PDA

View Full Version : Broome Billfish Comp

Lobster48
10-08-2006, 12:05 PM
I recently took part in my first fishing tournament...the Broome Billfish Classic.

To start of with I was a little apprehensive giong into a Billfish comp having never caught a billfish and being surrounded by 'PROS'. I was soon put at ease bythe extremely friendly people of the area who welcomed us with open arms. From our perspective the comp was an absolute success. Our teams aim was to catch A sailfish...one for the boat for the comp. Our next aim was to get one per angler and anything after that was not even worth thinking about.

We acheived our first aim by 8am on day two and our second aim by 4pm on day three. It was all fun from there. In total we raised 45 sails and tagged seven fish which we thought was great.

I guess this is the funny thing about fishing tournaments is that while you are competing against other teams, you have a battle against the fish and yourself first.

A total of 25 teams took part in the comp with around 100 anglers. The comp ran for 6 days with 5 days scoring giving each team the ability to drop there worst day. Suited us as day one was all about learning the ropes with no fish caught. All in all 871 sailfish were raised with 265 tagged and 43 marlin raised with 14 tagged.

As I said we were rapped with our meagre contribution to these tallies and certainly have the bug to get into it again. I can only urge other people to make the effort and get across to this comp. For those who are unaware I towed a 6m boat from Brisbane to Darwin and after a two day break drove to Broome for the comp. The roads are in good nick the entire way and splitting the fuel costs with a few others makes it a viable option, especially after putting 12 months of dosh away. The only issue for those looking at it is accommodation in Broome. Broome is packed at time of the year and you will need to book in advance. There is a wide range of accommodation from 5 star to campgrounds and self contained cabins.

If you have never caught a sail before do not worry, there is a linup of people wanting to let you know there secrets on how to hook these fish...as opposed to the east coast where any such matters would nessitate the loaning of Max Smarts cone of silence following a hand shake over a document swearing secrecy.

All jokes aside this was my first comp and will not be my last. If you are gonig to start anywhere make it this comp.

The dates for next year are 20 - 28 Jul2006. THe Broome Fishing Clun host the comp and can provide you with any info you require. I don't have their phone number but they do have a web site www.broomefishingclub.com.au

Anyway I have attached a few photos to further whet you appetites.

Lobster

Lobster48
10-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Paul with his first ever

Lobster48
10-08-2006, 12:14 PM
Tony and Paul

chicken
10-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Well done fellas bet you had a ball

F1SH_BOY
10-08-2006, 07:56 PM
awesome ;)

outwide1
10-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Weldone lobster,i to got the bug about 3 years ago when i entered my first tournament on the goldcoast.With a shit load of lures and only a half an idea on what we were doing we proceded to tow lures all weekend only to find out on the last day that the boats on the board had caught all there fish on livebait. >:(Anyway,alot of water has passed under the boat since that day and things have improved greatly.The atmosphere at the tournaments is excellant which sometimes overides the fact you hadnt tagged a fish for the day. ;)TIGHT LINES OUTWIDE1

wayne_cook
10-08-2006, 09:07 PM
sounds like someone will be entering other comps.

Lobster48
10-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Brrbear,

sure will be looking around to enter some more...might be heading down to Brisbane end 07 so will looking at the scene when I get there!

Payneful
11-08-2006, 08:14 AM
Awesome ... I am gearing up for the John Jones Memorial and Gove game classic ... can't wait! Hope I have as much luck as you did! Apparantly there isn't as many sails or marlin around here as there are in Broome.

Sam

Toppy
12-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Good on ya lobster, its a very addictive sport isnt it?
Enjoyed the read mate, its always nice to read about something different from time to time.
Who knows maybe you'll see me there next year!
Cheers
Toppy

Smailesy
12-08-2006, 09:57 AM
looks realy rough out there and once again the boat looks great

Gard
13-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Gday All.

I was on the boat with lobster and I was also in my first ever comp. Could not have asked for a better entry into the competative fishing ranks. The time, effort and money was nothing compared to the trill of the catch, the exitement on the catchers face, and the life time of memories.
At this stage I will be returning next year with lobster and I have no doubt that we will again walk away from the compatition happy anglers, and hopfuly with a prize.
I strongly recomend this compertition to all as the people are great and as you can see the fishing is first class.

Book it in for next year.

Gard