PDA

View Full Version : First Barwon Banks Trip

Fishing_Freddy
30-07-2006, 07:11 AM
We headed out of Mooloolaba about 5:30am Saturday morning, it was a little bit sloppy but not to bad. It took about one and half hours to get out as we couldn't get over 18knots. Got to southern end of banks and started to sound around found a bit of country that looked ok and dropped in lines. First drop hooked a small parrot then it went quiet so we moved around and found another spot which produced some more fish. Ended up with a small mixed bag of fish but was happy as this is the first trip out(of many to come hopfully) in my boat. The best fish I caught was a 2.25Kg Parrot the rest were samll parrot a banana fish(I think thats what its called),a small trout.We were back at the ramp at 1:00pm, the trip home was alot quicker as we could sit on 20 + knots no worries. Tight lines to all Ken ;D ;D ;D

Fishing_Freddy
30-07-2006, 07:12 AM
A picture of the catch

F1SH_BOY
30-07-2006, 05:37 PM
nice catch

outsiderskip
30-07-2006, 06:35 PM
ken
good feed
great colours in the parrot

pete

s-pac
30-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Hi Fishing Freddy,

We to did our first trip to Barwon's a few weeks ago. What a magnificent place.
I think we were spoiled we fished same area as you, and were lucky enough to get some quality snapper. We found fishing on top of reef better (40-45 metres), and float lining unweighted pilles resulted in better quality fish than bottom bashing. If possible look for bait schools on sounder but in saying that on any given day they can be anywhere.
Don't know why we weren't fishing up here years ago, usually fish wide caloudra from bribe.
Happy exploring, and hope many quality fish come over the side.

Regards Andrew

outwide1
30-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Hey fishing freddyoutwide1 here,welldone mate!The parrot that you have there is a surf parrot i think,when i worked on a charterboat down off the tweed we reguarly caught them but i was told they werent good eating so i would be interested in hearing back from you once you have eaten it.There also is a banana fish or fushalier fish,now they are a good chew!! ;)Anyway it will only get better from here as you will search around and eventually as time goes on you will discover new marks and ground to fish.Tight lines!!OUTWIDE1 :)

Bundy_Burp
30-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Nice feed of fish especially for your first time fishing that spot well done .
Great color on the parrot

Bundy 8-)

Mick81
31-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Well i went out with my good mate for my first time at the banks as he has only been a couple times him self and yes we found it hard to produce decent fish but we did find great bait schools and good fish arches on some good bottom and produced some good snapper but we got there to late as we tried murphy's first before sun up. I found the fish tend to go off the chew around the 9:00am mark.
So next time straight out there :) But overall there is so much ground out there and for the first timer with out any decent marks there is alot of exploring to be done.

Fishing_Freddy
31-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Andrew thanks for the heads up on floating the baits, I will try that next time I get out there.
Ken ;D ;D ;D