PDA

View Full Version : Spearing off Moreton...Again

FishFinger1977
20-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Hi all, we left early saturday along with half of Brisbane for some spearing off Moreton, the viz was down a bit on previous weeks, not being able to see the bottom when on top was a little daunting I must say. It was a bit nervous for the first part of the dive until we got a little comfortable with the murky water.

It played with us though as we were able to sneak up on some awesome fish with relative ease. The first spot we went to was alive with about 8 cod and an abundance of fish around them, It is always pleasing to see the ecosystem with these magnificent creatures around. I had to inform Barn not to shoot any of them as once they go the reef really goes with them.

We dived a couple of explorative dives into the murk but were rewared with some fine fish for the table, my highlight was the coral trout which is not a very common capture down here, Barn's was his parrot. We saw quite a few very large parrot almost double the size of the one Barn shot. I was almost going to go for one as it had holed in it's home but saw the trout (there were actually a few of them there but they were flighty after the first one was taken.

All in all it was a good day but the boat traffic prevented us from going to some of the better spots as not many people would release the large cod that inhabit them. Regards Scott

FishFinger1977
20-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Barn and the catch...

FishFinger1977
20-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Another of the trout...It should also be noted that we left a lot of good fish to fight another day as we had enough for both our families...

FishFinger1977
20-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Barn and his parrot...Also for all of you who helped after the accident a while ago a very big thank you to you all...And you are welcome to come out for a trip sometime...

FishFinger1977
20-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Barn and his parrot...Also for all of you who helped after the accident a while ago a very big thank you to you all...And you are welcome to come out for a trip sometime...

bidkev
20-08-2006, 05:05 PM

Nice to see you back in the game and scoring some, Scott. Mate, I ain't too fond of swimming with Noahs so I'll pass on the offer of a trip thanks, but you can chuck a few parrot my way instead ;) ;D

kev

Thunderbird
20-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Nice trout and a good looking parrot as well,
Must feel like finding gold being able to get a trout this far down the coast imo.
Man that's a big gun or are you just happy to be back in the water again???.lol..
cheers birdy

StevenM
20-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Nice work guys

good to see that you never got greedy

Cheers

Steven

-spiro-
20-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Another top report boyz :oawesome

Smailesy
21-08-2006, 08:31 AM
good stuff great fish nice trout

Big_Ren
21-08-2006, 10:36 AM
Top stuff Scott. Glad to see you're right back into it.

Cheers
Paul

Slient
21-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Pretty trout & tusk you picked right... ;)

Happy fishing
Silent

Bundy_Burp
21-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Good report guys great to see some healthy fish on the reefs around moreton also good to see you arent greedy and left some for the rest of us .

Bundy 8-)

Badone
21-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Nice trout and tuskie boys. Good to see that you didn't shoot those cod, they are too easy and if removed take a while to repopulate. FF are you the guy who was hit by a boat at Nth Stradie? If so well done on getting back in the water.

FishFinger1977
22-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Roota, it is a big gun but I am used to using big things ;D

Badone, nah mate I was not hit by a boat but the boat I went out on sank and took everything I had not to mention everyone elses.

I will hopefully get a decent camera soon and get some good photos of the fish that are down there as there is quite a few more than what I ever caught while fishing. Regards Scott

devocean1
22-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Edge rail guns hey, Im a woodie man myself but I dont mind those guns as well. What depth are you guys spearing in? Nice coastal trout.

tuskie
22-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Good one FF. That's the advantage of spearing: take only what you need and leave the rest alone. Good to see Devocean knows his fish: coastal (or bar-cheek) trout aren't as common as Leopard trout down this far south. By the way FF, us spearos call them TUSKIES (black-spot tuskfish). Leave the word PARROT to the linies, who drag them in on their "flookin' poles" and don't usually know the difference. One day I'll take me old Nikonos down and get a good shot of a big school of grey sawtail at shallow tempest to show the linies their "snapper" that wouldn't bite!
Keep that shaft straight!

Tuskie