PDA

View Full Version : double island /cairns

fishface
02-08-2006, 11:13 PM
well i got a day off work and weather was ok.so why not go fishing.
decided to stay closer in and headed to double island to try and scout some new spots. not much luck in that dept so went to the number 2 wreck. when i got there a bloke was sitn in his tinny with not a sniff for 2hrs. on the sounder the fish were there. i tried livies, jigs, bait(3kind), bumpa bars.i knew i shoulda taken the fly rod ::) .a few hours had passed and i was looking as good as the bloke in the tinny and i thought to myself .will i be the first to come home empty handed up in the tropics?(excluding the livies) :(
well the gods did shine on me on the way home.the good ol tuna turned up just in the nic of time. longtails in 18ft of water between palm cove and double island! off course ,where else would they be!!! only had the 2-4 kg rod loaded with a bait fish lure so was hoping they werent gonna be too big a fish. 1st cast right in the middle of the baitball ...treble gets caught in the lure ...has somebody stashed some bananas on board?
nah couldnt ..not at 12bucks a kilo. they were leapn out of the water ,hitn my lure ,fun to watch but i needed some action. 2nd go couple of cranks and bingo. 15 min later a nice 6.5kg longtail. they disapeared by the time i got that one in but hey whos complaining 8-)
cheers daniel

fishface
02-08-2006, 11:14 PM
anothe shot

fishface
02-08-2006, 11:30 PM
one of the locals wishn me luck

Big_Ren
03-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Well done Daniel. Least you got one...probably 1 more than the bloke in the tinny. The real question is...would you have posted if you got pants-ed? ;D ;D

Cheers
Paul

fishface
04-08-2006, 08:23 AM
good question PAUL. never really considered coming home empty, ;) but that was a close call.
maybe we need a " didnt catch a fish " forum
daniel

Geoff_Atkinson
04-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Hey Dan,

That 'local' wasnt in Half Bay Moon creek was it?

I saw one there on the mudbank just before the big right hand bend he other day. It was longer than my tinny (3.85m).

That photo looks damn near the same as the one I took.

Cheers,

Geoff

fishface
04-08-2006, 09:42 PM
yes geoff he was at the same spot.
first time i have seen one in there.