PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish bagout in foggy conditions

devocean
30-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Well with the captain finally back in the water after knee surgey we thought wed hit up a local island for a few fish and crays. The sea was clam except for the 200m visability due to heavy fog. After getting lost in the fog we finally found our first destination to find the water reasonably clear but fog was everywhere.

Whilst the boys had a troll I jumped in and went hunting for a spanish which I did encounter but lost 2 after spears ripped out during combat.

The water murked up after that so the 10 to 20 metre dives were out and we decided to chase a few crays. It wasnt long before the crayfish wars began and in no time myself and after7 had 6 in the boat.

Shortly after that the fog lifted and we went to the next spot in hope of a few trout and more crays. The trout were scarce but the crays were out. Knowing we only had a bag limit of ten we only took the biggest and we gave away 5 to another mater who travelled with us that day but only fished.

Highlight of the day was fresh cray cooked on the beach for lunch, a wopper 2kg red cray? (have no idea what type of crayfish this is so some id woould be good) and plenty in the freezer for a while.

Lowlights included seeing huge tusk fish and blue barred parrot when only holding craygunwhich is like trying to shoot an elephant with your finger and losing a 15kg spanish

Anyway heres a few pic

Foggy coinditions

devocean
30-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Same spot 4 hours later(almost neede my lifejacket it was so rough ;)

devocean
30-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Mysterious red cray

devocean
30-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Take home catch

devocean
30-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Anyone got any garlic butter? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Its alright bugman dont cry :'( ;)

devocean
30-07-2006, 11:21 AM
One more

Big_Ren
30-07-2006, 11:42 AM
I'm jealous. That's awesome Devocean.

Yum yum...

Cheers
Paul

Fisher4life
30-07-2006, 05:22 PM
what depth are you getting them from, and i presume your free-diving

outsiderskip
30-07-2006, 06:40 PM
im all cray-sssssssssssed out

pete

Bundy_Burp
30-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Thats some fine looking crayfish you caught up this way they would be worth a small fortune in the shops .
sorry to hear about the parrot and the tusk I suppose they will have to wait till next time you go out .

Bundy 8-)

Mick
31-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Bugman, you are not the only one missing out >:( I am in Brisbane at the moment...

Nice effort boys. Oh, Dan, can you see the common donominator with no trout in the esky? No mick in the boat! Haha ;D ;D ;D Don't tell me i have to come home and show yas how to fill an esky of pink with blue spots...

Red cray..., hmmm, ya got me stumped? looks the colour of the southern rock lobby but the shape and size of a greeny?

See ya soon guys,

Mick

devocean
31-07-2006, 07:31 PM
got most of these crays in less than 10 metres of water. As for the trout Mick saw one all day and that was it. Saw plenty of your beloved queenfish mate and left em behind for when you come home.

Dave looked hilarious with those little blue fins on

bugman
01-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Devo,

Just cause I've moved to Tasmania doesn't mean the old rule doesn't apply. My new adress is C/O of the Bellerive Fresh Fruit Market at Hobart.

I'll be expecting my 20% in the mail. Still male only season here at the moment which has pushed the price right up. As soon as I can get a day away from the shoop I'm going to don the gear and go for a swim down of Eaglehawk Neck.

Trout season starts today - I guess that's something :-X

Brett

blaze
01-08-2006, 08:38 AM
trout season start on the 5th brett, not today, a few more days to wait
cheers
blaze

bugman
02-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks Blaze,

Wouldn't make too much difference .... stuck in the shop for a few more weeks yet. I'm not sure what to do on my first day off. Crayfish, trout or sleep :-/

blaze
02-08-2006, 08:24 PM
I reckon you would be able to do all three in a day brett
sleep
12pm to 5.30 am
derwent
catching a trout 6.30 till 9.00
have a bite to eat on the way to the neck
in the water by 1.00 dive till 3.00 (plenty of time to get me a couple too)
Home by 5.00
trout and cray for tea at 6.30
so easy mate
cheers
blaze