PDA

View Full Version : Wide Caloundra

indy
13-08-2006, 04:41 PM
G'day

I took my brother anthony and his girlfriend for a fish out to wide caloundra this morning to make the most of the perfect conditions.

We arrived at the mooloobha boat ramp at around 3.30am to see that we were not the only ones with the same idea there was trailers every where.

Being michelles maiden voyage out to the reef i was a bit worried about seeing her over the side if the conditions were not the best but it was all good, as we turned the corner of the entrance their was about a metre of lazy swell rolling through so off we went arriving at spot x at about an hour later.

Things started of good with the first baits down getting taken by pearlie's not much size but still over legal and in the box they went they didn't stay around long but then the snapper moved in and we had about half a dozen and then they switched off also.

So a decision was made to go a bit wider and try another mark i had and then the better quality snapper started hitting the deck with everyone getting in on the action.

We ended up with a great session, michelle did really well for her first ever reef trip contributing to the esky well and catching a few good snapper.

Thanks for a great day anthony and michelle.

cheers pete....

indy
13-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Anthony and I

indy
13-08-2006, 04:43 PM
The catch

pittymick
13-08-2006, 05:03 PM
we went to wide cal aswell considering the fish at the banks would be getting hammered with lead, we did ok my mates got snapper all i could get were bloody ambos, got busted up twice and landed 4 others mate my back got a work out, they were returned to fight another day,was nice day sept for some guy who thougt his idea of drift fishing was to continuelly near mow our ball of the ancher rope after the third time we asked him nicely to p*ss off heeee heeee ;D

Fishing_Freddy
13-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Great looking catch, I wish I could land snapper like that on my first trip. I've been out on the reefs dozens of times and still havent caught any decent snapper. Keep the reports coming as it gives me incentive to get out more often.Ken ;D ;D ;D

daysy
13-08-2006, 06:18 PM
TOP CATCH MATE,I HAD TO BABY SIT THE YOUNG FELLA TODAY SO MAYBE I WILL GET OUT NEXT WEEKEND.GREAT EFFORT FOR FIRST TRIP BUT YOU HAVE SET THE BAR VERY HIGH FOR FIRST TRIP,WELL DONE .

dan099
13-08-2006, 06:46 PM
roughly how far do u call cal wide ..depart mooloolaba

BAR_UP
13-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Hey indy, did you anchor or drift today :-/

swano
13-08-2006, 08:44 PM
great catch there indy ;) hope we get a few on tuesday at the banx while the weather gods are still smiling
cheers swano

gawby
13-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi ho Indy thats the way to go.
As long as the weather god stays good a friday overniter is for me.
Graeme ;)

Wooly
13-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Indy

Uncanny, fished wide caloundra saturday arvo, catch almost indentical to yours! Same bag of good sized squire to 10lb, handfull of pearlies, even the moari cod, but only 1 bonito. Just add a sprinking of bananas and some nice sized VTF that we got further north earlier.

I wounder how close to the same spot we may have been fishing?
We had another boat with us with similar result.

cheers

outsiderskip
14-08-2006, 06:22 AM
hi pete
heard ther were some nice fishup that way
see u got amongst them

pete

elephrez1
14-08-2006, 07:30 AM
great catch there are some nice fish there

indy
14-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Dan o99

Wide calondra is roughly 18 n/miles out

Bar up

we anchored and drifted but we found the better fish where coming in when we were anchored. Also burleyed heavily which worked a treat as soon as you stopped burlying the fish stoped biting.

Outerskip

yeah there is some nice fish out there we lost a few real good ones due to the leader we were using penn 10x what crap 10x weaker maybe wont be buying that again.

dan099
14-08-2006, 05:04 PM
thanks mate i have always wanted to fish there but did not know what most people called the banks .i got some rough marks off a mate and ended at the twelve mile this was cal wide to him

revs57
14-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Quality Bag Pete...great stuff, glad it was a good experience for Michelle too...that's the sort of stuff that keeps us all going back

Hope there is still a few left for the morning

Cheers

Rhys

Seahorse
14-08-2006, 06:49 PM
hey indy, how long did it take to get there? without giving away to much info, which i dont blame you but in which part of wide caloundra. iam just gearing up to do these type of trips and would appreciate any help and info

cheers
greg

Dave
14-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Good catch there Indy. You might have a couple of regulars if thats what they got for a first effort

Dave

JayT
14-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Nice haul Indy,
Was out there also, what great conditions we are having,
Slept like a baby on saturday night out there, to wake up to glass-out conditions sundy morning, an managed a few also :)
Cheers Jay

-spiro-
15-08-2006, 09:05 AM
Nice snap's Pete :ogood to se you got some flesh bait for your next trip too ;D