PDA

View Full Version : I see Red again

Reefmaster
13-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Howdy all

Headed out the wide bay bar Sunday for an over nighter and went wide for a few reds, some big Moses Perch and AJ’s before we went into some deeper water off the shelf for some good pearlies and a comet cod. Came back into some closer grounds on dark and anchored on a new piece of ground I found last trip in hope of pulling Reds along with some other species, which can be found on the closer areas. This spot didn’t disappoint and we hooked straight into Reds one after another for hours along with some Spangled Emperor and other reefies. I caught a nice Red on a whole legal dead Tailor and it wasn’t long before we had our bag and we were throwing them back. I started floating pillies out which caught some Pearlies and snapper to add to the mix. Next morning the reds were still chewing but we had our bag so the floaters went out and we managed a few more pearlies, Hussar and snapper. We also had a sea snake, which just wouldn’t leave the boat alone and just kept hitting the side of the boat which made for some interesting viewing and some good pics. We headed in closer for a few more snapper before heading for home about 9.30am in calm conditions. It was one of those trips were everything went right and we had a blast. It was good to get among some good Reds on the closer in grounds considering were we usually fish for them. The good pics and full report in the next BnB.

Regards,
Greg

Reefmaster
13-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Back breaker

Reefmaster
13-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Some big Moses Perch around

Reefmaster
13-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Some Reds found a nice little rock

Reefmaster
13-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Some new ground on the closer in grounds which produced goods Reds and other reefies. Alot of bait and good growth on this reef which is good for reds.

Reefmaster
13-07-2006, 08:46 PM
A nice Red on dark and the next drop produced a corker :)

Reefmaster
13-07-2006, 08:47 PM
These fellas were everywhere and just hanging around the boat while we fished.

Reefmaster
13-07-2006, 08:48 PM
The sea snake who had a problem with the boat

Reefmaster
13-07-2006, 08:49 PM
What a great way to wake upto in the morning seeing this.

dfox
13-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Greatstuff greg, that sure is a great show on the sounder. No wonder you bagged out on reds.
Terry sure attracts those Aj's and they look to be getting bigger. Look forward to the bnb article ...foxy

scoota
13-07-2006, 09:15 PM
You mustn't have had much free board left coming home with all those fish [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Great stuff again greg.Looking forward to the BnB.
P.S. If I ever come across a sounding like that I think I would blow a valve!

Scoota...

Hookem_Herby
13-07-2006, 09:24 PM
What a great array of pics Greg. Always a pleasure reading your reports and seeing a master's work. Well done on a nother outstanding catch!

Herby

Ratman
14-07-2006, 01:19 AM
I never get tired of seeing those red fellas. Great work mate. Been waiting for a post from you and you didn't disappoint.
Mick

markpeta
14-07-2006, 05:06 AM
Greg top catch again. How's your boat looking going?

Mark

revs57
14-07-2006, 05:54 AM
Great to see you and Terry got out and got among them Greg. Gotta hand it to ya mate, you know how to chase a Red! Nice AJ too...reckon that musta hurt!!!
Cheers

Rhys

outsiderskip
14-07-2006, 06:08 AM
great catch greg
love the reds

pete

Fixation
14-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Nice going again Greg. Was an outstanding day weather wise on Sunday. A good day to head real wide. Looks like you came up with the goods again. Love the photos. Well done.

Regards,
Craig.

kitty_cat
14-07-2006, 09:11 AM
well done greg ,even in close grounds what do the reds just follow you around
wayne

blue_rogue
14-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Once again Greg,

You are an absolute Genius with the reds up in that country.

Great report and look forward to BNB this month

Cheers

Dom

sempre
14-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Nice work Greg , good to see .

Pecker
14-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Always look forward to your articles in BNB. Who's the better fisherman you or Terry? :o

Great pics.
Cheers
Pecker

Smailesy
14-07-2006, 10:25 AM
unreal

freedom
14-07-2006, 10:32 AM
[quote author=Reefmaster link=1152786859/0#0 date=1152786850]
Howdy all

ReefMaster, I'm blown away by those reds. :o I am a newbie to deep sea fishing and have just starting fishing the banks, I'm very lucky to have caught snapper and pearlies, but I can't wait to hook up on some reds, AJ'S and some cobes. Just how far do you have to go out to get the variety of fish and what ground do you have to look for on a sounder? Since I have only just got my boat and began fishing the banks, I would appreciate any advice you could give me to further my deep sea fishing appetite. Top stuff ReeefMaster ;)

reef_king
14-07-2006, 05:15 PM
greg,

well done mate, some nice school reds there. Did you hook any monsters, what were the pearlers like?

cheers ty

TheSlyDeckie
14-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Good stuff Red King!

Conditions don't look too bad in those photos either.

kingcobe
14-07-2006, 06:04 PM
that is one massive fish

young_mind
14-07-2006, 06:52 PM
8-) LOVE the reds :) wish I was there ;D

Anne-T-Dote
14-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Oh MAN!!!

Greg - you've done it again - simply sensational.

Anne still hasn't popped yet, so I'm still not allowed to go out wide. Imagine how I was hurting last weekend with the weather the way it was. Then all these awesome reports from the banks and wides were posted and that made me feel worse. AND THEN I read your report - ohhh I am hurting... (with jealousy)

UNREAL MAN - BLOODY UNREAL... ;D ;D ;D

ibbo
14-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Great post

Great pics

Great sunrise

Well done

IBBO

Gone_fishin
16-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi well done guys another great catch.
awesome picture of the sunrise did you shoot it on the canon?

Hayden

-spiro-
16-07-2006, 11:04 PM
hey Greg nice reds but wheres the parrot ;D ;D
only kidding exerlent catch mate 8-)

F1SH_BOY
17-07-2006, 03:30 PM
nice fish there looked like nice fish and lots of weird things hanging around your boat maybe snakes liked your berley ;D ;D ;D :D

eggbeater
18-07-2006, 07:07 PM
You Da Man! Good on ya fellas,what a top report

Come up here for the weekend Greggy & teach me how to fish.

Petenoosa
19-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Top Reds mate.....Last trip out of Noosa on Monday 10th July we saw some sea snakes as well...
they must be around in numbers.... :-?.....Its the first time I have seen them here....they are agro little f....kers too... >:(..........Those reds drive me crazy here....You catch them 2cm under continually.... :'(

seapup
19-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi Greg,
Top haul champ! You gotta be happy with that color. How was the run where you were fishing?? What size leads were u using?? I keen to head north of the Hard on my next trip to tackle some Reds. I been seeing heaps of Sea Snakes around the Hard lately. Cheeky buggers! ;D
Cheers,
Ben.

rainbow_runner
20-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Greg,

I have just started fishing up at Rainbow and am heading up for tomorrow for the comp

Still waiting to catch the big red as per the ones in the photo's......It has certainly got me inspired

Always a motivational read, look forward to the full report in BNB

Cheers

Mark - Rainbow Runner

GT_warrior
20-07-2006, 02:54 PM
[smiley=smartass.gif] [smiley=wiseguy.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=stunned.gif] [smiley=speechless.gif]

We are not worthy............................................ .................That Aj

#RESPECT

Reefmaster
20-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the comments all

Markpeta- time will tell :)

Pecker- you ask who is the better fisherman-me or the oldman. Well I haven't matched his 18.1kg Red and possibly never will so he has the bragging rights. :) But then again i did put him onto that fish. :D

Whitesnake- Reds are a tropical species so the further north you go the more likely you are to find them. Out from the wide bay bar area you can find most species in very close but for good catches of Reds the wider grounds produce more fish. Any good structure with good shows of coral/weed and bait shows will produce good fish. (basicly whats pictured in this report)

Reefking- Plenty of good school reds around with a couple nice ones among them. Nothing massive but still big fish. The Pearlies were only average ones around 3kg.

Macca- Mate it was tough but someone has gotta do it. I'm assuming as i write this you guys must be very close or if not had the baby. Good luck and I'm awaiting the news. 8-)

Hayden- Yeah mate pics were taken from the canon and still i'm not very impressed with it. The old sony i was using before hand seems to take alot better pic and after taking hundreds of pics at the Fraser Island comp with the Canon and about 5 pics with the old sony the sony produce a couple of beautiful shots and one of which went on this months front cover of BnB. So you can imagine how peeved off I'am after that.

Spiro- You and your parrot. Mate your a sick man :) Cut the parrot up for bait is the best thing you can do with those greasy buggers. ;) ;D

Steveo- Mate whats been happening these days? When are you coming for a Red fish mate. I think you may enjoy yourself as long as you don't mind not seeing land :) ;) ::)

Seapup- There was bugger all run for once but because i was chasing reds i was still using big snapper leads to get them down fast and not waste anytime. I was using a running ball sinker (4ball) for the snapper and pearlies but.

Rainbow Runner- Good to see your fishing the area and I'm sure you will enjoy. I won't be fishing the comp this year but we had a ball last year. I reckon there will be some monster Reds weighed in this year. This is the perfect time to find the big lone reds on the closer grounds. Good luck in the comp you should have a good time if the weather comes through.

Regards,
Greg

snappa
20-07-2006, 06:57 PM
reefy
got the pm and thanks

need to go and try.......

and that will be soon..?