PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Offshore Onfire

cyclone
03-07-2006, 08:27 PM
I took my two Kids out for a fish today as there was a small break in the weather and mums out of town for a week. We left Yorkeys ramp at about 5:45 and headed out in a slight land breeze, as we reached the inner reefs it looked good enough to head out wide for a look so we cruised out to Finn reef area for a look. Arrived at Finn about 7:15 to a good show of fish on the new sounder so we did a drift to work the current out. As soon as the baits hit the bottom it was on and triple hookups were the norm, lines were getting crossed kids were squealing and fish were hitting the deck everywhere. I moved the boat and anchored so we could sit right over the best spot as there was very little current. the majority of fish were large mouth nannygai and red emperor with the odd small mouth and spangled emperor thrown in. I took a break at one stage and dropped a knife jig down and got smashed big time half way up but it must of had teeth as I lost the jig after a couple of big head shakes. With the esky looking very red and muscles hurting we decided to try in behind Arlington reef for a trout. I pulled up on a spot I marked on the way out and it was on again a assortment of red throat, trout and emperors climbed all over everthing we dropped down we also got done over by some very large fish one of which ripped a handline clean out of my hands and into the drink. We caught a 57cm bluespot trout here so it may of been his big brothers. By 1:00pm we had had enough so a stop at Vaslof sand cay for lunch on the way home and I had two tired kids nodding off to sleep on the trip back home. "I don't care if it blows for a while I have got to recover." Andrew.

cyclone
03-07-2006, 08:28 PM
me with a nanny

cyclone
03-07-2006, 08:30 PM
ryan trout

cyclone
03-07-2006, 08:32 PM
redthroat + trout

cyclone
03-07-2006, 08:32 PM
More reds

cyclone
03-07-2006, 08:33 PM
More

cyclone
03-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Boff head emperor?

cyclone
03-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Ryan at work

cyclone
03-07-2006, 08:36 PM
A top spot for lunch.

cool_deaf_dude
03-07-2006, 08:37 PM
:o oh cool dude
what a catch of all the red . i might call you when i go up to carins in summer .

cool_deaf_dude
03-07-2006, 08:38 PM
the last one photo for the lunch spot look like a good place for gt so are there any ??

Big_Ren
03-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Gidday Andrew. That last shot has the makings of a great post card. Awesome report, awesome fish and great to see the kids etting amongst 'em.

Cheers
Paul [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Spaniard_King
03-07-2006, 08:45 PM
Top Stuff Cyclone ;)

Did ya get any pics of the sounder??

great pics of the kids, hope your not gunna tell us thats the norm for you.

cheers

Garry

check ya PM's too

cyclone
03-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Garry posted pics on your report. Best bit of gear I've bought in a long time. Andrew.

scuttlebutt
04-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Great fish there Andrew. I went out yesterday but was put off by the breeze early so didn't go to the reef. Still managed a few, but like everyone else am looking forward to a decent spell in the wind

cheers,

steve

cyclone
04-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Yes Steve I know what you mean report wasn't that good but in the daylight it looked ok 12knts was about all it got to. I don't know if you use the buoyweather site but i find it a lot more predictable than the bom site. Roll on September. Andrew.

noodlemantra
04-07-2006, 09:44 AM
great fish, and what a beauty of a lunch spot.

Smailesy
04-07-2006, 10:08 AM
nice fish Andrew

bdowdy
04-07-2006, 10:40 AM
;)nice fish and top spot ( its ahard life this fishing) . cheers bdowdy ;D ;D

craigie
04-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Great catch there Cyclone !!!

Kids would have had a ball !!

Do you have a shot of a full esky ?

Go the Cyclones !!!

Cheers
Craigie.

scuttlebutt
04-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Yes Steve I know what you mean report wasn't that good but in the daylight it looked ok 12knts was about all it got to. I don't know if you use the buoyweather site but i find it a lot more predictable than the bom site. Roll on September. #Andrew.

I've been using seabreeze.com.au and find it's pretty accurate, but was just a little
gun-shy with the windy conditions of late. By the time I realised it was going to flatten off it was too late to get out to the reef.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was some of these guys that bit you off and stole your handline. We found a few good ones in close so it wasn't a total waste of time

cheers,

steve

cyclone
04-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Nah. Steve these things were bricking us in the reef, stolen jig was probably a b/cuda I think I intended to put a float out but I was a bit busy with the kids on board a short troll did produce a couple of scaley mackerel. You can't complain about those Macks not far from home would I be right guessing the wreaks.

Cragie yeah the kids had a ball had a bit of trouble getting them out of bed this morning. No esky shot but trust me I had to take the sangers out and pack it well, but none wasted even give the heads to some asian friends who make soup out of them.

fishface
04-07-2006, 08:26 PM
great pictures and fish ..well done.
i went out sat late avo ..intending to anchor up at green island then next morning straight to the reef. but saturday avo the chop was too much so got behind double island for the night. then on sunday morning the seas were still rough but made it too arlington hoping for that predicted chop to ease. no luck and my pom visitor was a bit green under the gills so headed for green island . ended up snorkling for the day and a few beers by the poolside.(aint all bad). picture of the pome looking a bit happier on dry land
iam with you steve ...ive had a gut full of this wind and chop.
daniel