Chris to forward through to you.

Looking forward to catching up, and thanks again for a great day on Sunday.

Matt

Jono_SS
03-07-2006, 09:20 PM
hmmm, this weekend, 5.4m trailcraft...perhaps you need to run the engine in with a bit of a longer cruise, say to the Banks? needless to say I have some marks...

but seriously, late in the week looks the goods at this early stage. I'd love to float around that spot late Thursday arvo, maybe into the early evening. who knows what would come on board!