PDA

View Full Version : My boys 1st keeper GC 130806

Burley_Boy
13-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Well the weather looked like it was going to play ball so I decided to take my son for his first serious run offshore.
No breckie and half a kwell and I thought all would be fine on a magnificent GC morning.
Bit slow off the mark so it was 05:30 before we were doing the run past the Seaway tower but no matter I logged on as going to the 36's but once out there i found a dirty great big storm cloud well out and sending lightning into the sea so I decided that the 24's would have to do until I could figure what the storm was doing.

We headed to a general mark on the NE 24's sounded around for a litte while then anchored on a decent show of fish of some description.
I set my son up with a two dropper paternoster and a snapper lead and he got the Penn330GTI to ensure there would be no tangles.
Out goes the bait and I hadn't even got my own rig in the water before he was on. A quick lessson on pump and wind and a very excited boy was getting a workout.
Finally on the surface we had a 48cm trag and a Dart so he had to work a bit. ;D ;D ;D

So first run on the board it looked like a great start. I sent down another paternoster and then set the floater out the back and started burleying. Found the southerly current quite strong and the floater had to be reset with a bit more weight.
By this time my young deckie is shifting colour so i says to keep a sharp eye out for whales and i keep fishing.
We boat a luckless eel that manages to strangle himself #on the paternoster with a circle in the gob and the other firmly set in the head with 1M of line tightly wrapped around his neck, He was a gonner.

By this time we had an armada of boats within a couple hundred metres including 3x charter vessels and their entourage, a chap who #decided i was a great target for his drift line and kept starting his engine as he got within 20M of me. Remembering there was not a soul there when I turned up and we're 12Km's out it turned into a bit of a carpark/highway. Maybe I'd stumbled on somebody's favourite mark and if so I'll gladly share so the rest of the GC armada can park there, I'll find another spot. ;)
Now my deckie was pale as a ghost and in tears begging for home so we raised the anchor and the lines and headed for home.
Boat and fish cleaned by 08:30.
I'll do the 50's another day. But my son was proud as punch of his first decent keeper and said as we came through the Seaway, that was fun wasn't it Dad? Cool when they can remember and focus on the good bits.

theVan
14-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Good report Burley_Boy

great Trag jew... bet that was all the sweeter to eat given his first. Congrats :)

capt
14-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Well done young fella ! Jimmy

Toppy
14-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Good on ya mate, I'm sure you will be a regular from now on!
cheers
Toppy