PDA

View Full Version : Another Good Day???? Maybe...Nth Bankish 11/7

revs57
12-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Given the fantastic weather lately we decided to give Tuesday a go to try and get away from the weekend hustle...the weather report looked like a hooter and the crew, Joeley, Birdy and Swano were itching for a good trip.

After departing M'ba by 3.30 am we made good time to the northern banks area bumping through the odd sloppy bit occasionally finding angel gear to get there well before sunup. We'd been given the heads up about a good ledge not far from where we fished the other weekend, so we sounded around but after failing to locate it we began to drift a couple of decent rocks we turned up that had good show. #It wasn't long before we began to get the familiar belting runs, head thumping bumps of good snapper. #After boating quite some really solid samples around the 4kg we moved to another area up in the Hard to see if we could hunt down some larger varieties.

Not having been in that neighborhood a lot, we sounded around a starter mark I had...found some fishy looking structures but after anchoring, burleying and giving it a good go and failing to boat anything larger than we already had we decided to head for the more familiar areas we have done well in previously to work on a feed.

By now the morning bite was well and truely over so we had to work pretty hard over a couple of familiar areas, pulling the odd fish from around 68 metres.

There were a few highlights on the trip. #At one point Birdy pulled out the knife jig on the "come here" gear. To see our mate doubled up and almost pulled out of the boat on each of his first 4 drops by xos Amberjacks was an absolute hoot. #Birdy, you've just gotta put some meat on them bones...go to the gym and work out or something...Jason failed to boat any of these bandits but the way they hit, took line with the drag set to sunset and fought left little doubt as to what was doing the damage. Another hint came on the 5th drop when Jason boated a pup AJ of about 6kg.

Joeley loaded up the TLD25/Live fibre on a jig and gets really excited only to boat a foul hooked happy moments...must've been the saddest moment in Joeley's trip...what a let down - and didn't we let him know...Welcome aboard Flamin Riptide Joeley!!!

At one point Swano was messing with soft plastics gulps on his Shimano excell weapon 6-10kg 701snpr matched to a Penn Affinity 4000 loaded 20lb suffix etc, and his other outfit fondly knicknamed "the noodle" was resting in the corner rod holder with a scuzzy piece of squid on for bait...I'm in the corner when it goes off. #Swano said..."go on then!", and from the time I picked up this lump of spaghetti, to the moment a pup sambo hit the floor of Flamin Riptide I was in stitches of laughter...I haven't laughed so hard for a very long time...this rod was literally doubling over like a snake holding its tail in its mouth...man it was so funny...the drag screaming and the rod totally unable to put any grunt into the fight...Lump of lard!!! It was literally flexing right through the butt end of the Rod...Swano proudly told me he picked it up at a Garage Sale...Any wonder I reckon!!!!

Swano boated a really solid Snapper on a gulp on his light gear....Joeley chimed in with a good contribution of solid fish and banter all day (apart from the sad moment when he really copped some!)...he picked up the culture of flamin' riptide very quickly...these young blokes have no respect when it comes to banter...The boat tax increased with every quip!!!

The skipper was using the infamous Rovex Big Boss/Penn Sport all day boating some very nice snapper and a very solid green job fish...First time I'd ever caught one of those but man don't they go! #Glad I had the new drag in - I'd smoked the drag at the Fraser Comp and true to their warranty Penn replaced it without a question (thanks Ken!)...it worked really well and enabled a good fish to be boated.

We moved again to the outside of the Northern Banks where we began to drift some really inviting structure with the most promising show we had seen all day.

Swano boated a couple of very pretty juvenile Reds...they sure are a spectacular fish, and the show is clearly being carved up and the bait now beginning to sit in layers.

Jason puts the jig down and pulls a couple of very solid fish we called for "Rosy" Job Fish which is a matter of debate. Jason is considering a thread on this so I won't spoil the discussion here. #Swano is now in on his Penn Spinfisher/Penn Sport combo with another "Rosy" and I chipped in with my jobby. The esky is now starting to fill up with the addition of a few tuskies, moses perch, pearlies and hussar.

At around 3.00pm we called it for a 4200rpm/50plus klm/hr run home in glassy conditions.

The fact that it was overcast most of the day took the shine of what would have been a great day (pardon the pun) #awww...O.K. we did have a great day!!!

Final tally...an esky full of lovely Snapper, Pearlies, Venus Tusk, Hussar, Moses, Green Jobby, Rosy Jobby, Maori Cod...perhaps our most diverse bag since we've been fishing the banks...yeah, O.K., I'll say it, we had a great day!!!!

Cheers

Rhys

revs57
12-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Jason's "Rosy"

revs57
12-07-2006, 03:23 PM
promising show

revs57
12-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Bait being carved up and begining to sit in layers...you can see the fish doing the damage

Bass43
12-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Sounds like a great day Rees, we were at the Hards about 2.30pm on Tuesday and scored some great fish we bagged out on 3 to 6kg sanps in 60 minutes they were really going off. Went back to the northern banks at 4pm and bagged out on Pearlies and a couple of Trag Jew. Great Day. Did you see the Fisheries boys they turned uo 70k offshore in a rubber duckie to check thye catch and safty gear. :o
Cheers
John

dfox
12-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Great to see you had a top day rhys!
Its about time that birdy got out and wet a line, looks like the jigs were on fire as well, pitty he cant land the big ones ;) ;D
Look forward to having some of that jobby in the deep frier at birdy's place, i'll wait by the phone for the invite. :D
By the way there not rosy's, we just call them jobbies. talk soon ...foxy

revs57
12-07-2006, 04:14 PM
You might be waiting a while for that call Foxy!!! I was talking to Jason he's firing up Frank tonight so I'd be calling him!!! But if you miss out you'd be welciome to our table for a couple of bits of Green Jobby if that suits your palate

Mate he reckoned after pulling 60kg dogtooth tuna on jigs recently in Venuatu he could afford to drop a few smaller ones!!! Yeah, we learned they aren't Rosy's...Jason gave me a call last night about that, but they are of the Jobfish family from waters further north so we are led to believe...so Jobbies is good!!!

Glad you got among a few and had a great day too John ;D ;D ;D. No we didn't see the fisheries lads...good to see them out and about though ::)

Smailesy
12-07-2006, 04:14 PM
great fish

Fixation
12-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Hey Rhys,

Looks like you had a ball out there again. Conditions look perfect as well. Some nice shots of the sounder. The noodle story was funny. Great trip mate!

Regards,

Brissyguy
12-07-2006, 06:55 PM
All hail Rhys the slayer lol. ;)

Excellent day out I'd say Rhys, gotta love it when a plan comes together.

You should write professionally Rhys, great reading.

Cheers,
# # # # # #Rich

indy
12-07-2006, 07:02 PM
G'day rhys sounds like a great trip with a lot of laughs to be had and some nice fish also and during the week cant ask for more than that.

Have pm you

cheers pete

swano
12-07-2006, 08:36 PM
hey ! hey ! whats with the noodle bagging ya jelly spined burnt out ex bikey [smiley=angel.gif] next time i get me noodle out [smiley=iloveyou.gif]you keep ya baity hands off it [smiley=cowboy.gif].
great piccies rhys and ya took a few pearlers on me slr as well [smiley=2thumbsup.gif].
You are right to call it a great day ,,,, in fact i don't think we ever have a bad day out there baggin the piss outa one another [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]
can't wait till the next time might have to replenish the gulp supply after yesterday.
cheers swano

heres a shot with the best lookin head left in it alone ;D

revs57
12-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Ahh Swano...me old noodle mate...what can I say...

I was so busy rolling on the floor laughing my "you-know-whattie" off I could hardly turn the handle. The drag screaming...the noodle bobbing, I'm as doubled over as the rod laughing. Just remembering the moment almost reduces me to tears of laughter ;D ;D ;D I really didn't mean to bag the noodle....I think you just bring it for entertainement value[smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]...I promise to keep my baitey hands off your noodle...but you must admit...it was fun!!!

Cant wait til the next trip...the addiction just bites harder

Cheers

rhys

Great_White
12-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Top effort Rhys, that's what I call a snapper ;D

Great read and sounds like you had a lot of laughs to go with the fish. :D

Almost makes me want to buy a bigger boat and join in on the action, that's because you make it look easier than it probably is. So I think we will just cut our teeth in the bay trying to get onto some squire and just enjoy in your offshore success.

Well done again mate :)

Peter. 8-)

Big_Ren
13-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Ahh yes Rhys....another Riptide of a Day (aka Great). And top pics of the sounder. I can almost make out the GPS mark in the reflection ;D ;D ;D

Cheers and no white flags
Paul ;)

Birdy
13-07-2006, 02:01 PM
It was a great day out.Once again i had a great time and even done a bit of fishing.

Rhys,
Mate that is all good and well on the AJ .....one day when your good enough you might hook one of the big brutes and then we will see how good you are.
Can't wait to get back out there for a giggle.
Those fish are Rusty Job Fish as far as i can tell,rarely encountered in water less than 100m deep and very rarely this far south (aparrently but i reckon Foxy might dispute that info).Everyone i have showed the pics to has just said "no idea" strait away.

Foxy,

Ya know ya welcome mate...anytime.

Can't wait till next run out........Rhys might even hook a few fish on jigs next time.

Birdy

Dogbream
13-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Comission! what for? ;D

revs57
13-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Hi Pete...yeah always plenty of laughs on Flamin Riptide, that's what happens when you go fishing with clowns!!!! Actually the fish are the cream...these blokes are all great guys...certainly breaks the boredom of work!!!

Nicely put Paul...a riptide of a day...like that! Have to catch you up out there sometime...maybe without the white flag and flak jacket? better just radio first for safety's sake!!!;D ;D ;D

Good on ya Birdy,

Was great to have you on board Flamin Riptide again...I'm holding out on my best...don't want to discourage you young blokes too early...so bring it on!!!!

But this I do know..those jobby's are a great chew! No matter what variety name they are called and the amazing thing is the variety of tropicals we have pulled at that particular rock without scoring a snapper there. The mind boggles...

Can't wait til next time

Cheers

Rhys

Rhys

reef_king
13-07-2006, 07:10 PM
great reading again and it sounds like ya had a ball catchin some good fish. Weve caught quite a few of those "jobbies" at a place near the banks i call NE ledge in about 70m of water, never caught them over 5 kilo though, still great munchin ;D

Glad to hear the fisheries out and doin there job, as i heard from a work mate that on the weekend his old boss went out to the banks with 5 onboard and came home with 40 pearlies and 35 snapper.....this disgusts me and i hope one day they get caught.

cheers ty

scoota
13-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Terrific stuff Rhys and crew, to bring home a mixed bag of quality fish is always a great feeling and throw in a few laughs, how good is it! As for the Jobbie, have caught some 6-9kg models off North Reef CQ small tooth jobby I think. Darker flesh but very tasty. ;)

Happy Days

Scoota...

Reefmaster
13-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Great stuff guys looks like everyone had a ball.
Rhys after sitting at your place Sat and looking at that great weather i just couldn't help myself and after a few phone calls to get out of work monday a trip was on. Thanks for the offer Tuesday but that day was out of the question totally. That jobbie looks alot like what i thought they called a sling jaw jobbie.

Regards,
Greg

revs57
14-07-2006, 06:00 AM
G'day Ty, I guess with technology and powerful electronics the area is now in reach of more fisho's so the banks have been under some pressure fishing so well and we've pulled our share, but we've let as many legal fish go as we've taken. #You're right, don't mind people getting a feed, but its sad to see it getting hammered. #I'd understand the way that area has been fishing over the past 6 mths or so is like a once in a 15 yr occurrance according to those who have a long track record up there...

Scoota you're right about the eating quality of the jobby...very tasty

Yeah don't blame you Greg...it was a very nice weather pattern and there'll be other times...Good to catch up with You Sam and Terry. #Saw your post on the Red fish...gotta get out there mate.

The Jobby's have been a good matter of discussion...be good to get it nailed down

Cheers

rhys

youngfisho
14-07-2006, 07:20 AM
that jobfish your holdin up i initially thought was a rosie jobfish but it may be a flame snapper? #It has a different mouth to the rosy jobfish i have caught. #Similar to this one but this appears to have brighter colours. #Pic is courtesy of amonline.net.au which is a website from the australian museum. #It was apparently caught in waters off vanuatu. then again it looks more like the same species capt asparagus posted some days ago.

andrew

youngfisho
14-07-2006, 07:24 AM
heres another pic of the capt asparagus fish

sempre
14-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Did you have a great day Rhys ? ;) ;D

Petenoosa
14-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Yeah super day out.... :).....Great pics of the snapper :)....

bidkev
14-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Another great report and pics Rhys. Well done mate, despite you making me green with envy ;D

kev