PDA

View Full Version : Out in the deep blue

Fixation
11-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Well it was time to head wide in search of big stuff again. Sunday was the day we agreed on with the weather and moon all looking to be on our side.
Redbullburley and Tony were my deckies for the day. After some boat prep and a 200 litre fuel dump we on our way. When we launched at Mooloolaba some guys told us in a quinny that it was rough out wide so it put Redbullburley on edge and he thought he might be bringing up a bit of redbull before we even got to spot X. But we rounded the heads and passed foxy at the entrance and noticed the seas were glassy. We pointed the big girl north east and put the hammer down. We also passed some humpbacks on the way out. Glorious site.
Some time later the boat was pulled off the plane and we came to rest on a nice show. It was about 2:30 pm and a few bits and pieces came in – moses, couple of pearls and some maoris but nothing with any size and there seemed to be alot of idiots anchoring in our drift lines. So we decided to leave the crowd and hammer north east more before the sun got too low.
We sounded round for sometime and found a nice cliff face. The structure was very impressive and very fishy. The pick was thrown over and we swung onto the mark.
Baits were loaded and dropped down and we all waited with excitement as they neared the bottom not knowing what lay beneath.
First up Tony was onto a nice parrot. They just kept coming too. I thought that was the only thing we were going to catch until Redbullburley hooked something with a nice head shake and the “knobbie” word was mentioned. After a lot of pumping and winding a nice knobbie popped up on the surface and was netted. This was Redbulls first bone head and he started having a religious experience. It was great to see the excitement. There was lots of screaming and cheering going on.
Wasn’t long before he boated 2 more and Tony boated some more parrot and as the sun dipped in the sky all hell broke loose. Baits weren’t getting to the bottom. We had slipped some burley over the side earlier and the bite was red hot. Triple hook ups were happening and there always seemed to be a fight for the net.
Tony had some earlier problem with some snags and he called out that he had yet another one but then called that it came loose but he was bring up a large bit of rock. Well time passed and he winched the weight up and a giant pink rock popped up on the surface. “Knobbie!!!!” Everyone screamed. No one was ready with the net and everyone was clambering for it. Was a great sight seeing him boat the big sucker.
I had to assist with some deckie duties for a while and left my line sitting just over the side. I pulled it up and a noticed a live squid had been attracted by the fluro had come up and nailed my little piece of pillie so I put him on whole and threw him down and he didn’t last 2 seconds on the bottom with another knob coming up from the depths.
Redbullburley, myself and Tony were all hooking unstoppables on 50 lb and they were just monstering us. Might have been sambos or AJ’s but they had no trouble peeling the line off our reels and smashing us into the reef.
Knobbie after knobbie came aboard and we knew it was going to be an early night but that didn’t matter too much as we had work the next day and a bit of a hike back to the ramp.
By 6pm we’d had our fill and decided it was time to pull the pick for the journey home.
It was one of those trips where everything seemed to go right.
Thanks goes to my deckies for the awesome day for all the laughs, screams and great memories.
This one is burnt into the memory banks for a while.

Fixation
11-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Cockies

Fixation
11-07-2006, 10:44 AM
More knobs

Fixation
11-07-2006, 10:45 AM
dino knob.

Fixation
11-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Some filleting duties ahead.

reef_king
11-07-2006, 11:10 AM
some very nice fish in there sounds like the hards is firring....what was the weight of the biggin

cheers ty

TheSlyDeckie
11-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Geez i miss i trip and look what happens! :'(

Good stuff!

Lacey
11-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Awesome post I was out with seapup on the hards on Sat arvo. We got a there a bit late for Parrot but got some Snapper anyway also lost a few to over keen dragg setting. Allways learning.
bluedog

Fixation
11-07-2006, 01:16 PM
Hey Ty, With all the mayhem out there and then trying to get back home in a hurry we didn't weight it mate. I should of. It looked like it came from jurassic park though.

Ah slydeckie: Don't worry mate. We'll be out there again before you know it.

Bluedog: Great conditions, awesome moon phase and great company. You couldn't have asked for anything better I don't reckon. It all fell into place.

Smailesy
11-07-2006, 02:45 PM
wow great stuff

Slient
11-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Awsome reds... :o
How deep was those reds pulled?
I'm sorry if I ask this question

Happy fishing
Silent

Fixation
11-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Silent: The depth was over 65+ meters. Sort of on the edge of a ledge. They were coming up in the water column to about 10-15 meters off the bottom to grab our baits too.

Regards,

Slient
11-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks... :)

Silent

snappa
11-07-2006, 04:04 PM
"and there seemed to be alot of idiots anchoring in our drift lines."
... :-X

some may have been Ausfishers.....

maybe think ..the other way around .... >:(

Edmo
11-07-2006, 05:50 PM
top haul fellas! its great to see quality snapper off the sunny coast, hope to get out there 1 day :). once again congrats

Dave
11-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Dont you love it when a plan comes together. That is a great haul. Seems like the afternoon session is the go. Will have to give it a try.

Dave

ibbo
11-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Great post :)

Great pics [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Well done

IBBO

Big_Ren
11-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Nice effort Fixation and some really top fish. Plenty of feeds in that lot.

Cheers
Paul

alvey_fisher_v17c
11-07-2006, 09:54 PM
That`s a good haul of fish mate. ;)

seapup
11-07-2006, 10:02 PM
nice haul fixation!

griz066
11-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Great catch good read too

SeaSaw
11-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Thats a ripper of a catch Craig. :o Some real good size in the snapper & the parrot. :) Hot bites like that stick in your memory for a while. Well done.

Mark

F1SH_BOY
12-07-2006, 11:05 AM
nice fish there mate , are the cockies good tasting ?

revs57
12-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Good stuff Craig...It's always exciting to have a great session on good solid fish.

Very sad when the drift lines are curtailed and interupted by inconsiderate others, that's one reason we waited til yesterday to get away from the mob...and if an ausfisher is around, surely we can muster up enough courage to wander over M&G and share? I would think a good reason for ausfish stickers so we can look out for each other...

I'm sure your crew will really fire up for the next trip...I saw the disappointment in the sly deckies post...how will you make it up to him?

and how can Naomi say no when you keep getting results like that...you are learning the art of marriage pado-wan

Cheers

Rhys

Fixation
12-07-2006, 06:01 PM
Fish_boy: The cockies are great to eat. Not my absolute favourite species to chew on but they are up there. If you catch one whack the fillets in the freezer first. It sort of firms the flesh up a bit. They are abit mushy if cooked fresh.

Ah Rhys: I couldn't agree with you more about the anchoring business. I think the word "idiot" was a little harsh to use in my original post. I don't claim to own any of the water ways out there but this one guy I commented on was so close I could have handed him my sandwiches that I had for dinner. I suppose you had to see it to believe it. No harm done. We moved on.
The slydeckie is a bit dirty after that one. He's been a very loyal and reliable deckie over the years. Hard to find sometimes. He'll be online for next trip.

Regards Craig.

Brissyguy
12-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Fair go Craig...
You're living my dreams now lol...

Excellent catch and a wonderful read.

Cheers,
# # # # #Rich

TheSlyDeckie
13-07-2006, 01:50 PM
mate you know how to ease the pain. Thanks for the compliments.

Tis hard after having two trips with no success then missing a trip and seeing that haul.

Reminds me of the 1770 days!

redbullburley
14-07-2006, 09:44 AM
what a day!!!!!! thanks craig my sister sure picked a winner I look forward to many more good trips to come. hopefully i can hold the burley back once again ;D ;D

Fixation
15-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Hey RedBull,

Mate you did so well out there. I was a little concerned at first when those guys at the ramp told us it was rough out wide. Mate you redeemed yourself this time thats for sure. Just remember your special burley brings the maori's on.....

Have to make sure for next trip we rub oil on our hands and then wash with that BP dunny soap again. Seemed to bring good luck.

Catch ya.
Craig.

Jim_Byrne
15-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Amazing session.

Its only justice you got some cracker fish after being 'inconvenienced'.

Jim

jake_snapper_king
17-07-2006, 08:11 PM
good catch mate when u goi out next ?

wat sort of boat u got it sounds big?

welll its looks like u had a great day out in the deep blue

F1SH_BOY
25-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Fish_boy: The cockies are great to eat. Not my absolute favourite species to chew on but they are up there. If you catch one whack the fillets in the freezer first. It sort of firms the flesh up a bit. They are abit mushy if cooked fresh.

Ah Rhys: I couldn't agree with you more about the anchoring business. I think the word "idiot" was a little harsh to use in my original post. I don't claim to own any of the water ways out there but this one guy I commented on was so close I could have handed him my sandwiches that I had for dinner. I suppose you had to see it to believe it. No harm done. We moved on.
The slydeckie is a bit dirty after that one. He's been a very loyal and reliable deckie over the years. Hard to find sometimes. He'll be online for next trip.

Regards Craig.

thatnks for that craig

spinna
25-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Just the three fishing or more ??

# spinna

Fixation
26-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Just the 3 as mentioned initially. ;)

FERRIT
29-07-2006, 11:39 AM
nice one boys