PDA

View Full Version : Dud Banks Trip Tuesday...

bignick
16-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Hit the Banks on Tuesday morning, but a fresh Northwesterly on arrival signalled some impeding doom. Although the wind did back off somewhat and swing around to the Southeast throughout the day, not much fish was to be had. Deckie for the day was Dean ( the artist formally known as "Sackrash") and we headed out in the early morning darkness to a confused sea. The ride out was a bit sloppy, but the mighty V-Sea coped well, but did suffer a busted windscreen from the day's pounding and 2 blokes getting smashed into it a couple of times. I got pantsed (ie. didn't trouble the scorers, fish wise), but Dean finished up with a Pearlie, a Parrot, an Amberjack, a Rat Kingie and a Snapper somewhere around 5kg. The highlight of the day was Dean catching his snapper on a metal jig, although a must point out that, after a handful of drops with the jig, he was huffing and puffing so hard, I had to check that Christopher Skase hadn't climbed on board at the ramp. Back at the ramp about 1815 after a good run home in the sloppy seas from the Sotheaster in the afternoon. All in all, a waste of time, effort and MONEY which I would be loathe to do again, for some time at least.

Cheers,
NICK.

Big_Ren
16-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Hang in there Nick. That's just fishing. After every loss, you're closer to your next win. It WILL happen for ya.

Cheers
Paul

pittymick
16-08-2006, 10:09 AM
a bad banks trip sux............... long way to go to luck out, i,ve been playing at cal wide its a nce 45` 1hr trip and still produces some thumper snapper, and if the fish arn,t on the chew its that much quicker to get home and hosed ;D

Smailesy
16-08-2006, 11:25 AM
you have to take the good with the bad unlucky mate not good about the screen

Dave
16-08-2006, 11:38 AM
You have to have a dud one every now and then, really makes you apprecitae the good days. I am sure you will even the score next time.

Dave

kitty_cat
16-08-2006, 03:38 PM
no such thing as abad trip ,always a bad day on the water is a better day than on land just appreciate being out there (only my threory)

Wooly
16-08-2006, 05:48 PM
gota lov those norwesters!!

revs57
16-08-2006, 06:01 PM
Yeah Nick

Chin up mate...we went out Tuesday for a similar result...sp-e-w-ing...Fitzy even brought along one of those fancy fandangle Cannon down riggers for a try out...nice piece of gear but do you think we could entice a bite...worked pretty hard for a few snaps, a feed of pearlies and the odd spangle/green job/venus thrown in for good measure.

Reckon its must've been the moon...twice as keen for the next trip on the moon!!!

cheers

Rhys

BAR_UP
16-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Nick, the forecast wasnt good for tuesday im suprised you went all that way. Even on a good forecast it can still go to shit. I agree with the others still beats the hell out of work. ;D ;D ;D

bignick
16-08-2006, 09:09 PM
I think I'm going to have to fish out of here for a while, what with fuel price the way it is; no wonder people are giving away offshore fishing. Looks as though the weather might go on its head again anyway (gee these weather windows are narrow). Have to fix the screen ASAP and look at the run up to the next Full Moon in September. Either head out through South Passage or put in at Scarborough and head up around the Cape. Then again, with wife heavily pregnant again and the time fast approaching, one might be restricted to little Bay trips where mobile phones still work and the trip home is a quick one should the need arise. Still, if I'd kept it in my pocket, i wouldn't find myself in this predicament in the first place. Ah well, ya live & learn.....

Cheers,
NICK.

gawby
16-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Let me tell you, Brejen and myself have had that many dud trips you would get sick of reading them. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
But we have had some corkers as well. :) :) :)
Thats fishing.
Graeme ;)

bignick
16-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Last time I had an all day shocker at the Banks, I hit the Bay the following week and filled the esky whith big Squire and Snapper to 6.5kg and I was home in my driveway by 10 o'clock in the morning. And I only used a bit of burley (old scungy bait), some Squid tails I found and rescued from the burley mix, 2kg of Pillies and about 30 litres of fuel, counting to the ramp and back in the car. There you go....

Cheers,
NICK.

swano
17-08-2006, 06:39 AM
yeah shaw was tough out there gettin hit round like a pinball machine and we had to work hard for the fish hey rhys , and again the plastics dominated catchin the bigger fish , havent got a piccy of birdy's spangly so this little snap will have to do ;)
cheers swano

Birdy
17-08-2006, 07:09 AM
Yep the plastics in deep water once again proved the winner on the day.It is interesting what we have been dragging up from the deep on them of late.

Birdy

aussie_true_blue
17-08-2006, 12:21 PM
G'day Nick,

Yeah we out on Wednesday Morn about 5:00am a bit of a rought trip in 10-15k sloopy s,easterly slop.

took around 1hr 45 min to get to the banks.

tried to drop anchor with around 100m of rope in 61m of water but still drifted at around 1.2k/ph. wernt game to put out the sea anchor. The chop reminded me of Moreton bay when it gets rough, wall of water chop some upto 1.8mt and about 2-3mtrs apart .

Got a couple of parrot around 5kg and 7 squire/snapper to 4kg and a few under size pearlies and squire which we threw back..

The s'easter increased to around 15-20 (and some) around middday and went round to eastery so we decided to come home. Took nearly 2 hrs to get home again in the washing machine conditions.

We left some boats still out there fishing but it started to get too choppy for us. We were in a 5.2mtr allycraft cuddy cab

Bob

-spiro-
18-08-2006, 07:34 AM
As stated you caren't get alot of fish everytime..... We went out Sun/Mon on a overnighter trip. We found that there wasn't really any bite time they were just solo fish coming onboard every now and then. I also found that there wasn't anything of great size. It blew atleast 20-25knots from when we got there till when we left. So keep trying 8-)