PDA

View Full Version : Goldy Boys at the Banks

Spaniard_King
09-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Hello all,

The weather forecast was too good to pass up so I got a few of the locals (Rob and Willo) together with my son Brandon for a trip to the famous Barwon Banks. Got up Saturday to absolutely wonderful weather, called the guys and started packing the boat. Being the first trip to this area we did as most do and took way too much stuff, plan was to get to the Barwon banks by 4 pm and fish the late arvo into the night, hopefully having a sleep and then fishing the morning.

Hit the road at 10:45 am with our first hiccup just after we got onto the highway north of Brisbane, a brake calliper on the boat trailer had jammed on( aren't boat trailers a wonderful thing) a quick pitstop to fix it had us going again in 10 minutes. Arrived in Mooloolaba around 1 PM with a quick stop at the local shell bowser for $171 in the boat and $90 in the car we were headed for the ramp. By 1:40pm we were heading out of the Mooloolaba harbour. After trying to log on with the VHF and no success I managed to log on with the 27meg ::) (later found out I could hear everybody but no-one could hear us :'( )I had some marks off a local for some bait so we headed for this reef some 34klm off Mooloolaba in what could be described as "AS GOOD AS IT GETS" type conditions (see pics) Made the bait reef in good time only to find very little on the sounder, so after a quick look we continued on another 14.5klm to our fishing area some 49klm from Mooloolaba.

After sounding around the guys soon had baits in the water and immediately hooked onto some pearlies and teraglin. we spent an hour here with non of the target species (Snapper) coming aboard. I convinced the boys we need to look elsewhere so we made our way 4klm to the north to another spot with plenty of boats fishing along the way we new we had to be in the right place. Stopped on some good ground for a few drops and nuthing really happening we decided to go back to the first place and wait for the bite.

We arrived and setup as before except up until now I had not dropped a line, with all the boys fishing bottom bashing rigs and very little current I decided a floater type rig was required. A nice big fat slimy mackerel was despatched, the bait couldn't have been in the water any more than a minute on freespool and it got slammed, wooohoo I was on a good fish a good 5kg snapper being landed. In lightening time willo had the bottom basher stowed and the floater in the water, not before long a steady stream of Snapper was coming aboard with some horse fish being lost as well. Funniest thing I ever seen was watchin willo sending a bait down with his prize fishing rod and reel (Stella worth $1200 and rod worth $800) he was casually letting the bait down when it got hit and he nearly dropped the rod over the side, I had visions of us having to perform CPR on him...LOL

Around 9 the fish bite had slowed and Rob and Brandon went for a kip, willo and I stayed on the rods with willo getting hammered by an unstoppable and just the od squire coming up which we released. after an hour or so Rob got up stating it was hard to sleep in the cabin so I decided to give it ago. The Northerly wind was blowing 5-7 knots and slapping against the hull which did make things uncomfortable sleeping. I lasted till 11pm when we all decided that we went going to make the morning fishing session. We made a quick count of the catch and turned the boat for the Mooloolaba harbour 48.9klm, about 65min later we were in the harbour.

After packing the boat we stopped to top the fish up with fresh ice and made our way back to the coast. Pulled in at home at 4am we quickly parked the boat and the boys headed off for nap.

We all met today around 10 am and cleaned the fish and the boat.... all the fun stuff :o)

cheers

Garry

Pics to follow

Spaniard_King
09-07-2006, 06:58 PM
more

Spaniard_King
09-07-2006, 06:59 PM
my first

Spaniard_King
09-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Willo

Spaniard_King
09-07-2006, 07:00 PM
My Son with the best of the trip. a 7kg fish.

he now commands his own spot ::)

Spaniard_King
09-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Willo again

Spaniard_King
09-07-2006, 07:02 PM
Bag count

Spaniard_King
09-07-2006, 07:02 PM
last one

cheers

Garry

seatime
09-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Well done, bet you're planing the next trip already. Just like the brochures 'it doesn't get any better'.

rgds

snappa
09-07-2006, 07:16 PM
all i got to say is

"bugga"

Smailesy
09-07-2006, 07:18 PM
bad start to the day but ended real good great fish

620sf
09-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Looks like you had a cracker of a first trip Gary, the weather was perfect for a afternoon trip.

Luke

John_R
09-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Don't worry Pete, I will take you out there and get you a snappa. # ;) Got one 6.3kg last week (and bagged out). #;D

Nice haul boys.

Regards

John

Spaniard_King
09-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah Luke,

we were spoiled for a first trip :) Like I said herd all the crew on the radio but couldn't get the vhf to transmit (pulled the mic appart today, cleaned her up all good now ::))

I could hear #Outsiderskip, Foxy, 50/50 Spiro (yeah snappa they were baggin you real bad #;D)

cheers

Garry

Burley_Boy
09-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Garry you scored full marks on the weather, congrats on the trip and the Snapper. You surprise me with the first Snapper count though. You've been chasing the Spaniards too long I guess :)

Should be fairly safe from cig there too, are you tucking into them yet?
Cheers mate see you on the water.
BB

Brejen
09-07-2006, 07:46 PM
GO THE GOLDIE BOYS

Good stuff Garry and crew, bloody hard to beat it up there isnt it, except the drive home.

Great to see Willo with a Snapp in his hands and not a bloody 50lb Spainyard ;D. And Brandon will never let you out there again without him, good stuff Brandon, top marks on beatin the old boys mate..

GArry we'll have to get the Tribe from the goldie together and all head up there for a run soon hey. I know a few others that are itchin as well.

Good onya guys!!!!!!

Brett

Spaniard_King
09-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Hi BB,

mate I hooked into a huge feed of snappas tonight exactly 3 months to the day since I got ciga 8-)

hey brett was that your rig I saw down at Drews ( Currumbin triming) gettin some work.. saw an Ausfish sticker on her??

we'll have to catch up soon ;)

Garry

seapup
09-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi Gary,
Well done mate! Glad you experienced some of our sunny coast snapper!
Ben. ;)

longtail
09-07-2006, 08:11 PM
nice catch Garry ;)

i plan on getting up to the banks in a few weeks hopefully :-/

Jason

cyclone
09-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Nice fish Garry perfect conditions guess your happy with the sounder hey!

Andrew.

Brejen
09-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah Garry that was her mate. She couldnt hide from anyone, a few saw her down there.

will post some pics on the new clears shortly.

Brett

Great_White
09-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Hi Garry

Nice catch!!! :) Can't get much better than this!

Are you going to change your username to "Snappa_King"

Most envious of your catch and couldn't happen to a more deserving guy!

Peter :)

Spaniard_King
09-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Andrew,

funnily enough we couldnt find much on the sounder as far as fish goes but the country we fished certainly looked the goods ;)

GW.

Thanks for the kind words, not all the family are eating fish. Still have to get the daughter back on the road. I dunno about changin the name, I took the snappa_king/fish magnet with me ;) (willo)

cheers

Garry

Slient
10-07-2006, 07:52 AM
Garry,

Sure your money spent on fuel is worth a haul of snapper & jew
Well done... 8-)

Happy fishing
Silent

indy
10-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Good going guys so i guess the goldy will be put on hold????

blue_rogue
10-07-2006, 08:09 AM
Good on you Garry,

Its another world up there. Great to see you get into some snapper off the Banks. Have you or Willo being up there before?

After your effort I already getting excited about heading up there again.

Well done gents

Dom

scoota
10-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Good fishin Garry.
The young fella deserves a spot now hey! ;)
Scoota..

Willo
10-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi Dom
Its was the fisrt time up there for all of us and hopefully not the last :)
A lot of good ground up that way covering a huge area

pps # THanks Ian

Dave
10-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Well done Gary. So was the drive worth it ;). good to see the banks still producing the goods.

Dave

finding_time
10-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Garry , Willo

Great to see the pics. Awesome way to loose your Banks virginity , i don't know about out catching a few of the local Bankers though :o There may be wanted posters out with a nice pic of Megabite at all the Mooloolabah ramps if you keep it up. :D

Ian

Ps good to see you got a good feed of TRAG as well at least you would have felt at home with them comming aboard ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

PPs. to bad you didn't drop that rod Willo it would have been a nice morning for a dive out there, ;) I reckon it would have looked good in my collection! :D

Spectre
10-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Well done for a first trip to the Banks....an awesome catch. :o

Good to see the young bloke with a top fish......nothing better !! ;) :)
You won't be able to get him off the boat now.!!

Hope things keep improving & that ciga disapppears real quick.

Cheers
Phil

Spaniard_King
10-07-2006, 03:35 PM
The trip was definately worth the $$

I may have put $171 in the boat but we certainly didnt use that much, being the first trip I wasnt going to take any chances and whats the use of being restricted by fuel.

We will certainly be more the wiser for a return trip. I will leave out about 200kgs of gear for the next trip ::)

finding_time, ya got to bring something home to keep the neighbors happy... those trag are handy for that ;)

cheers

Garry

elephrez1
10-07-2006, 04:19 PM
well done

Big_Ren
10-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Sensational effort Garry. Glad to hear you did not suffer any recurring bouts of sickness. I take it your 3 months off the fish is up.

Cheers
Paul

SeaSaw
10-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Great effort Garry for your first banks adventure. Just don't tell anyone else from the Goldie about it. shhhhhhh!!! ;D

Cheers

Mark

hoga
11-07-2006, 12:58 PM
top work did u get them near that spot i pm u we were about 3 ks north ofit & done well hoga

Spaniard_King
11-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Hi Guys

We had a good feed on Sunday night 9th July exactly 3 months to the day we ate the dodgy Spaniard, all came thru with flying colours :)

Hoga I fished approximately 2klm north of the center of the banks in 90-95m of water.

cheers mark, although the local boys are already itching to get up there as the leather jackets are very thick out wide of the gold coast ATM. It will take a while after they go for the reefs to settle down again. Do you guys ever see the leatheries in plague proportions??/

Garry

SeaSaw
11-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Garry, I have come accross the leatheries in small numbers of the sunny coast, but never the plagues that you guys seem to get. Although deep tempest seems to have the same trouble at times, they don't seem to come much further north in big numbers.

Cheers,

Mark