PDA

View Full Version : 12 Mile off Gladstone

marzoe
12-07-2006, 07:03 AM
Went fishing at the 12 mile off Gladstone last Sunday. We bashed our way out in quite sloppy conditions to near where the ships anchor.
I had 4 different marks to check out.
My mate and I were surprised at the lack of any structure around the area we drifted, and also the lack of any quality fish.
Managed to do well on grinners and trigger fish and lost a mackerel, finally left in disgust.
There are always pictures of fish caught around the 12 mile appearing in the local paper, so someone must know something I don't
Does anyone have an opinion on this.
Cheers
Tim

darryl_l
12-07-2006, 05:51 PM
If you were near where the ships anchor you were not at the twelve mile it is further out.

Darryl L

Owen
12-07-2006, 09:43 PM
where the hell is the twelve mile?
It's not on my charts :-/
Twelve miles from what? [smiley=huh2.gif]

cheers,
Owen

marzoe
13-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Someone told me that there is rubble ground 12 miles off the coast, all the way down the coast, but don't know any more than that. Maybe its an old fault line or something. Alas I'm still unsure where the good fishing spots are.

Smithy
13-07-2006, 10:51 AM
It is probably a bit like the blinker at Mooloolaba. When anyone asks where you caught a fish up there it is "at the blinker!".

The 12 mile does exist and fish are pulled off it. Keep hunting.

timbacutta
13-07-2006, 05:50 PM
The marks I have for the 12 mile are 17.5 mile from the boyne mouth leads. About 6 to 7 miles further out than where the tankers anchor. My mark is to the north of were most of the boats fish, but if your out there on a good day you will see other boats fishing the area. Use them as a guide and sound around till you find a good show on your sounder. Caught some nice trout, sweetlip and parrot between 1.5 to 4 kg on my last trip about 4 weeks ago.
I think 12 mile relates to the distance from Gatcombe Head but not 100% sure.
Hope this info helps.

Jeff.

barradise
18-07-2006, 12:05 AM
The twelve mile off Gladstone is a string of mostly flat rubble ground that was chained by trawlers many years ago.
It basically runs from Richards Point to Cape Capricorn.
There are small patches of rock pinnacle to be found although I don't know any one who who give these marks up willingly.
Try this GPS mark in WGS 84, S. 23.47.600 - E. 151.35.738, this is not a pinnicle mark but gets you fairly close to some good fishing ground.
The 12 Mile is noted for its sporatic catches, one day a blinder the next day a waist of bait and fuel.
John.

mangomick
12-08-2006, 04:57 PM
If youre getting trigger fish you are in the sort of country where if you wait a while they'll go off the bite and the reds and grassies will start to chew..