PDA

View Full Version : townsville-keeper reef

huiti1
05-07-2006, 01:26 AM
hi everybody, how are you all doing? hope well. I went to keeper on monday in my mate's boat with his friend from work and another bloke visiting from mt. Isa. left the boat ramp at around 5:30 and we where fishing by 7:30. got some trouts as soon as we arrived and when they started to get too small moved around a little. eventually atracted some spaniards with some pilchards but the REAL fun was when my mate casted a lure and got hit a couple of times without hooking up.then i casted with my now "magic" lure and it was on after two turns, and they kept comming the same way. we didn't get any moster and the bigger ones hit on unweighted pillies. got some trevally too. got a bit disapointed with the few trouts that we pulled in but is not surprising with the number of boats in the area. at least another 5 more boats where in the area by the time we got there along with three trawlers(resting but still fishing with handlines)
overall a lot of fun.the sad note was the bloke visiting.definetly he won't be getting in a boat any time soon, after 10 min fishing started to create his own "berley" over the side of the boat and kept doing so for the rest of the day. boy i'm just glad i was born with sea legs and a strong stomach.
see ya on the water

Smailesy
06-07-2006, 04:43 PM
not a bad day at least the berley trail was consistant

noodlemantra
06-07-2006, 05:06 PM
any pics mate? we've been having shockin winds of late too which can be frustrating

huiti1
06-07-2006, 10:08 PM
unfortunately we got too hot headed to think about taking some decent pics on the boat but i'll post a small spaniard taken on my magic lure and some of my share back home. :-[

huiti1
06-07-2006, 10:09 PM
some of my share in the esky back home

Mozza
07-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Cool!!

Still a spaniard virgin and am looking forward to getting my first.

News from the long w/e was there wasn't much around - the Salamander car-park wasn't firing, some catches along the front of the Cape for die hard trollsters, no doggies in the 'Bay. So gettin' out a bit further was the way to go.

Got one report from a mate who came round West Point on a joy ride to find XOS doggies smashing up between West Pt and Pallarenda. They were eating those 1-2" schools of fry that the mack tuna like so much. Couldn't get a hit despite working them over with plenty of different slices. Pillies might have worked but he had no bait. Interesting, given the slack tides.

Hoping to have a couple of pre-work sessions next week.

Mozza

huiti1
07-07-2006, 05:50 PM
hey mozza, I was in the bay on sunday and as you say there was nothing much (besides 100 boats trying to catch a feed ;)) i found the school your mate told ya and they looked more like tuna than doggies to me. i also triend to troll them and cast slices but nothing worked. later I found a school of nanygai 5-10 cm short of legal.not saying where. I'll go on sunday and see if they have grown ;D ;D
see ya on the water

Mozza
08-07-2006, 02:09 PM
huiti,

Might know where those nanny's were and they're ALWAYS 2-5 cm undersize.

Unlikely AB (my mate) mistook the tuna for doggies - of course he could've bin' pulling my leg.

Cheers
Mozza

nonibbles
08-07-2006, 04:36 PM
Went to B/Rock / Westpoint area on Thursday so many spaniards they became a pain in the but. #Every one of 'em 5cm under sized. #Heaps of those schools bustin up over the shallowish area between pallerenda and W/point. #Didn't catch too many of the macks on the surface even though alot of surface action around. # Most were caught in mid water on half pillie and single hook. #We changed to single hook to help get them off quickly because we didn't want to get caught with dead ones in the boat. #No fish brought home but back of boat covered in spano blood. #Good fun.
In arvo it was very lumpy so decided to try the Ross River for an endless supply of 15-20cm grunter in the mouth. Again nothing for the esky but hopefully some signs for the future.

huiti1
09-07-2006, 10:43 PM
well nonibbles seems like you had fun. as for the future we'll see but i'm not very optimistic.I have only been in townsville for 2 years but i keep hearing stories about how good the fishing was some years ago compared to now.well, lets pray for a better fishing future anyway.

see ya all on the water