PDA

View Full Version : Northern Banks Wednesday PM

Tunzafun
03-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Headed of from Mooloolabah ramp at 1340 and had a fairly easy trip out at about 35 kmh in a long 4ft swell with a small chop. Sounded around on some new ground that looked promising but only produced a couple of good Pearlies and 1 Large Snapper (5.3 kg). Current was about 2kmh in the deeper water (260 ft +) but not to bad in the stuff under 200 ft. Caught quite a few undersize Pearlies and a couple of Squirey/Snapper as well. #Moved again at about 1900 to an old faithfull to try and bag out on Snapper but they were slow there as well. Swell flattened out but wind was starting to come up. Had a couple of big hits that could not be stopped on 50lb braid with 60lb mono traces. Broke the traces both times. I must thank my deckie (Fadd) for his assistance as I had a Carpel Tunnel operation two weeks ago on my wrist and there was no way I could hold a rod with a big fish on the end. He did a gallant job as I sat in envy. #

Wind and current were fighting each other so decided to pull the pick at 2230 and head for home. Sounded up some new ground on the way back (for next time) and arrived back at ramp around 0030. Wind was starting to pick up and produce a bit of a chop. #I'm glad we were coming in. After reading Gawby's report we made the right decision.

Not a bag out but still a damn good feed for the two of us. Finished with three Snapper, 6 Pearlies, 1 Tuna (great bait) and a 2kg Cod to take home. #Must have thrown back 10 rat pearlies and other assorted rubbish. All in all we covered 130 km for about 80L of fuel (still to fill up and check). In bed at 0315 with only the boat and fish to clean in the morning.

Here's to next time.

finding_time
03-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Tunzafun

Not to bad mate! What boat were you in? We were up that way the snapper came on the chew at about 4pm and t was pretty much over by 7pm with only a few pearlies and the odd bigger knobbie still chewing.

Ian

hoga
03-08-2006, 09:53 PM
good to see you got out and got a few while im stuck at work wish i could get a fuel burn that good will have to hook up again soon hoga

outsiderskip
04-08-2006, 06:28 AM
good to get a feed

pete

-spiro-
04-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Mate you caren't bag out every trip tho it's nice to 8-) atleast you still got out and got a decent feed. Sounds like a great day ;D

Tunzafun
04-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Tunzafun

Not to bad mate! What boat were you in? #We were up that way the snapper came on the chew at about 4pm and t was pretty much over by 7pm with only a few pearlies and the odd bigger knobbie still chewing.

Ian

Ian,

We were in a 5.3m Trailcraft Bowrider. Not too many other boats around where we were except for a couple of trawlers resting for the day.

Ross