PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked around the Cape 22nd Aug 2006

revs57
23-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Headed out of Scarby Harbour with Birdy, Swano and Damo early tueday morning heading for Cape Moreton. #After a quick run across the bay we stopped at S1 on the way out to load up on yakka's in the pre-dawn hue and hit our first wreck just on the first glimpses of the sun.

It wasn't long before both Damo and I had hooked up into good cobes but alas dropped them, the second one ripped the braid off the Rovex so hard like there was no tomorrow, but it bricked me in the wreck...it was to be a tough day

Jason jigged up a pup kingy and Swano noodled away to his hearts content but fish were few and far between. #Swano boated a nice Esturary Cod that smashed a livie...

We continue to have the odd livie smashed up but with no hook ups..again we speculated probably Cobia.

On the second wreck I jammed into what turned out to be a kingy to about 7ish kg...It was a good 10 minute or so fight with heaps of scorching runs seeing around 100 plus metres of line stripped off the Rovex...but the drag reliably pulled the fish up and with the help of a bit of reverse action from the boat I was able to recover enough line to eventually subdue this bandit. #It was my first contest with a reasonable YTK...any wonder the larger of this variety have such a tough reputation. #I reckon I'll be back for more. You've gotta love live bait!!!

We checked out another couple of wrecks...each with heaps of bait show but apart from a couple of undersized kings a couple of undersize juvenile Red Emporer, the odd pearlie and a lone squire we had a pretty lean day...

but it was a beaut day on the water with a quality crew...I could think of worse things to do on a tuesday

The lads took a few piccies...hopefully they will post them

Cheers

Rhys

Smailesy
23-08-2006, 04:47 PM
i reckon you guys had some fun and i think it was big ytk that were smashing you guys up sounds like a good trip

seapup
23-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Hi Rhys,
Sounded like a good day on the water mate! ;D
Cheers,
Ben.

revs57
23-08-2006, 04:54 PM
The reason we reckoned Cobe is they had that sort of hard tail pumping and para vaning after a run feel before either spitting it out or bricking...not just scorching/blistering runs of the YTK...although curiously they did stay deep...You could well be right Smailsey...and yeah Ben, we did have a great day on the water!!

Cheers

Rhys

chicken
23-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Beats working fellas good luck to ya.

outsiderskip
23-08-2006, 05:11 PM
rhys
didnt think there was that many wrecks of moreton

pete

finding_time
23-08-2006, 05:29 PM
rhys
didnt think there was that many wrecks of moreton

#pete

Your right Pete there's not that many probably only 30 or so!! ;) ;D ;D ;D

Ian

Nice Haul Rhys!!! my next trip will be all about arm stretching as well,plenty of fish in the freezer

dfox
23-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Not the rovex again rhys! ;D
Where were the AJ's birdy? or did you have enough of them from saturday...foxy

revs57
23-08-2006, 05:56 PM
If I was cleaver enough Pete, I'd give you the GPS marks but they'd probably point you to Tangalooma ;) ;D ;D ;D

Yeah as Ian said there are a few wrecks out there, but I promised #mum's the word

Yeah Foxy, the dreaded Rovex strikes again...I just love that thing...the retrieval rate means that 2 and a half winds and you're ready to pump again, the drag is still silky smooth...even towards sunset and the handle is tough enough to add lift through the rod butt end. #I was very impressed with it again - we are all believers on Flamin Riptide - Big Boss rulZ!!! #I understand you had a Rovex experience on the Dominator last trip????

Cheers

Rhys

dfox
23-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Yeah ryhs, we ran out of sinkers so i asked birdy could i use his as a snapper lead ;D ;D
Seriously though ,birdy did well with his and a few plastics...

swano
23-08-2006, 06:31 PM
hey rhys , twas a good outing regardless of the numbers mate , just seeing you playing with your blue misstress is a good enough excuse to go every time :D
you have some fotos on your camera that i took 4 ya m8 or did ya drop that in the drink with ya phone :-X
have a go at the markings on this tacker

revs57
23-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Those baby reds are a striking fish Swano...was great to be out in the blue with you blokes again...thanks for the reminder about the pic

Cheers

Rhys

Birdy
23-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Rhys,

Mate it was another cracker day on the Riptide............i was just a smilin idiot all day driving the thing about.
Thanks again .........Joely said that wide wreck is worth another visit one day if your up for it!,after you getting me to back the Riptide up while you were on that king there are doubts what would happen if you hooked a decent king :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

This shot in high res. could be a cover but fer the blood on the tail.

Birdy

Birdy
23-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Foxy,

Mate thanks again for the trip hey.....The dominator is one of the most impressive boats i have ever been on and in my work I get to play with the odd one hey.
Great trip ....Ya reckon this shot shows just how much Doug was hurting ?

Got some cracker shots that i'll Use in BnB too

Birdy

Birdy
23-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Thought this one was worth a run too ...nice shot hey.
I think this was number 10 or 11 for the day on jigs.......look out! i just noticed that looks alot like a Rovex in the rod holder ;D ;D ;D

Birdy

StevenM
23-08-2006, 08:13 PM
That last shot is a beauty Birdy,

Nice work guys if you can get it

Cheers

Steven

Big_Ren
23-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Great stuff Rhys, looks like a corker of a time despite the brickings and spittings ;D At least I have now seen the legendary Rovex in a pic....all this time I thought you were fishin with a dirty old fake wristwatch ;D ;D

Seriously though those mid-week trips are the go aren't they....away from the crowds, there is just no rush.

What type of hoks were you running, live bait hooks are just normal Js?

Birdy, they are some serious arm stretchers mate and great camera shots.

Congrats to all on a top report and pics.

Cheers
Paul ;)

dfox
23-08-2006, 09:03 PM
That fish hurt him alright birdy, he was sore the next day as well. I counted 17 at least for the trip and i give you credit for nearly all of them you mad men! ;D
Heres a pic i took of you in action, ive got a few red pics as well, but i i'll wait and see what pics are used in bnb. You can relax now and recover until the next trip...foxy
P.s. that is a rovex! and on my boat! the shame the shame! :-[ :-[ :-[

revs57
23-08-2006, 09:14 PM
G'day Paul,

I was using 7/0 Mustad Big Gun's snooded with a sting but after the bricking changed to a single 8/0 Black Magic live bait hook...ahh yes the Rovex is definitely not a wristwatch ;D ;D ;D

Glad you got that photo of Birdy in action Foxy, at least he didn't have his rod resting on the gunnell and winching the bejesus out of it...love THAT technique!!!!

Cheers

Rhys

dfox
23-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Got quite a few shots of him rhys. You know what its like waiting for him to land a fish so you can drop...waiting.................................... ..waiting........... ;D ;D

Obi___Wan
23-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Hey Rhys & Foxy,
Can either of you guys tell me if Birdy has put any meat on those bones yet? i can't tell from the picture as he's hiding behind another bloody AJ.

I diod hear a rumor that he has signed up at a gym?

May The Fish Be With You.
John.

SeaSaw
24-08-2006, 12:37 AM
Great report Rhys. You always put together a great read :)

Get back to work Birdy ;D sounds like you have done nothing but fishing ..... or is testing the Rovex considered official duties ;D ;D

Cheers,

Mark

indy
24-08-2006, 05:02 AM
Nice kingy conditions look great hate that thing called work mid week trips geez not fair :)

Fixation
24-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Rhys:
Looks like you had a good day conditions wise. Nice yellow tail too. Catch up soon.

Birdy: Mate you must have been buggered after pullin that many AJ’s man. better than any gym session by the sounds of it.

Nice pics Foxy. Magical day out on the water by the looks of it.

revs57
24-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Your right about the waiting Foxy...the last pup kingy Jasons jigged from the deep wide took forever to get in...had maggots hanging off it too!!!

Obi-wan...the first time I saw Jason Jig and hook a decent AJ at the Banks a few weeks ago I thought it was gonna drag him over the side...not sure if he's signed up for the gym yet...

Jonesy, we always have the Rovex testing unit out! That's Jason's excuse for work!

Pete, it was a cracker of a day...Love those mid weekers...you're welcome to tag on one of them mate...or come as a deckie if you can some time, cause someones gotta do it...take one for the team I reckon!

Look forward to chatching up Craig

Cheers

Rhys

bidkev
24-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Nice one Rhys. It's a pity I didn't catch up with you as I was undecided whether to hit the Cape again on Tuesday. Ended up in the tinny instead, sat out front of redcliffe.............brought a smile to the deckie's face when I filled the tank up with 2.5 litres ;D after the hundred we put in the Whittley at weekend :o

Nice to see you got a day out anyway mate, and yet again, a good report.

kev

Slient
24-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Rhys,

Magnificent trip with glassy water out there and good fish too... 8-)
Your smart to go & fishing during the mid weekdays I wish I could do same things.
How deep most fish taken?

Happy fishing
Silent

revs57
24-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi Kev,

We'll get a trip in one day...actually I'm keeping my eye on next tuesday...got a friend with some family out from the States he'd like to take out whale watching with a spot of fishing....reckon if the weather behaves a mid mornign run to Flat Rock might be the go...I wish i could go out for only a 2.5 litre fuel burn...it almost cost me that just to flush the motor! Will call soon

G'day Silent,

Yeah mid week is the way to go, no fuss launch and retrieve, easy to park the car and trailer, and all that ocean to yourself...all we needed was the fish to play....but we still had a great day

We fished depths from 35mts-120plus mts. The YTK was pulled from around 45 mts

Cheers

Rhys

Slient
24-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks...and I can dream one day when I get there the Mid-week fishing with no hassle...but...[smiley=computer.gif]

Cheers
Silent

DALEPRICE
24-08-2006, 06:32 PM
nice work rhys and crew !!!!

bit of a change of pace fishing off the cape ?
thats an awesome shot of you and that king, the colours.....
great stuff.
cheers dale

indy
24-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the invite ever get a spare spot i would love to tag along and play deckie for the day, or follow you out offer goes both ways

cheers pete...