PDA

View Full Version : Had a great day...Northern Bankish

revs57
02-07-2006, 05:00 PM
After the disappointment of a false start last weekend and a promising BoM report but with a fluctuating Seabreeze report after considering it was coming from the westish direction, I called the troops together for "communion" for the wee hours of Saturday morning.

I had been chatting with Dave Claussen (ala Mr Riptide Alloy Boats) through the week and Dave said he was heading out with Christian (yep, our mate who had his boat nicked recently) Russ and Billie - Christian's usual (or should i say unusual) deckie!!!

The crew on Flamin Riptide was Swano, Hodgie and my nephew Leigh. #It was Hodgie and Leigh's first trip to the Banks area. #Hodgie has been going pretty hard lately so it was good to get him out for some well earned R&R.

We left #Brisvegus around the 1.45am mark, picked the lads up from BP Caboolture and met #another Riptide "Prozak" to head for M'ba. #When we fueled at the Pt Cartwright Shell the attendent told us of huge seas and 40 knot winds out wide and apparently some blokes had turned around and come in, so we weren't really too sure what we were getting into.

There was a cue at the ramp out to the street so I figured it couldn't be too bad and finally after launching and getting under way we gingerly poked our head out around the headland for a look see. #It wasn't too bad, certainly not 40kts and the supposed huge seas weren't so bad, which got us wondering what the servo attendant was on about, so we headed to the northern banks area. #Another of our Riptide mates with us in "Wot Eva" cooked his black anchor on the way out and needed a tow in. Jamie already had help on hand so we continued the journey through some washing machine slop but were able to make reasonable progress.

On the way out Shano in "Rippa" (another Riptide - man, they are getting popular) radio's us that the run out wide was making fishing hard in the conditions so we decided to fish some promising territory some 5k shy of our original destination that we snooped out.

After surveying the ground we located a number of rocks with good "show" (Foxy - you trained me well!!) so began to set our drift.

With the wind whistling 15-20 from the Nor' west we tried to anchor but it kept pulling, so we decided to reverse into the chop to try and control the drift. #

The lads began to boat some squirey snappery things around the 2.5kg mark when the nephew hooked into something quite substantial. #He was battling it well, so we began to give him some of the banter that Flamin Riptide is becoming known for...but too his credit he kept his cool and boated a nice snapper to around 6.5 kgish. #Nice Fish! #The look on his face said it all!!!. #After that there was no stopping him or his mouth!!! Cheeky little bugger.

Swano was fishing well contibuting to our growing tally with some nice solid snappery things around the 3plus kg and a nice maori cod to a couple of kgs...but Hodgie was pretty quite. #Eventually the big fella got onto a nice snapper and broke the drought.

Anyway we looked up to see 4 more boats had come to the drift party...it was almost like a parking lot. Really had to work the drifts carefully now...talk about muscling in uninvited...

As the wind began to drop out we decided to anchor on one of the rocks we were doing well off...so I ran the boat up to the top of our drift...there was another boat about 20 metres away when I dropped the pick.

When he got to inside 10 metres I called out to the other skipper and deckie who had their backs turned to us so they'd know we were there. #He acknowledged the call and retorted that he knew we were there and that they would pass in front of us. (he looked a bit miffed I must say) #I said I thought they might but as a matter of courtesy thought I'd say hi and gave him a "ya doin' any good?" #"Yes we're doin O.K. but we'd be doing better just over there" #pointed to where I had just anchored. #I quipped "yeah, its pretty hard when people come in uninvited next to you isn't it?" his body language told me he wasn't impressed...then I just couldn't help myself and continued "we were first boat here and have been working this patch for 3 hours" #He got the message and motored off...

It never ceases to amaze me when people move in on the patch you are clearly working over, then try and make out you're the one in the wrong. #Look, I know the sea is a big place but I reckon if you've put the work in to establish the fishability of an area and as first boat in you are intitled to work the ground well and you have right of way...and I'd reckon if someone wants in...at the very least they should ask...or perhaps, if they must, ping it on the GPS and come back when you've finished your run that session. #It happened to us again later in the day as well...

By this time the wind had dropped out almost completely and we got into a lovely session, almost bagging out on nice snapper setting out on our way to boat up a nice mixed bag of lovely reefies. #

Hodgie must've got cocky 'cause he put away the 6ft medium penn jig stick/rovex big boss 6500 with 30lb braid and reached for this lightweight 7 ft graphite stick mounted with a small Penn affinity loaded with 10lb braid.

I laughed...man is he gonna get smoked!!! #And after boating a nice squirey thing, parroty thing and pearly thing he loads up - his commentary said it all "Awwwww, shooot...don't do that, don't go there, here, come here, no not there, no...o-oh...I think he knows he's hooked now...now don't do that...bzzzzzz....ping...goodbye!!!! #We were all ROFLOAO...What a hoot...

I had chimed in with a very nice 'lippa to 6kg plus and a stonker venus and a couple of snapper...dropping my best at the back of the boat after fouling the trim tab...I hate that!!!!

The nephew is getting real lippy by now...

Dave and the boys on "Riptide" had been having a good session too, but we decided we'd head to another area. We up anchored and went to another spot further north to be tailed by another boat.

After surveying the ground, we worked out our drift and started to fish. #This other boat that tailed us was going around and around for about 10 minutes some 20metres astern and then anchored right in the path of our drift! I couldn't believe it! I was a little less charitable that time and gave the bloke a spray...actually had to calm the lads down a bit. #I didn't want 10 balls being hurled from Flamin Riptide, its not as if we can hide in a crowd!!!...The bloke finally got the message and up anchored and off but fair go! #I know no one person owns the ocean but surely there is some ettiquette? Perhaps I should start a thread on this one elsewhere although I'm sure its been hashed over before...

Anyway we finally bagged out on snapper, added a couple of nice gold spot wrasse...man they are a spectacular #fish straight out of the water...and by around 4.00pmish called it.

We motored over to "Riptide" to see Dave boat a nice snapper. In the next moment Christian is in and finished off a nice snapper and the guys have these 2 beautiful fish holding them up for a photo...cheeky bludgers...those fish looked beautiful glistening in the late afternoon sun. Can't wait to see the photos

It had almost glassed out for the run home...4500 rpm 55klm/hour saw us home in the post sunset hew.

What a great day and despite the couple of minor incidents with inconsiderate others it certainly wasn't enough to take the shine off a great day.

Final tally - an esky full of fish, caught with great blokes and a mouthy nephew ;D ;D ;D on a great day!!!

By the way...did I say we had a great day?

I'll post the photo's later....we had a G-r-e-a-t D-a-y!! #Oh, I think i said that already...

Til next time

Cheers

Rhys

Any_Weather
02-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Rhys, sounds like you are pretty happy. Good to see the banks still fishing well. I hope to get out there in a week or so and give them a shot. Look forward to seeing the photos. Will have to catch up out there one day.
Lee

indy
02-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Was good to be out there what sort of depth did you get your sweety in

cheers pete...

revs57
02-07-2006, 06:05 PM
G'day Lee,

Good to see you back in the land of Oz...hope the states treated you well...yep still good fish out there...when you can get out...the weather has been all over the place lately (excuse the pun)

I think we were in around 55 metres when we caught the 'lippa Pete

Dave
02-07-2006, 06:42 PM
That is a great read Rhys. Sounds like you had a great time :). Will have to catch up with you. Were both in the same area. Good to see the banks still fishing well. Good stuff.

Dave

seapup
02-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Hi Rhys,
Sounds like you had a great trip! Well done mate! I heard your mate on the vhf about 4am saying he had smoke pissing out of his motor!! Bet he was spewing he missed a good fishing session... >:( Sounds like everyone did well at the Banks and Hard over the weekend!
Cheers,
Ben. ;)

revs57
02-07-2006, 07:34 PM
The nephews first snapper

revs57
02-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Swano jealous as Leigh backs up with a second, but Leigh giving back as good as he gets!!!!

revs57
02-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Swano working his noodle on a nice fish

revs57
02-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Nice lippa

revs57
02-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Christian and Billie at the stern of "Riptide"...you wouldn't want to see them turned around ;D ;D ;D

gawby
02-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Good report there Rhys.
Some nice fish caught there. ;)
Gotta give up work one weekend and the house nenows im doing and give the gawbyii a run before the fuel goes stale. ;D
Graeme :)

Tunzafun
03-07-2006, 07:42 AM
Hi Rhys,

Great report, good to see you got amongst them as well. I totally agree with you about the fishing ettiquette and giving the first boat there the room to move. #I also like to drift an area, check out the structure and where the fish are sitting, see what the run is doing and which way you will swing before anchoring up. #Makes it hard when other boats start acting like 'seagulls chasing chips'.

We came home a bit later than you but it sounds like the run was similar (42kmh @ 4200 rpm). It was a great day and I am watching the weather for the next opportunity. #I have a 'banks virgin' that thinks it can overcome the thought of the distance out to sea if the fishing is that good LOL. I've told him he will need a new rod and reel! His little spinning outfit just won't cut it amongst the big stuff.

Hope to catch up with you next time.

Ross

revs57
03-07-2006, 07:42 AM
G'day hainsey...yeah be good to catch you up out there...I'd give a quick call first though mate...the lads are a bit toey now when a boat they don't know approaches and I'd hate to see a 10 ball fired at you ;D ;D ;D

good on ya Ross, yeah saw your report and looks like you got among them too...I reckon your mate with the light gear and Hodgie should get on the same side in the same boat...be a hoot to watch them both load up and "help" each other pull their fish up ;D ;D

Yeah Ben, we had a great day. I haven't seen Jamie yet but he was so looking forward to this trip..poor bugger...but I know where he can get a good late model150efi merc with 100hrs on it to replace his 140 with ::) ;D ;D ;D.

Everything has its place Graeme...work, reno's and trips to the banks...Hope to see GawbyII out there next time...all work and no play makes Graeme a dull boy ;D ;D ;D

Fixation
03-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Hey Rhys,

I should have gone out there but only had me and the deckie this time. We decided to head over cal 12 mile. Fish were a little touchy too. Didn't do so well - some moses, snapper and one lipper. Got smoked by a few big things. I had problems with some boats over that way too. 2 boats near us earlier in night decided to stay after dark and had no nav lights. One had not even a dolphin torch on board. So I gave em a couple of 1,000,000 candle spottie for a bit after I collected the anchor cause I thought I was gonna touch em with the hull. Ceases to amaze me the stupidity of some people. Anyway sounds like you had a great time. I'll give you a call this week sometime....

Craig.

revs57
03-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah Craig,

We had a great day!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Rhys

Big_Ren
03-07-2006, 11:32 AM
A1 report again Rhys....when the offshore powerboats come to town, the ramps can get pretty crowded. Not sure what Kawana ramp was like but we put in at Coastguard about 3.30am Sunday and half an hour later boaties had to park on the street as all the fast boats were parked on the eastern side of the carpark. I assume you launched at Coastguard.

Once again, you cleaned up and scored some really nice fish. i assume you had "A GREAT DAY" ;D ;D

Thanks for the warning about calling first on the radio if we see you offshore. Will approach with caution after radioing first ;D :o

Cheers and well done again
Paul ;)

revs57
04-07-2006, 07:16 AM
G'day Paul,

Launched from Kawana side around the 3.30am mark ...didn't realise the powerboats were around 'til we heard a couple of blokes talk about it on the radio.

Mate, the radio will help, and a white flag too ;D ;D

oh, by the way, yeah, we had a great day ;D ;D ;D.

Cheers

rhys

craigie
04-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Can anyone tell me if Rhys and the "Flamin Riptide" had a great day on the Banks last weekend ? ;)

Great report mate !!!

I'll tell you why there are more and more Riptides appearing around the place, it's because your producing the results and your magnificent boat get's you there 8-)

Keep up the good work,

Cheers
Craigie.

revs57
04-07-2006, 06:54 PM
Hey Craigie...

Where on earth did you get the idea that we had a great day? ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for your encouragement about the Riptides Craig...they sure a one hellava great fishing platform and Dave never cuts corners...

And yeah, I guess you're right...we did have a great day ;D ;D ;D

cheers

rhys

bidkev
06-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Hey Rhys!? I was wondering if you were having a great day, whilst I was chasing my tinny down at the pin?

Nice report mate and I agree with you, those gold spots are beautiful when they first come up..good chewin' too.

Hope to get out there with you one day mate.......weather....deckie's shifts, and all the other negative influences accounted for.

kev

Deiter
09-07-2006, 04:10 AM
G'day Rhys,

Bloody good read that, glad you you enjoyed it.

I too am with you on the issue of boats coming too close.
Jeez, that really 5hits me. i'm trying to think of something that annoys me more, but can't.

do these guys have no respect? do they think they are big and tough and untouchable? well i'll tell you what, AINT NOBODY TOUGHER THAN THAN A 10BALL AT MACH6. I was a bit of a cricketer in my day (still play a bit) and i tell ya, a guy w/ a decent arm can blow holes in a pressed sheetie if his polite requests for fishing room go unheaded!!! (let alone flesh and bone, but thats not playing nice now, is it?)

I think you should mould a few kilo's worth just for this purpose and hand them out to the crew as they surrender their boarding passes and prepare for take off. Ha Ha Ha.

ok. deep breaths....

nice fish by the way!

deiter