PDA

View Full Version : reds, snapper and pearls

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:06 PM
5 of us headed out, myself,my bro ,and fellow ausfishers ,ian (finding time),damo(deiter) and workmate yann.First time Ive met ian and damien and they turned out to be good guys and good company and are welcome back any time.

We where primarilly hunting reds so off we went.Action was consistent mostly around the tide changes/dawn dusk and moon periods, but slow at times.There was a few good reds landed but we were copping a hiding from the sharks with most of the fish not making it to the boat. We all lost alot of good big fish and even broke a handle on the deck winch ::).

Went chasing some snapper and after about 20 odd we kept throwing the keepers back in hope of some larger models but unfortunatly they didn't grow over 5.6kg, but this was yann's largest to date ;D, and he had a shocker with loosing alot of good fish till he swaped to some circle hooks previous to this.

The best higlights of the trip were the reds and some jigging(havn't really done alot of this) which resulted in a 15kg cod,and some other smallish pelagics(aj's,king's and a cobia) I gave the jig ago at a red mark and got hooked-up to a solid red while yo-yoing at the bottom which unfortunatly resulted in a pulled hook(bloody braid ;D) out of a 5-way hook-up with only 2 legal reds making it onboard. Ran out of esky room and headed in with 89 fish and 2 big cod fillets as unfortunatly it could not be revived when we tried to release it.

photos to follow, didn't get a photo of damiens biggest red..... feel free to add it guys.

first fish of the trip

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:09 PM
damo's 2nd

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:09 PM
yann's first legal red

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:11 PM
solid red at 10.8kg with no tail >:(

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:12 PM
another goodin'

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:13 PM
ian's best to date

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:15 PM
solid parrot.....got a few of these

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:15 PM
cod on jig

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:16 PM
more fish

Dogbream
14-08-2006, 09:16 PM
gday reef king,

you see a tinny go past at 11am sunday morning? that was me!

cheers, well done

dogbream

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:17 PM
trout

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:19 PM
2nd spangled

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:20 PM
early morning snapper

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:21 PM
double

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:22 PM
reds

reef_king
14-08-2006, 09:22 PM
last one

lucyloo
14-08-2006, 09:23 PM
good goin fellas were are use fishing di?
;)

Fixation
14-08-2006, 09:28 PM
nice haul there Ty. Love the pics. Looks like you guys had a great trip. Well done man. Did you find they really came on the bite sat arvo between 4pm and 6pm? We had a monster bite period then.

noluck
14-08-2006, 09:55 PM
well done top catch there
that is lott of red color there

just one Q:
what is zip tie in pearl for ?
cheers no_luck

vertico
14-08-2006, 10:47 PM
probably to mark it as his fish ?
seano

outsiderskip
15-08-2006, 06:17 AM
great catch
good to see mixed colours
pete

StevenM
15-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Nice mixed bag boys

Well done

Cheers

Steven

-spiro-
15-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Awesome effort 8-) Now i'm more annoyed at the missus then ever it was here birthday on the weekend. I was going to pm you and try for a trip. ::)
Hows your arms Ian? Ibet there soar ;D ;D ;D ;D

reef_king
15-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Dogbream,
No don't remember seeing anyone at that time, where were you?

Fixation,
The bite was good between 4-7 sat avro and came RED hot at about 9 that night.

No luck,
Yann marks his fish with a zip tie.

Spiro,
theres always next time, however, my boat is already booked for the next 3 trips.

ty

Brownbear
15-08-2006, 10:32 AM
Hey Reefking, nice catch. Whats with the ziptie in the mouth of the peary???

kitty_cat
15-08-2006, 01:36 PM
always good reports ty well done keep the photos coming iwas up for di trip on the weekend pm me next time will come out for the trip or ian has my no. i was calling him allday saturday to arrange trip but yous guys were allready out killing them
wayne

Fisher4life
15-08-2006, 02:38 PM
What a solid catch!!! :o

I'm with -Spiro, i'm rgretting i didn't PM about that trip.

Looks like you guys had a heap of fun.

bigger esky next time??

The_Bulge
15-08-2006, 03:01 PM
I agree a great effort, no offence but thats alot of fish for 5 blokes in one session. People like you will complain in future times that there aren't any fish around. >:(

Klink

finding_time
15-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Klink

Reread the report mate it wasn't 1 session it was three days >:(

A trip like this takes a lot of planning, waiting for weather, bait ( about $200 worth) ,fuel ( about $900 worth) we were fishing areas that dont get hit because of there isolation.

I think it is completely reasonable to catch 18 odd fish each over this time frame, that's 6 per day!!!! We dont do this every day and can not because of the reasons above. No bag limits were broken and no up!!!sizing was done.

Ian

Ps . Pull your head in killjoy!! ;)

PPs. As your name sugests " You know narsink!!!"

browndog
15-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Excellent catch ty and reefking crew.
Good response ian i agree with you 100%.

michael

BR65
15-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Well said Finding Time

finding_time
15-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Ok now that i've calmed down abit. ::)

Ty and Nathan(TBB)

Big thanks for the trip fellas!! ;) For those on Ausfish that don't know the boys ,they are both very keen and experienced fisho's despite there years (only 19 of them) and have worked very hard to purchase a AWESOME fishing platform, and seem to spend every available minute in it regardless of the weather conditions!! :o I think back to when i was nineteen ( not that long ago really :P) #all i cared about was beer ,rum and skirts, pretty much in that order aswell :D. so it's a real credit to them that they get out and live life to the full. ;)

The trip was great and the weather Perfect!!! I seem to be having alot of good trips recently. :D The fishing was great and at times more like a gym session that a fishing trip as trying to beat the sharks really gets the arms working and the heart going. Sharks generally win though :'(! We moved from area to area slowly collecting our species ,and the boys knowledge of the area is excellent so when they said were going to the snapper spots we caught snapper and pearl spot ,pearlies and so on. Just a great trip!!

Also i was great to meet damo (deiter) and yann , hopefully we will be on another trip soon ;)

Ian

Here's a pic of our ride for the trip!! ;)

finding_time
15-08-2006, 06:17 PM
And a visitor that was keen for a big feed !!!

About 12 feet of Tiger

finding_time
15-08-2006, 06:25 PM
And this was the first fish yann had caught on a jig!!

He was quite addictted by the end of the trip!!

Ian

Ps. he also eats non-stop it's unbelievable!!! i didn't look but i'm sure he probably eats when he's sleeping as well

PPs. Just look at that ocean!!! PERFECT!!!

sempre
15-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Nice work boys , and well said Ian .

indy
15-08-2006, 07:04 PM
well done ty and crew quality all round

reef_king
15-08-2006, 07:41 PM
Well said ian, we fished an area for reds, moved 15nm for snapper and 13nm to get pearlies, havn't hit these areas in over 4 months and some in over a year. If i continue to fish like this i don't think i'll ever be complaining.......better than some boats that flogg the same area week after week(ie. the banks)I have over 1000 marks and are lucky to get to any one given mark 2-3 times a year.

TBB.... lol ;D

Ty

Big_Ren
15-08-2006, 09:12 PM
As Ian said, these type of trips take a helluva lot of planning and effort, dollars, and not to mention luck with the weather. Do the maths and it's a perfectly acceptable catch....well a bloody beaut catch really ;D But at the end of the day, it was thoroughly deserved.

That's tops Ty and crew [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Ty, the cat looks an awesome rig mate. I take it that it fishes 5-up easy with plenty of room to swing a cat (so to speak ;D).

One final question has me curious. How'd ya break the deck winch????

Cheers
Paul

tunachasa
15-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Well said Ian (finding time), you've got my vote. We worked very hard for our total of 89 fish between the 5 of us over the 3 days. You just have to do the math before you start complaining about anyones total catch. [smiley=furious2.gif] Ty and Nathan are an awesome team to fish with. Their boating skills and fishing knowledge is amazing for 19 year olds. This was by far the best offshore trip to date for me even though I lost a lot of fish [smiley=bigcry.gif]. Your right Ian I am hooked on jigging after that trip. It was great fun. All in all it was a great three days for me and a pleasure to have fished with four top blockes [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. Anyway must go I think dinner's ready [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]. Looking foward to the next trip reefking. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]. Yann (tunachasa)

Deiter
15-08-2006, 09:33 PM
g'day Guys...still filleting :P...be with you soon.

p.s. Yann, how did i know you would drop everything for dinner ;D ;D ;D

pps. top blokes, top rig, top weather, top fish.
I feel very, very privilidged to have gotten the call up to go on the trip.

I can't speak highly enough of Ty & TTB ( ;D) apart from not being axe murderers, i wish i had your nouse and commitment at 19. i was committed too, but only to the things Ian mentioned b4.

i'll get that red pic up when i finish cleaning up. (I can feel a new avatar coming on :)).

Damo

SeaSaw
15-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Great catch and a top report Ty & all #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

It takes real skill to fish for three days and target specific species so as not to go over your bag limits and have to throw back fish that have been dragged up from the depths. #Bugger the knockers, its a top effort and no laws have been broken.

As Ty said, if more people looked around and stopped flogging the same spots and dragging in all the undersized fish in those areas, then the fish might have a chance to recover.

Well done.

Mark

Reefmaster
16-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Well done guys some great fish there once again. 3 days of paradise does it get any better. 8-)

Ty i reckon Ian's shark shield may be the only option for us to keep those sharks away from the reds. ;) Could be the next best invention. :)

Regards,
Greg

The_Bulge
16-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Hey Finding Time, where does the original report from Reef King say 3 days. I have reread it and if it was 3 days thats fair enough I apologise but nowhere does it say 3 days so maybe you should reread it send me an apology. By the way it was Shultz who said I know nuthing not Klink.

finding_time
16-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Klink

your correct on that! But before you shoot from the hip it always best to get more information, just like your reply to the (barwon banks in a small tinnie post) you had no idea how big the guys tinnie was yet you asked " how much life insurance do you have?"

Ian

The_Bulge
16-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Me shoot from the hip. How about what you said to me and still cant apologise. >:(

finding_time
16-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Me shoot from the hip. How about what you said to me and still cant apologise. #>:(

So your the victim here!!! ;D ;D

Which comment do you want me to apologise for? I'm guessing it was the" pull your head in killjoy " comment. # Are you saying you were not being a killjoy!! Why did you feel the need to attack ty's post? #

Klink you started this because you felt the need to bring someone down for no reason at all ! You are not the fishing police! If you wish to attack someones fishing habits make sure you get ALL the facts before you SHOOT FROM THE HIP!! #

Ian

Ps. I don't believe i have anything to apologise for!! ;)

PPs. Not a very nice PM klink easy to be tough in private mate!!! :-*

The_Bulge
16-08-2006, 11:37 PM
:-* :-* :-* :'( :'( :'(

Deiter
17-08-2006, 12:20 PM
hey Klinky, it really doesn't matter a rats ar$e if it was 2 hours or 2 weeks, the fact remains that we stayed below our bag limits and were actually releasing legal fish to target their bigger bretheren.
isn't that what you do, try and catch the best fish you can?

so with that in mind, why are you complaining. i couldn't giva a $hit if Finding_time or anyone else gives you a serve, you stuck your neck out with a bold call where it wasn't warranted, so you get kicked - live and learn buddy.

I was going to ignore you the first time, but i don't think you should start expecting an appology for getting putting in your place. sounds to me like you are having a sook coz you can't get a haul like we did. Jeez, if that's the road we are going to go down, this site would be full of whingers, me included 99% of the time!

maybe you are a good bloke, but this time you muffed up, and had a go at 5 guys for doing nothing wrong. If you are not a fool, don't make foolish calls.
Deadset, i thought you were a bloody greenie.

So there, let people enjoy a good fishing trip when it comes along without some moral high-gounder having his ill-informed 2cents. very easy to do with the comfort of anonymity isn't it?

and thanx to the other guys for their kind words, coz believe it or not, it was HARD WORK! just happened to be the best kind ;)

Damo