PDA

View Full Version : Caloundra sunday

chillers
10-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Reading the other reports makes this one hard to write :'(.

We headed out with Fishhunter in his new 6m frontier polycraft what a boat ;). We left Caloundra crossing the bar at about 7:30am conditions were great. With not much time on our side we stayed in close the first drop was at three mile i think thats what it's called where we found some good signs on the sounder, the only thing we managed was a lot of small sweetlip after a lot of persistance we ended up moving to another spot near by same thing again with a bonus being leather jackets >:(. We decided to head back at about 11:00am the water was low on the bar. Before picking our time to cross a haines went before us and got screwed in by a wave with another hiting him right on the side it didn't look good but he straightend up we went through all was good it just goes to show how careful you need to be :o. Did anyone else manage anything in close or was it the same scenario. All in all it was a good day to just get on the water.

cheers Dazza ;)
chillers

Ratman
10-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Dazza,

Whats that bar like mate. I hear their is no channel and it shelves up as quickly as it drops off.

Any advise.

Mick

FishHunta
10-07-2006, 03:17 PM
G'day Mick,

I havn't been thru the calaoundra bar in really bad conditions, with most trips done with little swell & 10-15 knot winds. A fellow fisher whom has had plenty of experience, has told of some horror stories. It seems true that there is no channel to speak of as i had a hunt around at high tide to try & find the best route. The main prob we had yesterday was coming back an hour before a 0.22m low tide with water under the boat getting scarce, down to 0.4m at times.
As I get more experince with wind direction & tide direction I will post my results, maybe a more experienced local could chip in some tips??

Cheers,
'Hunta

Smailesy
10-07-2006, 04:20 PM
lucky the haines didnt go over

barfly
10-07-2006, 04:40 PM
i was out at the 5 ml on sunday and found things a bit quiet but did manage a sweety a good snapper and a couple of mackeral and at bray rock picked up a guy spearing he managed to get himself into trouble and was along way from his boat . he was very gratefull for the lift back to hisboat cheers barfly

goat
10-07-2006, 05:34 PM
i've been crossing cal. bar for over 23 years no probs yet. when you're comming in at low tide just get right on top of a swell/breaking wave and ride it over the shallows. going out is always esier as you can always find a gap in the bank by watching the waves breaking.
later
goat.

barfly
10-07-2006, 05:47 PM
makes sense but do you think some people have any at times last week a tinnie was flipped on the bar a14 yearold was driving at the time lucky the new laws on life jackets have come in cheers barfly

chillers
11-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Ratman

I think Goat has hit the nail on the head there in what he has said, the only thing to possibly add is to keep the momentum up if you happen to fall away from the wave, at the same time keeping the leg of the motor up high enough to miss the sand. You don't want the second wave coming up from behind and throwing you around ;), please correct me if this is wrong any one.

chillers