PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Snapper & Mackerel Bag Out

bigmack
21-08-2006, 11:41 AM
Caught up with Paul (Big Ren) and Gav (gavs Gone fishing) at Kawana on Friday night for a couple of beers and chat about intentions for Saturday, enjoyed a few coldies and chit chat - good to catch up fella's!. The Other blokes were going wide and we were staying close to hit some patches of reef before dark before moving onto the mackerel.

Left Mooloolaba at 4-15 and head out quickly in a beautiful night sky with just a sliver of moon and heaps of stars showing - not too cold outside, just a jacket and shorts required - loverly. Saw some great shooting stars as well. Looked at Spot 18 - blank, moved onto Spot 8 and found heaps of bait showing. anchored up - start berley trail - bait up and cast out.........plagued by razor tooth pike which we kept for trolling (spaniard bait later in season). This is typical of the places we fish, pike and yakkas first up before the sky turns pink and then be prepared for the screaming ratchet half hour. The bite is short and sweet. Just as it turned pink - the real fish go on the chew, first fish to Phill - a nice little squire, mucking around trying to get hooks out and missed a blistering run on the old Triton Mag. Bob's baitcaster starts howling and he bends into a real good fish - done im! (lots of swearing) Other rod goes off and Bob pulls a very nice snappery squire about the 4 kilo mark ..............and then the lines went all funny and I said has the tide just changed? NO DOH DOH DOH - the anchor has pulled. Bugger Bugger Bugger - noise and commotion to take up the pick and re-anchor; but we knew it would be too late. You just have to be on to it and get the fish in that first half hour in shallow water otherwise they are gone. Thanks also to the couple of tinnys that pulled up and made noise and commotion pretty much in our burley trail - some people just have to pull up next to you and fish.............What is it - are you lonely? Go find some ocean its pretty big you know.

Anyway - we decided to call matey - is it worth coming over and they said yes definitely. We rigged up for trolling and we get there in five minutes and start donging real good spotties and schoolies. Just going berserk. We took as many as we needed for both familes and left them biting. Matey went again yesterday and donged them again before running out of bait.

The best part - not one other boat fishing them - just the two of us turning lazy circles and double hookups and no Commercial fishos either. What a pleasure to see the macks running around in 35 ft of crystal clear water - all milling about and just waiting for fresh pilchard breakfast. Another awesome trip and awesome dinner last night - Thai Fish Cakes. Awesome feed but not quite as impressive as Doug Hannings Dinner table (mate you guys must eat well - i better learn to snorkel at depth and find some crayfish)

Good One for sure and if you hadnt noticed the Ocean today - is glassy glassy glassy again.

Back to work - stop dreaming about mackerel hits.

Cheers
Phill

Big_Ren
21-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Great report Phill. It was terrific to catch up for a coldie with you and Gav and glad to see you donged a couple of mackies. Nothing worse than having blow flies come along and disrupt the berley trail >:( They must have been lost.....everyone else wass at the Banks/Hards ;D

Try the honey/soy recipe next time if you have a few spare fillets. You'll love it on the macks.

Cheers
Paul

Smailesy
21-08-2006, 12:18 PM
sounds like a good time was had mate you are always going to get freeks who want to fish in your pocket good to hear a few macs are about did you pay any attention to the temp of the water good read bigmack

bigmack
21-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Boys - the water temp was smack on 20 degree's and clear as day. We could see the macks under the boat milling about - they would come over for a look at slowly sinking pillies but not take - as soon as you moved onto the troll; bingo. Didnt like my shiny chrome slug either. There was plenty of bait around and leaping bonito and other stuff as well. Another funny thing - there were two or three boats anchored up in our vicinity (we gave them wide berth so as not to disturb) and we had bent roads and fish coming into the boat left right & centre and not one of them up anchored and come over to see what was going on!!!? Funny huh?Oh Well - maybe they dont like mackerel!

I think we might have to sneak out for another session on wed or thursday. The funniest thing at the end of the day was watching the pelicans cope with a couple of feet of mackerel frame and head sliding down their gulletts - didnt they love the free feed!!!

Phill

Smailesy
21-08-2006, 02:03 PM
good stuff phill

Bundy_Burp
21-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Great read very good report thai fish cakes ya lucky bugger :P

Bundy 8-)

bigmack
21-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Pan Fried Snapper tonight - along with a few others on this forum I would think.

chicken
21-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Well done fellas enjoy the feed.

jeffo
21-08-2006, 07:52 PM
were you guys in the white cc tinney>? if so you werent the only ones chasing the mackeral ;) we just werent trolling.

Jackinthebox
22-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Spotties at mooloolaba already? I didn't think they came down until November, that's when I usually do a trip to mooloolaba to spin for them in the bay as I usually can't wait any longer for them to get to the Gold Coast. Just goes to show, you can't beat local knowledge!

When do you guys reckon is the earliest you can spin 'em up in the bay at mooloolabah?

Mick.

jeffo
22-08-2006, 07:29 PM
mick- they were schoolies...but good fat ones around 3kg i spose.

i went back out today and they were even thicker...never seen schoolies in those numbers before.