PDA

View Full Version : Maiden Hards Voyage

JustOneMore
14-08-2006, 10:44 AM
G'day all Ausfishers,

With the weather prediction so good, we had plans for our first trip to the Hards. Set out from Mooloolba at about 3:30am. No livies to be had at the usual spot, so we proceeded to head out in good time. We travelling along with Clint06 to explore the new ground. Hlaf way out we hear a small bang and loose reading on the sounder. Thinking the transducer has flicked up I went to the back to click it back into position. Feeling around and no transducer? :o Feel around a bit more and the wire has broken as well! :'( :'( :'( That put a dampener on the whole experience. Not happy to say the least.

We continued out with Clint as the scout. I only had two marks for the hards, so clint sounded around and found the structure. Did a couple of drifts for some nice squire and reefies. Clint headed off to find some new ground whilst we anchored a managed to catch a couple of nice snappery-squire.

Drifted a few spots on the way home with no luck, and left Clint at about midday averaged 35kn all the way back, awesome conditions. I hear he went to his cobia spot and got a few? Now I'm off to get a new transducer!

JOM

JustOneMore
14-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Awesome sunrise! 8-)

JustOneMore
14-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Oddbudman with a nice snapper.

JustOneMore
14-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Yours truly with another snappery-squire.

JustOneMore
14-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Quality squire.

JustOneMore
14-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Clint06 travelling along at about 35knots. Look at those conditions! ;) Photo above OOps. Final count below. Good fishing all day, but not great.

Slient
14-08-2006, 11:17 AM
At the least you & guys got some fish home and let The new "CSI Silent Assassin" ;D to inspect what was the cause the transducer has flicked up... ;D :D :-? :-[ sorry mate it's not my job to investage because no homicide there... :P
By way good size snapper & squires... 8-)

Happy fishing
Silent
P.S. my grumpy point has rised a bit... :-X

Clint06
14-08-2006, 11:21 AM
We got onto some cobia later in the day, not as thick as last time but they were still there.

JustOneMore
14-08-2006, 12:18 PM
Your a bugger Clint. I knew we should have followed you down there. What bait did you get them on?

Actually they look like another photo of the same fish you caught last week?

By the way, I love your new man-bag your wearing! ;D

Slient
14-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Hey Damo
just noted Clint has changed his T-shirt for second photography with same cobia he caught weeks ago... ;D

Clint... sorry mate I was trying to cheer Damo up... ::)
By the way nice cobia again... 8-)

happy fishing
Silent

outsiderskip
14-08-2006, 01:25 PM
nice fish
shame about transducer

pete

Clint06
14-08-2006, 01:40 PM
man-bag.... smart-ass.. just remember jealousy is a curse ;D

we kept 3 cobia this time, dropped a couple during the fight and left them biting because we had to get home. Got em on whole squid, live yakka, yakka fillets - they weren't real fussy.
How good were the conditions out there!

Dave
14-08-2006, 09:06 PM
What time was the photo taken heading back in. Boat looked like one heading in with me.

SeaSaw
14-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Losing the transducer ... that had to hurt :'( Fishing in a new area without a sounder is near impossible, so you did well to get a few. Makes me wonder how people used to find fish working off just land marks. You can't complain about those conditions though :)

Cheers,

Mark

JustOneMore
15-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Hainesy,

Photo of Clint travelling along was taken at about 11am, but they didn't come in until later in the the arvo.

Seasaw,

Mate losing your transducer on the way out to new ground was as welcome as a kick in the nuts. We were just lucky we headed out with another boat or we would have ended up with nothing. Since being out there a flying blind, I have given a lot of thought to the old ways before technology. Must have been a lot of trail and error. But by the same token they didn't have to travel out as far to get a good feed and were able to use land marks.

JOM.

aussie_true_blue
18-08-2006, 08:00 PM
JOM,,

Yeah you got it there you didnt have to travel too far for a feed.

around 25 years ago I was working on a trawler and were going back to Yellow Patch after a night at sea when we came across a reef in about 6 fathoms of water NW of the patch. We stayed there anchored for 4 days and caught 3,000 kg of snapper.

We didnt have GPS so were unable to relocate the site. Have tried to find it again over the years but cant.

bob