PDA

View Full Version : Wild Blue Yonder.....

Fixation
14-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Well after a few weeks of high winds and tinkering round in the shed it was time again to go out into the blue yonder.
The old man and the slydeckie were on board for this trip. I thought about just popping some extra juice in the big girl in case the swell had dropped enough.
We launched on Saturday arvo and headed out through the heads at Mooloolaba and the sea was reasonable. The crew decision was that it was good enough go the extra miles and head wide.
After what seemed like forever we finally pulled the throttle back on the big girl.
We had a new addition to the hardware on board. A Furuno 585 was our new eyes to the sea floor now and I was under pressure from the deckies to get myself sorted out and get them onto some fish with it. I must say these units are impressive and I had no trouble finding some structure with it.
We pulled onto some ground and some nice red blobs appeared close to the bottom. So we anchored up and started to float some baits down.
Things were very slow initially. We all thought we were doomed and thought Dad had eaten a banana in secret before we went out. We put in about an hour with little to show for it.
The sun crept closer to the horizon and then at about 4pm God turned the snapper switch on upstairs and the knobbies went mental.
I was using a sliding snell rig and the old man and the sly were on droppers. The knobs didn’t mind smashing all of us on the way down. Didn’t really matter what rig we used cause they were nailing us about 10-20 meters off the bottom. The bigger models did like the lighter sinker though.
Triple hookups were the norm and we all fought grabbing for the net. Burley was introduced into the equation and we had a few kings show up round the boat but no hook ups.
A glorious sunset came and went and the current started to move a little and the knobs went off the chew but we had a good catch and threw heaps back too.
We had another great day out thanks to the good company and great fishing and awesome weather.

Fixation
14-08-2006, 09:41 PM
Conditions on the way out.

Fixation
14-08-2006, 09:46 PM
Old man trying to float a bait to the bottom......Waiting to be monstered....

Fixation
14-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Couple.....

Fixation
14-08-2006, 09:51 PM
This one fell to a big hussar fillet...

Fixation
14-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Ready for processing.....

Dogbream
14-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Gday mate,

ya dont have to cut the fins off your snapper....the snaps aren't part of the coral fin section ;)

cheers
the Dog

Fixation
14-08-2006, 10:27 PM
Lights out......

revs57
15-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Good stuff Craig...good solid samples there...sounds like you're happy with the new Furuno...Its amazing the difference a good set of "eyes" can make. #I've made an adjustment to the thru hull...added a little "fin" to help sounding at speed....see if it makes any difference with bubbles over the t'ducer or not. We're gonna check out one of those fancy new BLA downriggers this trip...should be interesting

I'm just making the flask....leaving in 10 or so

Let you know how we go

Cheers

rhys

outsiderskip
15-08-2006, 06:05 AM
hi craig
conditions were great
we found things tough
good to u found a few good fish on the new ounder

seapup
15-08-2006, 08:19 AM
Hi Craig,
Nice catch mate! Well done!
Cheers,
Ben. ;)

reef_king
15-08-2006, 09:14 AM
good work craig and a good report, conditions were awesome wern't they.

ty

redbullburley
15-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Well done boys good to see the sly finally got a good trip out, well deserved after a few ordinary ones. the old boy looks pretty happy also.
hopefully i can get out again soon i'm itchin ;)

JB
15-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Top fishing there mate, any pics of the 585 in action??

Fixation
15-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Rhys: Yeah can't wait to get out there again and sound round a little more with it.

Ty: The conditions were alot better than expected. :D We were expecting the swell to be alot bigger than it was.

JB: I only got one picture of the sounder. It's a bit blurred though. I'll chuck it up later on.....

DALEPRICE
15-08-2006, 05:36 PM
top haul of snaps !!
well done.
what kind of boat is that your working from?
cheers dale

Fixation
15-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey JB,

Here's a shot of the sounder after the bite stopped. Sorry about the blurred image. Will try and get a better shot next time.

Dale - We were out in the old mans boat - Seafarer.

Big_Ren
16-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Some great fish Craig. Did you go thru hull with the tranducer or is it transom mounted? I am still having problems with our transducer placement at the transom as it won't read at anything above 10 knots >:(

Cheers
Paul

Smailesy
16-08-2006, 11:33 AM
great fish Craig great pics nice feed

Fixation
16-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Hey Paul,

We got the transom mount transducer on ours. Couldn't come up with the cash for the 1KW through hull. Ours is fine at speed. Picks up the bottom a treat. You might need to bring the transducer down a millimeter or two.

Regards
Craig.