PDA

View Full Version : Early morning JEW off the Tweed

flickflack
10-07-2006, 03:25 PM
HI ALL

The last Monday session with bait was pretty good fun(dont tell anyone I said that ;)) So Big Kev and me deciced to give this float lining a go and see if we could get into a few snapper. So we loaded a few pillies and hit the Tweed bar before daybreak this morning. We mooched around a bit in the dark looking for some likely looking ground and eventually anchored up . After started a bit of a burley trail kev hooked into a small squire first drop and I quickly got my two rods into action. I had one rigged with no weight and one with a small weight . I flicked the floater out the back and left it to slowly sink down as there wasnt much run at all. I took the heavier rod (with 20lbMono) and drifted a whole pillie back into the burley I felt a good hit and it started pulling line. Everything came up tide and the fish took off easily pulling drag. The floater started to scream off as well and I turned to see Kev bent into a fish as well. Complete chaos for a few minutes with the fish on the floater coming off and Kev landing a good size Squire. I was still tight on my fish and was calling it for a good Jew with all the headshakes. It popped up next to the boat as the sun was risng with beautiful silver flanks. We put it into the boat and shot the lines out agin. Kev jagged a yakka which was instantly turned into a LIVIE which was instantly turned into a screaming reel. We thought we had Jew number 2 but it popped up next to boat glowing Bright Yellow. Its the first time I have ever been dissapointed to see a 14kg King boatside. A few bonnies and small Squire later we pulled the pick to round up some more livies. After we had a few in the hatch I lobbed out one behind the boat and it got creamed by a good size Cobe which went into the esky for DIN DINS tonight. No more hits so we headed to 9 mile. First livie in the water turned into an unstoppable fish, one that I dont think new it was hooked until I put the pressure on it. It shredded the leader on the bottom after some massive headshakes. I would have liked to have seen that one.The gear was immediately upgraded and out came the elephant guns. But we only had one more hit which turned out to be a beauty of a Tusky and was also added to the esky for DIN DINS tomrow night. We had heard reports of Leatherjackets(AKA wirecutters) on the 50's so headed to the 35's first. Three drops with liveys resulted in one Ljkts and minus three sinkers and 2 hooks so we didnt go any further but turned the nose home and called it a day . Some very rapid fire action and some more truly fond memories.

Good Fishing to you all

Cheers Rod

flickflack
10-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Jewie

flickflack
10-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Tuskie

flickflack
10-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Big Kev with the King

wetnwild11
10-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Hey flickflack, wots wrong with a kingie, drop him off at my place ::) ;D ;D ;D Nice fish m8.
Cheers
Eric

Slient
10-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Excellent photography with background sunrise... 8-)
Well done mate

Happy fishing to you too
Silent

elephrez1
10-07-2006, 04:20 PM
thats a massive jew

themisses
10-07-2006, 06:10 PM
DAMN!! All we seem to get off the tweed is very wet and (me)sea sick. :'(
Would have been a beautiful day for it. Great fish!!
Kim.

Spaniard_King
10-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Well Done Rod ;)

Always good to read about your efforts. Looks like the wider grounds should be given a miss for a while hey, one of my reasons for heading to the banks last weekend ::)

A few jewies comin from the Tweed at the moment.

cheers

Garry

masterdusky
10-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Flickflack...damn thats one of the biggest Jew Ive seen since moving up horth... well done :D

Big_Ren
10-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Beautiful jewie Rod and the tuskie is no slouch either. Interesting about the lack of current...not sure what it was like off Mooloolaba on the weekend, but there was a fair bit of run the previous week.

Well done again mate.

Cheers
Paul ;)

matthill80
10-07-2006, 09:05 PM
top jewie rod i have heard of some reports of the jewies starting to show up now might have to hit down there very shortly mate u can tag along in ur rig mate the spot aint far out ;) just ask benny.

cheers matt

Az
10-07-2006, 10:17 PM
top jewie and top conditions mate... i swear you would find fish in my bloody pool the way u pull them!!

looks like a nice rig too.. is it a cat?

flickflack
11-07-2006, 08:51 AM
Paul

Yeah mate there was no run at all floaters went just about straight down.

Az

Its a Leisure Cat from Perth.

I recon we will have to give them another go in the week.

Cheers Rod

Edmo
11-07-2006, 06:16 PM
is it just me or are most of the kingies caught arond the tweed got that bacteria that turns em to mush when yer cookem.
lately i`ve found its not worth bringin them home so release has been the go aftera good fight and a snap.
top jew and parrot Rod my hats off to yer :)

flickflack
12-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Edmo

We never take the big ones home,always release them so havnt really noticed. We havnt found it in any of the rat kings yet they have all been pretty good

Cheers Rod