PDA

View Full Version : Win some lose some

Pegasus_1
19-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Headed out to Western Rocks last Saturday chasing the elusive cobia. #Left Scarborough boat ramp at around 6.30 am in perfect conditions for a quick run out to the beacons where we picked up some live bait. They were a bit hard to find in the first instance but we were soon bringing in 5 or 6 at a time which quickly filled up the bait tank. Arrived at the rocks around 8 am and quickly set up a burley trail. Sat and waited patiently without a hint of a bite until 12.30 pm (thank goodness the esky had a few coldies in it to help past the time) then all hell broke lose. All four rods went off simultaneously with me trying to control two rods and throw the anchor at the same time as whatever was on the lines had already nearly spooled three of the reels. #The second mate had one rod in either hand looking somewhat bewildered at the confusion going on around him. #Unfortunately we only managed to keep one on a line. #Well an hour and a half later after being towed around the bay we could see that we had a 5 foot cobia just three foot from the boat. #A small lack of concentration at the time I let the line go loose and you guessed, one spat hook “bugger”.
Decided not all was lost and went back to pick up the anchor and put out another line. Well we were there for 5 minutes when this time one line went off in the same fashion as before. I again threw the anchor and second mate started playing the fish. Well to cut a long story short this one took 2 and a half hours to come up to the boat (15 pound braid). No way I was going to lose this one and with gaff in hand and ready to jump out of the boat a wrestle the fish if needed we finally landed the biggest fish of my life.
I got home and my wife said I was cruel for killing such a majestic animal that fought valiantly for 2 and a half hours for its life. #I asked her if she was going to eat it with me and she quickly said, "Of course I am stupid". #So there you go.
Looking forward to the next outing
Pegasus

simonpp82
19-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Monster fish mate... any idea of weight and length. Too bad about the others, but it only takes one monster like that to make it all better!

Pegasus_1
19-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Simon

It was a little over 1.5 metres in length and an estimation of weight at 40 KG

Pegasus

kitty_cat
19-08-2006, 11:11 AM
great catch 40kg no wonder it took so long to land

chicken
19-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Great stuff ,the cobes we landed a few weeks ago went 20kg and I saw the fight they gave so 40kg would've been just awesome well done enjoy the feed.

lattic
19-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Thats awesome mate, pity about the first, may have been better taking her to the taxerdermist. Well done.

muz

elephrez1
19-08-2006, 05:16 PM
you gotta love big cobia, can't wait to get amongst them myself

StevenM
19-08-2006, 07:41 PM
cracker

griz066
19-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Awsome 8-)

Fisher4life
19-08-2006, 08:16 PM
:o 2 1/2 hours, i bet your arms were sore, and the adrenalin was pumping!!

Thats an awesome fish!!, Congrats

reef_king
20-08-2006, 06:41 PM
One great fish and a huge acheivment on light line. Good on' ya mate, awesome.

ty

-spiro-
20-08-2006, 09:26 PM
it seems like everyone was nailling cobes on the weekend........thats a horse tho what you got ;D

Pegasus_1
21-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Perry

Had to reply this way as I have not reached my 10 postings to PM you.

It at a point between Comboyuro Point and Cape Moreton about 3-4 miles off the beach. You are only in around 40 foot of water and if the water is clear on the day you will see the coffee rock underneath you. Usually there are a number of boats around the general area and the big boys often pick up their bait fish there. I will check the GPS marks and PM you

Pegasus

Big_Ren
21-08-2006, 10:21 AM
A stunning capture Pegasus and will keep the family well-fed for quite some time.

Cheers mate....that's awesome.
Paul

pegasus
23-08-2006, 06:14 AM
Hey there Peg :)

Great fish- congratulations- got love those cobia