PDA

View Full Version : Sunday around Maggie Island

Stolly
18-07-2006, 08:27 PM
I decided to sleep in on saturday cause i thought sunday would be the pick of the days to head out and catch some Mackeral. Turns out that Sunday was blowing 20kn, raining and cold for the whole day. Anyway since i had all day saturday to get ready for the trip i decided to go through a list of GPS marks and plot them onto google earth to choose a plan for sunday.
Picked up two friends and put the boat in at palleranda to start the days fishing and headed to the "Barge"approx 23 km NNE from palleranda. I got to the mark on the GPS and threw over my float line so i could sound out the bottom. Rope was too short! (Depth was 20m not 10m) so it sunk. Forgot i had the shorter line on from when i was checking out closer marks. Tried again with spare anchor and water bottle but could n0t find any bottom structure anyway.
From the supposed barge i went to a mark called the Sea Hound not to far away but it was getting a bit rough to anchor up so we headed 16km back to Maggie (west point ) for protection and to do some fishing. We anchored up off the rocks around from W'Point and threw out some pilchards and burley. It was long and we had the first doggie on board and in the esky. Picked up 2 more keepers and a few smaller ones before we decided to chase some mack tuna around the bay with a selection of slices. They are always fun to catch and release. Managed to catch 5 of them between us and then head back to shore to clean fish and pack up for the day.
Despite the rain, seas and the cold it is always good to get out on the water and try your luck with the fish. Monday i felt like i had been steam rolled but looking back on it today i would do it again tomorrow.

Krazi-kev
19-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Brave as.............