PDA

View Full Version : Stanage Bay trip

TheDeepSix
21-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Fishos
A couple of weeks ago myself and two other boats got back from our yearly trip to Stanage Bay (just north Shoalwater Bay army area, 180 odd kms north of Rocky). We were there for 13 days but due to the weather only got out 4. I highly recommend this place as within an hour & a quarter/half of the ramp there are literally hundreds of differing reef areas, in depths from 30 to 60 metres. The reefs surround numerous islands that often have deep water right up to their rock/cliff shores. Sweetlip are prolific, along with mixed catches of Red Emperor, Coral trout & the occasional Estuary Cod. Snapper also school up in some areas during this time of the year with Spaniards :P more common during the warmer months. The older members of our group tell us that Stanage is what 1770 was like 20 years ago.

We stayed in a large brick house ($670 week), right behind the township's store/servo/pub ;), which easily accomodated the 9 of us, & was well set up with cleaning tables/freezers & Sky tv for the weather/footy etc. Fuel is not to dear considering the location at $1.40 litre unleaded. Diesel & premium are also available.The locals are very friendly & after a few beers don't mind letting a few of their secret spot X's slip :o.

The downside of this place is getting there, as you have to cross 100 odd kms of dirt, often corregated, road to come in from the highway. You don't look forward to this after towin your rig 750 odd ks up from Brizzy :'( This however is what keeps the place special & stops it from becoming overfished.

Have only included a couple of pics as I mainly took movies.

Cheers, Tiga.

TheDeepSix
21-07-2006, 06:29 PM
another..

TheDeepSix
21-07-2006, 06:36 PM

TheDeepSix
21-07-2006, 06:37 PM

TheDeepSix
21-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Oops wrong one..........

markpeta
21-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Top catch but looks like you need a bigger esky next time.

Mark

StevenM
22-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Is definetly a top little spot Tig.

And that last bit of dirt the last time we were ther 2 and a half years ago tok us 4 hours for the 100 k and as you said not much fun after driving from brissy.

Must say I need to get back there shortly.

Cheers

Steven

revs57
22-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Sounds like a great place Chris. Dave Claussen at Riptide raves about the area. I understand the weather can be a bit dicky particularly with the distances that need to be covered but it looks like its worth it...Have to get up there sometime.

cheers

Rhys

Fixation
22-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Looks like a great spot. Nice mixed bag there. Few nice grassies too. Well done. Looks like the travel paid off. Well done. :)

Regards,
Craig.

Bundy_Burp
22-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Well done indeed a very good catch I hope they tasted as good as they look .

ratherbefishin
22-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Tiga,
My wife and I are thinking of doing a trip to Stannage either Dec or Jan.
Can you give me any details, (Pointy of Contact) on the house you rented or is there a Real estate there? (Havent been there before)

We have 3 kids (who are all keen fishos in the making) but as kids go they need other activities to use up their boundless energy. Is there anything in town for the kids? eg are there beaches? can they swim? (I'm thinking summer stingers and crocs?)

Any info would be appreciated!

Cheers
Richard

Big_Ren
22-07-2006, 09:10 PM
Well worth a visit going by all the good reports...here and in the mags.

Cheers
Paul

TheDeepSix
23-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Richard,

The below pic shows the house we stayed in. Plenty of room and facilities. You can book through Bevan and Maree at the Plum Tree store. Their web site is www.stanagebaystore.com/
which also shows a number of other rental houses available.
The fishing in summer is a lot better in the Stanage Bay estuary with big Jew available in the 'Jew holes' which are only a short distance from the ramp. Plenty of muddies are also there in the surrounding mangroves. A sandy beach is nearby about a 5 minute drive south of the main street at a place called Happy Valley(?). I havent swum there but many do. I havent heard of stingers there but the place is tropical so they probably do exist too :o
The DOWN side of the place in summer >:( -
I am told there are crocs in the estuary but in my 5 years of going there haven't seen any. The above Happy Valley is on the ocean side of the place & havent seen crocs there either. But be warned in summer the place is THICK with MOZZIE & SAND FLIES, so if you go then take plenty of aeroguard/rid etc.
If you have an offshore boat the reef fishin is still good in summer, and Bevan at the store will be happy to give you general directions.
There are also a few parks/nature walks around the town which would help the kids burn up some energy.
Also if you have a breakdown etc with your boat there is a chandlery store in the main street that has most things, but can be expensive. Bait (we bring our own) etc is cheaper at the General store through Bevan.
Hope this helps, Chris

TheDeepSix
23-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Richard,
I forgot to mention the above house is air conditioned and has fly screens, ABSOLUTLEY essential ;) if you're there in summer......
Chris

ratherbefishin
23-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks Chris,
The wife may have issues with the mozzies & sand flies, so we may end up leaving it till closer to winter. (Me, I'd live with it to get stuck into the Spaniards!)
That's great info. Its a place I'd heard of through several sources and it seemed like it was still remote enough to be worth the effort. Your report confirms those ideas.

Thanks again. (I will report when we do eventually go)
Richard

P.S. I got the PM but I cant reply via that means as I'm still a new ausfish member

frenzy
24-07-2006, 08:14 PM
i will b there aug 6
let you know how we go ;)

lippa
24-07-2006, 09:01 PM
the bait prices at the marine shop are more than reasnoble. they also have accomodation as well. give tony and von a call on 49373145

ratherbefishin
27-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Frenzy, Look forward to the report.

Lippa, a bit of web surfing has found the marine store page as well, thanks

Its firming towards late Jan 07. Here's hoping I'm posting some pics by then.

Toppy
27-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Very informative report mate & some nice pics of the catch.
Always good to hear about new places.
Cheers
Toppy

Smailesy
30-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Tiga great read mate nice pics love to get up there myself real soon i just got back from turky beach with heaps of pics will get them on computer real soon

mono
01-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Sounds like a great place to do a bit of exploring.
Hey Frenzy, I'm heading up there this Sunday 6th also.
Some mates are towing the boats up and I am flying in for 3 days.
Might have to catch up for a drink and chat?

Cheers