PDA

View Full Version : Hervey Bay and Fraser Offshore

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Bob, Pete and I headed up Wathumba way on Saturday 8/7/06. We’ve done this trip for about the last five years now around the June or July moon. The main target is snapper / squire at Rooneys. This has proven to be a great spot to target these fish, and unfortunately will likely be the last time we get to fish tis spot as it is due to be green zoned next month. We have other spots up the top end of the bay too, but this has been our favourite for a long time.

I’ve also been keen to get out over Breaksea Spit, though have never really been confident to tackle it on my own given it is so far from help should something go wrong. This trip changed that though.

We arrived at Wathumba around 7am on Saturday morning, set up camp and got back out while the tide still allowed. We hunted around a few close marks until the early start (picked up Bob from Bris airport at 12:30am) caught up with us all. So back to camp for a siesta, and a few beers.

Sunday morning arrived with a forecast of 10-15kn SE, so we decided we’d head up around the lightship and out from there. On the way I decided to check out the 13 mile crossing on Breaksea, which Smithy gave me marks for about 12 months earlier, (thanks Smithy). From the inside it didn’t look too bad even though we were into 2 hrs of run out , so we poked into it for a closer look. All in all it wasn’t too bad, but we did have to push through a couple of sections of pretty decent pressure waves.

Once on the outside we headed directly east for the 90 metre ground hoping to find pearlies, but on the way we found some great looking country and shows in around 50m. I marked this ground and continued out. We gave the deeper stuff a go for about an hour with only one pearlie, so headed back to the 50m ground. It was here we caught the bulk of the fish, with red throat, coronation trout, hussar by the bucket load, gold spot wrasse, maori cod etc. After getting a good feed we headed back in at the 13 mile with a rising tide. No sign of pressure waves, a dead flat bar. What a contrast to the morning’s crossing. From we headed down to the lighthouse and dropped the pick for the night.

Next morning saw us wait for the 7am weather forecast then back to the bar, again on the run out, and again those same nasty sections of pressure waves, but the Fisher loved it! We headed to the same 50m marks, as well as explored some more interesting looking contour lines, all in around the 50m depth. We caught more of the same as Sunday, plus got blown away by numerous unstopables. We landed a couple of cobia, and Ajs as well as more reefies. We were all fishing 50lb tackle and after get done over a few times I stepped up to the 80lb braid. At least this kept the beasts out of the reef, but ended up in straightened 5/0 7766 hooks. No idea what these were. Big Ajs, cobes, reds, who knows? Again we headed back to the bar with the rising arvo tide and headed to Rooneys to fish for snapper.

We arrived at Rooneys around 430pm and dropped our SPs down on the drift. We’ve fished SPs here before, but this time we decided to try them exclusively. By 6pm we had our bag of 15 snappery squire to 3.5kg, with nothing kept under 50cm and several released. How much fun was that! Time to head back to the creek for a few beers and a comfy night in camp.

By the time we got back to the creek we’d already done about 400km and used a fair swag of our fuel supplies, so Tuesday saw us heading back to Urangan to re-fuel (only 500l this time!), re-ice, fillet the fish and freeze them down. Pete and Bob headed off for more food as well as a trip to the airport due to Virgin sending Bob’s bag to Perth from Melbourne instead of Brissie on Friday night. I stayed with the boat on the trailer in the car park and filleted the fish while they were away. Quit a few people drove past and had a good look at what I was up to, so I wasn’t all that surprised when the friendly Fisheries boys pulled up alongside at the back of the carpark where I was trying to keep out of the way of everyone else.

Talk about a thousand questions, not that I mind as they were only doing their jobs, but they didn’t leave a stone unturned. Of the whole fish left, they inspected each one to ensure the pec fins were removed from the coral reefies, then matched up the fillets and counted every fish on board. Whole or filleted. The inspector explained that a lot of rec fishers still aren’t removing the pec fin, which apparently is a $375 fine up to four fish and a summons if you have more than four without the pec removed. They also quizzed me on where I had filleted the fish, ensured I knew not to return these to the boat on the water, and confirmed that Bob and Pete had been with me fishing. I think we were about 15 short of our coral reefie bag limit for the three of us, but had our bag of snapper. Before they left they inspected my EPIRB and flares too. Very thorough, but pretty decent blokes all the same. Anyway, we got the boat back on the water and headed back to camp.

Wednesday was a pearler of a day with variable 5-10kn winds so out over the bar again, this time with a rising tide for the run out and in. Even though the seas were dead flat the current was raging from the north which made the fishing very difficult. We still managed a feed of wrasse, parrot, hussar etc, plus got blown away – again! At the end of the day we went and played with the Rooneys squire population once again with the plastics before anchoring for the night on the southern side of Rooney Point.

After a sleep in on Thursday we broke out the 2-4kg bream spin gear and prospected the shallows around Rooney Point. Here we found tailor on the chew. All little choppers to about 36cm, but heaps of fun with the light gear and SPs. We hung around here most of the day before harassing the squire at Rooneys for one last time. They weren’t as keen this session, though we each got four or five on the SPs again, as well as finding a school of tea leaf trevally which kept us amused for about and hour or so before the squire came on the chew.

Friday, and the weather finally soured. 25 – 30kn SE greated us. We headed out up the island from the creek a bit to try the SPs on some of the close stuff but without reward. The tough decision to write this day off was made and a “lay day” was called. Back to the creek by 11am, esky re-organised to ensure a steady supply of coldies, and the festivities began. There are enough stories for another post in this day alone, but since they’re not fishing stories I won’t bore you with them! Though Pete is still complaining about a sore head.

Well, it all had to end at some point and a day on Hervey Bay with 20 – 25kn northerlies is as good a day as any to head home. We broke camp and departed the creek arriving back at Urangan around 2pm. We all had a great trip. Caught new species, and in total we caught something like 30 different species of fish. Ranging from bream, flathead to cobia and red throat. It’s a real shame that Rooneys is to be green zoned, but now I know what’s over the bar I’ll be back again and again. Only trouble with the offshore stuff is the distance. Over eight days on the water we covered 812 km.

Dave.

Pics to follow.

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Sounder shot of some of the country we found. :)

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Bob and Pete with a pair of Rooneys SP victims. :D

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:13 PM
This little guy had a passenger. Smallest fish I've seen a remora on and probably smallest remora we've soon too. :-?

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Bob and maori cod. Bit hard to tell 'em apart though ;D

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Cobe

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Tasty 8-)

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:18 PM
One of the trout, also very tasty :)

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Another red throat

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:21 PM
xxxx

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Back at Rooneys.

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Light spin fun.

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Last one. Looking back to Sandy Cape from 40km NE.

Smailesy
17-07-2006, 09:45 PM
One of the trout, also very tasty #:)

nice trout love the colour great pics

Fixation
17-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Nice catch fellas. Great read. Yeah I know what you mean about breaksea. I used to live up at hervey bay and many fell victim to it's power. Sounds like you had a blast up there though with the weather playing the game for you. ;)

luskin
17-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Great report Alchemy ;) ;)

After the 2nd time, any idea what was busting you off? :)

Cheers

Sy

David_P
17-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Great report Alchemy ;) ;)

After the 2nd time, any idea what was busting you off? :)

Cheers

Sy

G'day Sy,

No idea mate. Bob and I got done over at least three times each. One of mine was a swivel blow out, the next got me in the reef and the third was the straightened hook. Think I should try mono next time as the braid is so unforgiving.

Regards,
Dave.

Big_unit
17-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Great report mate. ;) ;) :)

Cheers
James

SeaSaw
17-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Great report Dave. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] That is one of my dream trips ... one day 8-) How do you carry the fuel load needed. Long range tanks? or lots of jerry cans.

Cheers,

Mark

David_P
18-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Hi Mark,

I get about 300l under the floor in the tank, then load up with plastic jerry cans. I prefer the 20l cans as they are easier to stow on board, plus easy to handle when unloading at camp.

Would love another boat for company next time, so if your keen let me know.

Regards,
Dave.

Chris_Riethmuller
18-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Good report Dave, sounds like alot of fun with SP's, how far from Wathumba to the breaksea and then how far out did you fish from there.
rgds Beefa

Smithy
18-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Dave,

well done on your trip. As for the marks, if you know where to look they are available publicly, even the old 4 mile. Now you have those couple of crossings under your belt time to start looking at the 0mile, 2mile or new 4mile. With that run out tide though they might not have been a prospect. If your were fishing a bit SE of the 13 you were probably on an area called Clarks Knob I think. There is rubble all through there and we have punched in a lot of reef trolling past the bottom bouncing charter boats like Golden Pheonix and Summer Bay when doing the game tournament. That is always an option for anyone keen to explore up there. Work it in with the tournament in November so you can get a hot shower and a feed on the mothership and it saves a lot of travelling if the weather is good and the mothership can get to the lighthouse. Nothing stopping you reef fishing all weekend while us madmen waste fuel trolling.

Mark,

you didn't hear it from me but I believe some people take up the round 20 litre oil drums or 60 litre thinners drums and punch a hole in them after fueling up and create their own artificial reefs. The area near Keiths reef which will be in a green zone shortly I believe is a good place to stash fuel on the beach so I have been told. Alternatively if you have a green streak the 20 litre plastic jerrys would be a good idea.

Beef,

in a straight line Urangan to the 2nd mark of the 13 mile crossing is 95km. Wathumba to the same spot is 56km but you have Rooneys to get around. From my outside mark for that crossing there is Pelagic fishing straight away and mind blowing reef 5-7km away.

BrandonH
18-07-2006, 12:15 PM
Nice catch guys ;) love the shot of the tea leaf trevor with the turtle behind you!!!!!

cheers
Brandon...

Nic
18-07-2006, 02:04 PM
I'm glad the Snapbacks worked well for ya... but jeez, the fish must have been biting their heads off for Bob 'Snipe' to catch any! ;)

Spectre
18-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Dave

Great report & great pics. :o
That sounds like an awesome trip...a good workout for the Fisher.

We did a boat trip across to Wathumba last year & camped for 5 days. An awesome spot.
Lotsa whales out the front but not a lot of fish on the nearby reefs. Looks like the go is to head north & out to get amongst the reefies !!! ;D

Cheers
Phil

DALEPRICE
18-07-2006, 05:54 PM
that was one hell of a trip by the sounds of it dave.
congrats and sounds like you covered some miles.
top report and pics.
cheers dale

Cheech
18-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Was more like reading a magazine article. Great story.

Ok Mark, load up the boat. I'm in.

Cheech

SeaSaw
18-07-2006, 09:10 PM
How often to you get up that way Dave. I would be interested in coming along if you don't mind another boat for company. With those distances there is safety in numbers. Maybe I'll have a new fisher by then ;) :o

Start packing the gear Cheech. ;D

Mark

Big_Ren
18-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Ripper trip Dave. We used to do the Golden Phoenix (the vessel Smithy mentioned) with Arthur Mackie every June/July and scored some awesome reefies with them. Plenty of big, big tigers up there too :o :o

Cheers
Paul

David_P
18-07-2006, 09:51 PM
G'day Beefa,

Once over the bar the grounds we fished were only about 7km out. Heaps more to explore too I'd say. From the inside of the bar back to Rooneys was about 35 - 40km, then about another 20km back to Wathumba. It really helps if you can stay up around the lighthouse overnight to save on time and fuel. Why, you keen on taking the outsider for a run up there?

Smithy, think we were more east rather than SE, though the rise we checked out from the GPS chart was more SE. How far down from the 13 mile are the shoals? Would like to check those out with a popper or three one day. So far as the crossings at to the south, think I'll wait for company or a day without wind or swell. Would be good to have a closer option to the island though. Apart from a couple of trawlers out there, we did spot Summer Bay, and another which I think may have been Golden Phoenix.

Mark, the more boats the better up there. You really do feel the remoteness once you cross that bar. This was my second trip this year and I'd like to go another once or twice if possible. I like to go in Nov / Dec to play with the spotties and tuna, plus a September trip could be on the cards. I'll let you know. A new Fisher 'eh, you certainly won't regret that. Hope Col's looking after you ;)

Paul, I've only been hassled by sharks (read one big tiger) once up there, and that was at Rooneys. Lost some snapper to it, then he came up behind the boat for a look at us. It was a big fish :o

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Regards,
Dave.

David_P
18-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Here's a pic of the straightened hook after a fight on 80lb braid. Pretty disappointing as I had this beast off the bottom, but if had backed off the drag he was going straight back.

vertico
18-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Iam thinking about fishing off waddy pt in August, try find me some reds maybe
seano

Chris_Riethmuller
19-07-2006, 07:09 AM
yes, I think I could try to manage a trip Dave, let us know next time your going.

seapup
23-07-2006, 05:37 PM
Bobby Bentley nice work their mate!
Cheers,
Ben N.

David_P
23-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Bobby Bentley nice work their mate!
Cheers,
Ben N.

Geez Ben, you're a brave man owning up to knowing Bobby Barbarino. He's a bit of a trouble maker you know!

DP.

snipe
08-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Seapup - send me a pm you big bitch - where are you these days?

snipe
08-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Benny its Bobby Barbarino