PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Hards, Flat Battery!!!

madman1
13-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Departed Mooloolaba as mentioned on the Going Fishing section at 0300 to sloppy conditions on the way to the Hards. The swell was short with an undecided chop running over the reefs. Around one and three quarter hours later we arrived to our supposed spot X and began to burley reletively heavy.

Cobes come out of every where with none of them tempted by large squid and fresh pillies. We were waiting for the sunrise bite but it didn't really happen.

After confering with the trusty GPS it appeared the wind and tide had pushed us about 100 mteres away from our spot. We moved, then the fish started coming aboard slowly.

First was a couple of Pearlies, but only one at a time as opposed to multiple hook ups during the night. As I was fiddling with my 6500 Baitrunner it went off like a frog in a sock. Snapper number one for the Madman.

I took a mate from work who rarely gets out in the deep water and considered himself lucky the weather was "novice" friendly! He hooked one pearlie and his first Knobbie. He was wrapped.

The novices rod was then smashed by what Micky G and I thought was a large Ambo. 20 minutes later and one tired novice, the line went PINGGGG! One pissed off novice on board!

After scoring 4 Snaps around the 3 kilo mark and 4 pearlies we decided to drift towards the 80 and 100 metre mark. But with wind against tide and no sea anchor, the lines didn't touch the bottom.

After around an hour we decided to "up lines" and head directly to the 100 metre mark, when the sh!t hit the fan when the motor wouldn't turn over!!! ouch.

With only a single battery set up (which was charged only a week ot so ago) our options were limited. There wasn't a boat in site being a Wednesday and a 27 meg raido isn't going to cut the mustard. We were up sh!t creek without a battery to run the Etec.

It then occured to me that these things can be started without a battery and only one turn of the fly wheel.

How do you pull the bloody thing apart was the next question??

After some stuffing around and pulling out of some plugs we ended up starting it by turning the key and maunally turning the flywheel by hand. #####!!! it started first go!!

Then BUZZZ!! The oil light was shreaking, I had pulled all the connecting wiring out to get to the fly wheel and hadn't replaced them prior to starting the donk, consequently the motor was stopped by the deckie. We then put all the wires back and then had absolutely no power (with what little remained). We were stumped and slowly drifting to New Zealand.

After some searching we found a fuse (of which I have been told there is only one or two on an Etec) had come loose and was threatening to jump into the deep blue and absolutely screw my day up. It was put back into its socket and the starting process started again and so did the motor.

"Lets hit the Banks" I said jokingly and was quickly told to F@#$ Off and head home.

On the way back we managed to PING a couple of likley haunts that will be tested in the near future.

If the motor just decided to go into shut down mode we would have only been left with the option of firing up the EPIRB and wearing the cost if nobody came near by as we didn't have enough food or water to last us to get to NZ.

As of Saturday the boat is being fitted with a dual battery setup and the VHF will follow very shortly after.

Out of curiosity, what would it cost to be towed from the Hards to Mooloolaba when activating the EPIRB???

Until next time.

Cheers

MADMAN!!!

madman1
13-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Pics to come tomorrow!

Herm
13-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Madman

That is my worst nightmare! # :o

I will make sure the Pete reads this and hurry him along with the dual battery system that he is talking about putting in! #

What was the look on the novice's face like when the motor would not start?

Glad to hear that you got home safely! #and with a couple of fish. #

***Silly question alert*** #
I was just wondering, as I have never been offshore, - how far out can you go before you stop can't see land?????? (preferably Australia!) ::)

:)Janine

shandos
13-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi Janine

The curve of the Earth stops you seeing land after about 4.7 Km out to sea if your eye height is 1.7 m. This is the case if the land is flat. If you have a hill about 100m high you would lose sight of the top at about 40km if you had clear weather and no temperature inversions.

Regards
Shandos :)

MrWong
13-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey Mark... I told you to take your toothbrush didnt I :D
If you had a poly and a suzuki you couldt have made NZ by lunchtime ;)

Good to have ya back boyo!

See ya for that beer soon hey!

lenm
13-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Out of curiosity, what would it cost to be towed from the Hards to Mooloolaba when activating the EPIRB???

Probably more than the cost of an auxillary motor :-/ :D
Good you got home ok anyway

Ratman
14-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Yep, I would have been STRESSED in that situation. :o :o :o Unfortunately its that cold weather that usually finds them out, for what reason I don't know. Maybe someone can explain.
Mick

Mr__Bean
14-07-2006, 01:11 AM
G'Day Mark,

More to the point, did you tell Jane?????

- Darren

madman1
14-07-2006, 06:32 AM
Hell NO!! My name is Billy not Silly.

jim_farrell
14-07-2006, 07:19 AM
I keep a 10 litre drum of fresh water on board. I think it may be time to freshen it up. The tough part now is your confidence next time you go out.
Good to have you back.
Jim

Darryl
14-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Dear Mr Madman , lucky you. ;D Invest in a jumpstart pack even though you will have a dual battery setup. I bought one for a hundred bucks and as far as im concerned is a great bit of gear, for these situations especially.

Darryl.

madman1
14-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Mr Madman with a quality Snapper ;D

madman1
14-07-2006, 01:17 PM
The novice about to drop a nugget in his undies!!!

madman1
14-07-2006, 01:19 PM
No its not a snag!!!

madman1
14-07-2006, 01:21 PM
The Madman in action.

JB
14-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Hey madman, what is that your using to store your knifes and plyers in? Have you got a closer shot of it or can you tell me what that is?

Jas

madman1
14-07-2006, 01:52 PM
Its a winch handle holder.

You can get them from chandlery outlets for around $20 a pop. They work a treat.

We used them on the yachts before i discovered fishing!!!

madman1
14-07-2006, 01:54 PM
pic of holders

bidkev
14-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Bit of a frightener there mark. Glad to see you got out of it OK........dual battery is the go and if you wanna be dead sure, a jump- pack as well........with my luck it'd probably be something other than electrics anyway ;D

kev

reef_king
14-07-2006, 05:29 PM
thats a shame about the batterie, but i heard its good fishing in NZ ;D

thats why i now have 3 batteries and 2 engines, on extended trips i take 4 batteries

ty

indy
14-07-2006, 05:45 PM
G'day same thing happend to me last trip out doing a overnighter had battery no. 1 go flat lucky i have the dual setup running and that got us out of trouble,

The gps was beeping and carrying on telling me low battery power at 9.6volts so i tryed starting it up and it wouldn't turn over so flicked to no.2 and away she went, left it running for about half and hour back on no.1 for a quick charge which seem to do the trick.

Must get no.1 looked at don't want this happening again, not the best thing to be in the back of the mind.

Cheers pete...

Grey_Ghost
14-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Madman1
What size E tec and are you happy with it

Grey Ghost

madman1
14-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Grey Ghost,

Running a 90 and given it was one of the first to come out and after a few teething problems it is running great. As mentioned, I started it with a flat battery with my hands and fingers only.

The fuel efficiency is great. A trip to the hards and back only chews 40 - 50 litres and achieving speeds up to 45 km/hr ( that hards and back is around 150 km with a bit of hunting). It gets up to 67 km/hr but thats a waist of fuel thats when it gets expensive.

I did my first trip to the hards and nailed it for around 50 km at 60 km/hr and the overall trip consumed 80 litres. I was disgusted with that but apparently that is the norm. I suppose I am spoiled now.

At 3000 - 3500 rpm it goes through 10 litres / hour and currently pushes a 525 Stacer 525 Cuddy. The speed works out to be circa 1km/hr per 100 rpm depending on the weight being carried.

Come for a run if you like!!!

Hope this info helps.

BR65
16-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Even with duals you can still have problems.
Went to turn on the merc one day to move spots and nothing, except for a sick feeling in the guts.
Had to pull start the 115, which was easier than I thought it would be.
Turned out to be a relay in the ignition circuit.
Lucky it was a good day and I could remove the cowel and muck around with out copping a couple of nasty ones over the motor.
Still, not a very nice feeling, specially when youre 50kms offshore.
Regards
Brian

madman1
16-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Dual batteries and VHF now fitted. No problems now HOPEFULLY!!! lol

S_Bend
16-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Mark, good to see the pics after hearing about your story last week. Must try and catch up for a fish one day soon. I'm putting my boat in for a few improvements in the next week or so that will leave me out of action for a couple of weeks but dual batteries is one of them.

Cheers.

Lee (BoQ).

madman1
16-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Cant recommend them highly enough.

I will call you tomorrow re a lunch in the near future.

Welcome to Ausfish.

Cheers

Mark

timddo
19-07-2006, 09:06 PM
madman, how bigs your boat.

Argle
20-07-2006, 03:56 PM
It could be bull, so dont quote me on it but im curious if anyone else has tried it, a bloke told me that if you had a flat battery at sea you could tip all the acid out - hard if its a maintanace free one ;D ;D Once empty you fill the battery with sea water and this apparently recharges the battery enough to start the engine :-? :-? So whaddya reckon? Fact or fiction :-/ :-/ :-/
Nice feed of fish too by the way 8-)

Cheers and Beers
Scott

seapup
20-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Madman.
My starter motor s##t itself on the Hard last year ain October and we had to get towed in by Coast Guard Noosa! Not a nice spot to have engine failure! Took them 4 hours to tow us home! For once I could sit back and relax and knock down a few coldies on the way home!
Ben. ;D

Salty2
21-07-2006, 06:15 AM
I was the poor begger whose motor quit two sundays ago off Mooloolaba. :'( What a cracker of a day to miss out. >:( #Lucky I was only 1 km off Pt. Cartwright. #I couldn't fix it so called Coast guard who towed me back at 22 knots in ten minutes. #I gave them a donation but the running costs of the rescue boat is $110 per hour. If you are an associate member ($58 per year) they will tow you in for free out to 25 nautical miles or 40 kms. Even then you shuld help pay for some of their costs. #Found on broken wire in ignition circuit once home. I will be paying my membership next time at their ramp. Cheap insurance!!! It also pays to carry a sand anchor if you breakdown close to shore.