PDA

View Full Version : Caloundra Wide (solo mission)

JayT
01-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Howdy
Decided to hit caloundra wide Sat arvo for the usual solo mission to chase some KNOBBYS,
I knew there was some decent swell running over the bar but it was workable (just),
After getting over that minor hurdle (a little wet) from a bit of a roller over the front,
I was away......YEEEHAAAA.

Got to the grounds in near perfect conditions and it stayed like that ALL weekend :)
Although I love fishin solo it would have been great to share the perfect conditions.

By the way,
I bagged out in no time an even gave one to an old fella in a tinny on the shallow grounds, after just upsizing to a 4-5kg speciman,
There are even good KNOBBYS there in the shallows, and dont they go hard :)

Anyway an awsome weekend an was great to get amoungst them,
Cheers Thorpy

JayT
01-08-2006, 10:47 AM
HAD a visitor on the way back in too

JayT
01-08-2006, 10:48 AM
The esky shot...

JayT
01-08-2006, 10:49 AM
The catch...

JayT
01-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Me....solo camera shot

ROB80
01-08-2006, 11:11 AM
nice catch

seapup
01-08-2006, 11:31 AM
Nice catch mate! Looks like your dog wants to hook into a few of those Knobbys in the background of the last photo... ;D

Seahorse
01-08-2006, 06:52 PM
how far out do u go to get this type of fish. where do u leave from

greg

Smailesy
01-08-2006, 07:03 PM
great stuff thorpy

JayT
01-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Cheers,
Yeh the hound doesnt mind a bit of a chomp now an then,

Seahorse, the second biggest knobby was from within 3kms from caloundra headlland (or the bar) there is some really good coffee rock ledges an so forth very close to this area and with a little sounding around you can score some really good fish,
The rest are from c/wide area and thats about 16-18kms from the bar/headland, out there are some real trophy fish :)
I leave from caloundra, thru the bar.
The bar has a bit of a reputation to be aware of but as long as you know your limits and dont be too silly it can be no problems ;)
Here's another pic from c/wide about 3wks ago fishin with BigE

Cheers Thorpy

JayT
01-08-2006, 09:10 PM
BigE with a cobe...

R_K_HILL
02-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Nice fish fellas!

R_K_HILL
02-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Do you remember about 3-4 years ago, a nice Brand new $250,000 (unsure of the make and model) boat was beached on the tip of Bribie there at night. A man and woman were Helicoptered out and it made the 6 o'clock news..

Anyways, its nothing to be proud of, but that was my mum and her boyfriend..

He didn't know jack about there area. So it pays to know your stuff.

-spiro-
02-08-2006, 09:38 AM
well done mate on the catch. Some very good snap's there :o

JayT
02-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi R K,
Dont remember that one but often hear about mishaps on the bar,
Sounds weird but thats why I like it....LESS TRAFFIC,
Real nice place Caloundra and with the bar you seem to get less people than say Mooloolaba, which can be like a CONCERT carpark at times ;D
Hope the boat /old girl were alright :)
Cheers spiro, Yeh there are some RIPPERS around at the moment,
Still tryin to crack the 10kg mark......winter aint over yet....!

Thorpy

Seahorse
02-08-2006, 05:56 PM
thanks thorpy. how would i going in 489 stacer runabout 75hp

cheers
greg

JayT
02-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Greg,
No worries at all in the stacer,
My boat is a 485 Savage cuddy with a 70donk and I have no probs,
I even run her out to the Banks on the odd occasion, but with c/wide fishin so well at the moment no need to chew the extra juice/$
Give it a crack, might even see ya out there sometime,
Cheers Thorpy

Seahorse
03-08-2006, 06:22 PM
thanks thorpy. Get mine in about 3-4 weeks. will contact u then if thats ok. U might be able to give me some hints

cheers
greg

JayT
03-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey Greg,
For sure mate, when the weather is kind I am there everyday I have off,
Yeh let me know when ya get her and we can get out there for a run,
Will the new boat have gps?
I may have a mark or 2 for ya ;)
PM when ya ready.
Cheers Thorpy

KGW2
04-08-2006, 07:31 AM
Jay

Great pics and even better fish.. I have lived up here at Caloundra for a year and haven't got up the courage to tackle the bar yet.
Caloundra is a beautiful place.. made for the offshore fisherperson...
You are right about the bar... People tend to avoid it and go to Mooloolaba where you can get 400 trailers parked there on a good (bad) day. I can see the bar from my place and there are very few incidents there compared to the number of boats that go through each day. But the fear factor remains.. ::)
Good choice of boat for offshore work.. Although a big plate boat is nice for the bad days.

SnodgerHunter
09-08-2006, 09:23 AM
well done mate. last time i fished out wide i got zilch - was forced to use a huge snapper lead cause there was so much run in the water, it was like a fast-running river out there! were u usin a floater setup or bottom-basher

JayT
09-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Gday,
KGW2
Pick ya day an give the bar a go mate, too easy! :)
This weekend is lookin alright, Im out there....!
S/S
I found last trip around the tide changes when the run eased up was when the best bite was and I also had to be sitting right over good ground,
But the big knobs seem to feed over the gravely grounds, around the patches of reef/wire weed- no expert though, just what I found. :)
Cheers Jay