PDA

View Full Version : Moreton offshore saturday

bidkev
20-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Firstly, I'd like to thank Foxy for taking the time to recently pm with info on techniques for fishing offshore. Armed with this new found knowledge, and a very busy last week, I disciplined myself ;D to stay off ausfish for a week and with what spare time I had, prepare myeself for an offshore exped. I spent hours on the furuno so that I could operate it without constantly referring to the manual and also spent hours making up tackle so that it was to hand when those big buggers bricked me ;D berley was minced in my wife's new mincer ;D and cubes pre-cut to save time at sea.

Left Nudgee at 6am knowing full well that I had missed the best of it, and picked my way through the fog till safely outside the narrowng channel.........very eerie! :-/ :o

Uneventful run on smooth waters till we hit the cape an hour later :o :o It was like a washing machine ::) :o and I very nearly turned round wondering if it was the same outside. Rigs plodding no less than 100 metres in front of us were lost to view in a swell the size of which I'd never encountered before and I dropped down to 8 knotts. By the time we rounded the cape to flatter seas all the kids were either throwing up or on the verge of it.........the deckie was also a lovely shade of green ;D Nice to have found a bit more confidence in the rig and to have gained a bit of knowledge of handling her.

Hit spot X and attempted to drift but no go. Minimum of 12 ozs of lead needed and more on the heavier tackle/line when we anchored up.

Got into the squire almost immediately nearly all around the 32 to 40 mark..... decided to return these in the hopes of something bigger but the pickers put an end to that ::) Couldn't keep a bait on the bigger tackle and had to abandon the pilles in favour of squid strip, but even this was got at.

Couldn't find any livies either so had rigged up the big guns with dead pike which I lowered to just above the kelp. Throughout the next 3 hours these were hit 3 times one doing a scorching run of about 100 metres before it bricked me in the kelp.......waiting 10 minutes in the hope that whetever it was would come out was to no avail and trying to break off 70lb braid in a rocking boat was a fair experieence :o ;D

I was fishing alone by this time as all the crew were crook (unusual for them) and the bites were that fast I was down to fishing just one rod. The bigger squire never eventuated though and I was kicking myself for returning the previous bigger ones.

Decided to move for the last couple of hours to a patch that had produced a nice feed of goldies consistently in the past and accordinlgy downgraded the size of my hooks and bait. Was kept just as busy at this spot with a large range of small reefies and near on (at a guess) 50 or so keepable tarwhine but kept only enough for a feed. This spot also produced a run on the heavy gear with the pike bait that pulled so hard that I couldn't get the rod out of the holder..........took about 200 metres of line before dropping the bait :'(

That's it folks.......didn't pan out as I hoped but we got a feed and JJ pulled a beautiful tarwhine that went 36 cms.

kev

bidkev
20-08-2006, 10:23 AM
:D

bidkev
20-08-2006, 10:23 AM
:D

BR65
20-08-2006, 10:47 AM
terrific gold spot wrasse there kingtin. Good to see a little sea sickness didnt stop the fishing. What do you think the un stoppables were - amberjack?
Regards
Brian

Fishin_Dan
20-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Saw you out there on saturday when you were trying to anchor up mate. Gave you a wave, but you were facing the other way.

If you had of gone slightly north of there, there were some better quality Squire and the current was nowhere near as bad. We ran a drift about 4 or 5 times, and the last drift was the only one we didn't catch a legal fish on. That's when we hooked the lures on, and trawled back to Comby Point before heading home.

bidkev
20-08-2006, 11:50 AM
terrific gold spot wrasse there kingtin. Good to see a little sea sickness didnt stop the fishing. What do you think the un stoppables were - amberjack?
Regards
Brian

Dunno Brian? Only been fishing offshore for about 9 months and don't have a great deal of experience with those kind of runs. I would've thought an Amberjack or Kingy would've gone straight for the bottom but these ran sort of horizontal away from the boat for a good while and only hit bottom when they felt me pulling 'em up. The last run was a scorcher and I guess it came up pretty close to the surface judging from the angle of the line.

kev

bidkev
20-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Saw you out there on saturday when you were trying to anchor up mate. Gave you a wave, but you were facing the other way.

If you had of gone slightly north of there, there were some better quality Squire and the current was nowhere near as bad. We ran a drift about 4 or 5 times, and the last drift was the only one we didn't catch a legal fish on. That's when we hooked the lures on, and trawled back to Comby Point before heading home.

Was that later on Dan, near Brennans? Yeah, I had trouble with the anchor.........it wouldn't hold and a retreive showed it had somehow managed to get one of the picks wedged in the chain ::) Bloody deckie just chucks it and hopes for the best ::) I've docked her wages ;D

The current wasn't so bad there, but further south it was racing. The guy in the boat in front of us was only about 50 metres away and he wasn't getting a touch yet they were firing under us. Just a shame the squire weren't bigger but the tarwhine were real quality. Also got some fish which look like sweep going near a kilo and a half each but not being sure what they were as sweep aren't supposed to come this far north, they went back.

kev

Fishin_Dan
20-08-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah around 12ish or so. There were a few boats there (I think Bite_Me was there too). Saw the Ausfish stickers on the side, then noticed the name of the boat, and knew it was you :)

Neither Sunny or I had fished out there before, so we were kinda "flying blind" ;D

We had a couple of those unstoppables too... I managed to have one on for about 2 minutes or so before it smoked me. Certainly had some power in it! A mate of mine has caught a kingie where you were when he was pulling some lures behind him at slow speed about a month or two ago, so maybe it was them... That headland looks like where we used to fish for them back in Sydney years ago, so it wouldn't suprise me

SeaSaw
20-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Those unstopables can be a lot of fun for about a minute, then its time to rerig :-[

Great to see you out with the family and catching fish. Well done Kev. :)

Cheers,

Mark

-spiro-
20-08-2006, 09:15 PM
sounds like fun Kev ;D

Big_Ren
21-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Sounds like an interesting day Kev. At least you scored some reefies and what a nice stinker (tarwhine) that is.

Hope you didn't have to spend too much time cleaning the boat after the onset of "green deckie" syndrome ;D

Cheers
Paul

Slient
21-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Nice feed there...
What sort boat, size motor?
Just giving me idea to compare my boat to be owned in few month time (see my avatar)
That you spend an hour travel from Nugdee to Cape...how much litre burn?

Would be appreciated if you answer

Happy fishing
Silent

bidkev
21-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Nice feed there...
What sort boat, size motor?
Just giving me idea to compare my boat to be owned in few month time (see my avatar)
That you spend an hour travel from Nugdee to Cape...how much litre burn?

Would be appreciated if you answer

Happy fishing
Silent

G'day Silent. Mate, she's a Whittley Sea Legend 650 pushed by a 4.3litre 220hp Mercruiser donk.

She's been burning 110 litres at 3,500 revs but last trip out I kept her at 30 knotts for 3100rpm. With 2 adults and 4 kids aboard she burned 96 litres to Shallow tempest return, a saving of 14 litres.

Good luck with your purchase.

kev

snappa
21-08-2006, 03:38 PM
mr ..tin

if ya promise to close your eyes to the rig i used ... i will take ya for a
"snappa attack"

when it suits you...
so

u can post up shots of ya holding a descent fish instead of them vermin

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i think i have ya no. but if interested send me a PM

revs57
21-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Glad to hear you and the fam got out Kev.

That Foxy is a wealth of info hey

Sorry the fish didn't co-operate with your planning although at least you got a nice feed and JJ certaily held his end up with that nice Tarwine.

We might have to give it a nudge in the morning...let you know how we go

Did you see any whales out there?

Cheers

Rhys

bidkev
21-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Glad to hear you and the fam got out Kev.

That Foxy is a wealth of info hey

Sorry the fish didn't co-operate with your planning although at least you got a nice feed and JJ certaily held his end up with that nice Tarwine.

We might have to give it a nudge in the morning...let you know how we go

Did you see any whales out there?

Cheers

Rhys

Yeah Rhys, we saw two. One came within 20 metres of us but wasn't playing and just kept going.

I've lost your tel No: otherwise I would have given you a bell. The deckie's been off for 4 days so I was free. She's off till Wed then she is on 5 nights so I'll be buggered for a trip then. I'm thinking of giving it a go tomorrow but can't make my mind up as to offshore or the Pine.

kev