PDA

View Full Version : DI with the Lamprechts (Sun/Mon 13-14 Aug)

Anne-T-Dote
15-08-2006, 11:18 PM
DI with the Lamprechts

Howdy all.

WOW – I have just been on what I can honestly say was the best fishing trip I have EVER had – I was fortunate enough to be invited along to fish with Greg and Terry Lamprecht for an overnighter off Double Island Point on Sunday night, and what a thrill it was to receive that phone call.

With the weather being near perfect we headed out over the Wide Bay Bar at about 5:30am (or so) on Sunday and immediately proceeded to collect some live slimies and yakkas. The smoke from the fire behind Rainbow Beach made things interesting as the visibility was quite poor – not bad enough to be dangerous though.

We then ventured to one of Greg’s marks quite close in. My first fish of the day saw me grunting and groaning a bit and I was thinking that if I don’t hurry up and get this thing up, the boys might think I was a bit soft. After a fair struggle and some friendly jeering from the lads, my fears of being labelled a softy were elated as a nice gold spot estuary cod of around 20kg hit the surface. Its swim bladder had blown and its eyes were bulging, and being 105cm long (less than the max size limit) we decided to keep it.

We picked up a few more fish from these close in grounds, then decided to head wide looking for some pearlies. The fishing for the next few hours was not what Greg and Terry would call super hot action, but it was still better than good in my books. We put a few pearlies, moses perch, maori cod, gold and black spot cod etc. into the esky, with Terry picking up a few good spanglies for some spectacular colour variation. I picked up a small sambo as well that put on a nice show. It had me thinking RED for a while, but since it turned out to be silver it was released to give someone else a bit of curry on another day.

Early afternoon we headed back into one of their marks that Greg has written about before – one of those spots where there are Reds galore, but the grey suits are there in army formation, not letting a single fish through the ranks. We gave it a shot, thinking that we might be able to raise a few fish before they move in. First drop had us all hooked up within seconds on fish that felt good all round. The race was soon over for Greg – his was first to be chomped, then Terry’s, then mine – all within about a 10 second gap. It turned out that the same shark that ate Terry’s fish came and ate mine while Terry was still hooked up to it, so we were both hooked up to the same shark for a while (well, we think so anyway as the exact same things were happening to my line as Terry’s at the exact same time).

The next drop saw a legal Red hit the surface as we had drifted away from the main shark school a bit. I think we may have picked up one or two more here before moving on, but at least the sharks didn’t get any more.

As the afternoon was getting on it was time to head to another one of their close-in spots to anchor up for the night. We ran a couple of drifts to find where the fish were and what the drift direction was before anchoring. Greg and Terry had us sitting right on the honey pot on the first attempt at anchoring just on sunset. The next half hour was absolutely awesome with good quality Reds coming up quite regularly. My best was 7.8kg (72cm) – also my best ever, Greg landed the best of the trip going 9.4kg and Terry unfortunately didn’t quite get to the surface what would have easily been a 12kg Red – it spat the hooks about 2m under the surface right beside the boat and then just kind of sat there for about 10 seconds or so before moving off and diving down into the deep. The thought of jumping in after it crossed our minds for about 1 tenth of a second, but remembering the way those sharks were feeding on the reds at the other spot soon changed our minds.

After a quiet spell with the wind just now picking up to about 12-15 knots and the sky getting quite dark with the moon not rising ‘till a bit later, I started to feel the early signs of motion sickness so decided to hit the hay before it got to the point of no-return. After a short while I felt good as gold, but didn’t get up again that night just in case.

We got up at 4:30am to try again for some reds (I was feeling normal again), but alas it wasn’t to be, so off to some snapper grounds for something different. Well that was a ball with the snapper smashing the floaters time and time again. Nothing outrageously big, but a nice size all the same and plenty of them.

We pulled he pin in time for us to get back to brissy by 4:30pm. What a blast. As I said earlier – the best trip I have EVER had.

A MASSIVE THANKS again to Terry and Greg for the opportunity to share with you the experience of a lifetime and have a closer look into what goes on at this level of angling – a level of angling that you guys have excelled in and that has earned you your reputation. I also might add that I couldn’t have asked for better company on board a boat at sea for a day and a half (fish or no fish). You guys are great blokes.

Also thanks to Greg’s mum Nancy for burning the disk of photos for me – some great memories there.

Here are some of the pics – Greg intends on putting some of the better ones in Bush n’ Beach, so keep your eyes peeled.

PS Greg – you take a great pic.

One of Terry's Spanglies:

Anne-T-Dote
15-08-2006, 11:19 PM
The small sambo

Anne-T-Dote
15-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Esky shot

Anne-T-Dote
15-08-2006, 11:21 PM
cod, red and spangled emp.

Anne-T-Dote
15-08-2006, 11:22 PM
last one - Greg sees RED again ;D ;D

Herm
16-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Hey DAD! :D

I thought that you would be on nappy duty for a few more weeks before Anne let you out to play! - it took me about 4 years! ;)

Congrats again on the arrival of Wild Jack and hope that all is well and that Anne is recovering!

What a trip! It sounds like you had a great time! I caught my first squire last week and can only image what it would be like to catch fish like those that you caught on this trip! Well done on the PB!

Will have to try and catch up soon!

Cheers
:)Janine

griz066
16-08-2006, 06:44 AM
Great stuff mate 8-)

revs57
16-08-2006, 07:32 AM
Nice one Rob...Greg sure knows his stuff with those red things hey!

Glad you had a great day!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Excellent report

cheers

Rhys

Big_Ren
16-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Oh Yeahhhhhhhhhhh ;)

Top report Robbie. No doubt that you will eat well as Greg and Terry probably have their own recipe book reserved exclusively for cooking reds which they probably shared with you ;D

Congratulations mate and also to the boys.

Cheers
Paul

finding_time
16-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Maccamania

Great fish!! I know exactally how you feel when the the fish hits you wind like there is no tomorrow and after about 15 seconds just as you start to think you might have beaten the sharks the line goes slack :o :o :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Ian

reef_king
16-08-2006, 08:37 AM
well done crew,and well done on your pb mate well deserved ;) .Gotta love them reds ;D ;D

Reefmaster
16-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Good report Rob

Firstly i would like to say a big congrats to Rob and his wife Anne who just recently had a baby boy called Jack :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I'm sure he will bring you many years of great times and not so many great times. ;D ::) 8-)

The fishing certainly was slow during the day but I'm glad we came back in closer and got a nice Red bite session just on dark although it was a pitty the anchor decided to drag right when they were stepping up in size but thats fishing. I think the sharks would have given us hell if we stayed out wide.

Rob was worried about being a jinx but with a 20kg cod first drop on his tld15 he soon gained some confidence and pulled some great fish all weekend. Sunday morning had us near some snapper grounds and Rob had the Snapper at his finger tips pulling them one after another on his floater. :D

Although the fishing was slow apart from the Red session we ended up with a good haul of fish but with a big variety too. The following was what species ended up in the esky.

Red Emperor
Snapper
Pearlies
Spangald Emperor
Coronation Trout
Gold spot cod
Black spot cod
Wire netting cod
Maori Cod
Tomato Cod
Hussar
Moses Perch
Parrot
Samson (released)
Trevally (bait)

15 species of fish basicly caught one day. Gotta love the fraser coast region as you get a good mix of both tropical and sub tropical fish.

Rob It was a pleasure to have you aboard and your welcome anytime.

Regards,
Greg

Gummtree
16-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Rob,
Excellent write up Mate. I can imagine how excited you would have been at receiving that phone call and the reason is obvious. Fishing with the masters. Top job.

Leigh

Franco
16-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Ripper night out guys! Awesome to see everything come together. Shame about the sharks but we all gotta eat!! You got us estuary-boys hungry for reds now!

Might be a bigger boat comin to live in my place in the next few years me thinks!

seapup
16-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Nice work boys! some brilliant fish there!
cheers,
ben.

Smailesy
16-08-2006, 11:28 AM
great fish

gropeher
16-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Awesome catch guys,
Can you tell me what your rig is, and how big please.

Cheers Ryan..

lattic
16-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Great report, and well done all round. I just finished reading Gregs report from this months B'nB, seems like he can go out there and get those quality fish on a drop of a hat. I guess you want to make sure you are bringing back a good feed with the price of fuel these days. Once again, good on ya's.

Muz

kitty_cat
16-08-2006, 03:32 PM
as always good feed greg maybe you might pm me soon for a fish
wayne

jason_snappa
16-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Hey Macca,
Bet your arms are still sore and young ed is spitting chips!!!
Congrats on the fish and congrates to you and anne on the new bub.
c u around
Axel

sempre
16-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Good on ya boys , considering it was pretty quiet on Sunday , or maybe just where i was .

chicken
16-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Top effort good to see.

maztez
16-08-2006, 06:56 PM
This is what its all about..great report great catch great pics couldnt be better.congrats to all concerned
cheers Terry

perko
16-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Way to go fellas, what rigs you do the best on the reds with?

Anne-T-Dote
16-08-2006, 08:58 PM
Hey Janine :D Congrats on the squire. Chris T was mentioning today that you had got amongst them - well done. Jack is doing great and Anne is well too. Yep - she's a trooper for letting me go when he was only 3 & 1/2 weeks old. Am keen to cach up with you guys too.

Rhys, yeah mate, he sure knows his stuff. It blew me away actually. :o :o

Leigh mate - YEP - if there's anyone out there who knows exactly what went through my mind at the time of that phone call, it's you. I think I must just about made your ears bleed with raving at work about the fish that Greg & Terry catch off DI.

Greg, thanks for the vote of congrats RE the young fella - Anne says to say thanks too. Here is a pic of him at two days old, still in hospital watching his first ever TV show:

Great_White
16-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Top catch Rob :o :o :o, you need to help Janine and I catch one or two of those big fish, Just like in that big esky ;D ;D ;D

Peter ;)

Gummtree
17-08-2006, 11:28 AM
Rob,
Mate, the ears may have been bleeding but it was the sweetest music. It is a wonder we ever got any bloody work done, well, sometimes we didn't get a lot done but we will keep that quiet. Nothing like having a good chat about fishing and I was totally stoked about the stories you relayed about Greg and Terry. After reading Ausfish for a year on your advise, I can see why they are regarded as the "Masters". You are right, I had this mental image of you getting that phone call, mate, I knew instantly when I read about it how stoked you would have been. Like a dream come true. To see your face would have been priceless. Congrats to all involved. I think everyone that reads the report tries to picture themselves in your shoes catching fish with the lads. I know I did and not ashamed to admit it. Greg and Terry, you have ruined his working career, he was bad enough before to get any work out of, he will totally bloody useless now. ;D
Cheers Mate, good on ya.

Deiter
17-08-2006, 12:49 PM
g'day there Macca, :)

congrats on getting the call up, catching good fish, ...oh, and the bub. ;)

it is awesome country out there, though you still have to do the work, they don't catch themselves.

Looks like you will be eating fish for a while then hey. i am interested to know just how many you brought home to show mum?

damo

Smithy
17-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Ryan,

Reefie is running a 5.5m JBS with a Suzuki 2 stroke I believe. Think they are running a JRC FF50 Sounder a colour Garmin GPS.

gropeher
17-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks Smithy,
I was curious as to what size rig would be required to hit some of those wider grounds one day, I have a 500 Cruise Craft Explorer with a Yamaha 100 4 stroke.

Cheers Ryan..

isaac
17-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Outstanding fish Macca and the Reefmasters, that big gold spots a top effort on the tld15 Macca, hope you have some tips to pass on to me about running my JRC next time I see you! ;D;D Congrats to Ann and yourself on young Jack Mac. Ben