PDA

View Full Version : East of South Passage Bar 02/12/06 with VID

Black_Rat
02-12-2006, 08:25 PM
Headed out on the cougar cat 'Nitro' from Manly 5am this morning with skipper John Poluma.
A very slow day was had all round due to those bloody Northerlies #:-[

John went to the trouble of tying all the tricks in the book to get us a feed of fish.

First up we did some trolling out past Point Lookout on the way to the wave rider buoy. We burleyed around the buoy but could't raise a Dolphin fish #:( so it was off to try for some pearlies. We tried everywhere and could only manage about 12 or so keepers with quite a few smaller models that where released.

We did manage to get two yellow tail Kingfish on board one of which was mine #;D and there's a story to it !!!!

I was bottom bashing off the back of the boat when I got smashed by something and then the line went slack #:( Soon after I hooked up the Kingie ran straight back under the boat where he wrapped me around the prop #:( I tried to free it and could still feel it trying to run but just could free it ! The decision was made to cut the line which we did #>:( #what a disappointment !

About 30 secs later one guy fishing up front has his rod goes off and the fish proceeds to bring him to the back of the boat where I was fishing after a battle of about 2 mins his sinker and hooks come up but is still hooked up to the fish WTF ? we all think.

It was then we realized that the Kingie had wrapped my line (diffent colour to the ones on the boat) around his hooks while he was retrieving his rig to check his baits #:o

The deckie then grabbed my rod and retied my line where we'd cut the line previously and i'm back on ! #;D ;D ;D A couple of minutes later I bring up a nice Knigie, Ar$$y but i'll take it !

It got pretty rough out there and full credit to John for keeping the boat over the reef as best he could. Although not the best day out it was a day on the water non the less #;D

Damo.

A couple of pics to follow. I took some footage on the fight with the other kingie caught on the digital camera and will try and figure out how to post.

Black_Rat
02-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Conditions leaving Manly ;D

Black_Rat
02-12-2006, 08:32 PM
The offending Kingie

Black_Rat
02-12-2006, 08:33 PM
The fight with the other kingie

Black_Rat
02-12-2006, 08:33 PM
back at the harbor

Black_Rat
02-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Test Vid - Missed the gaff shot :( memory card was full

eJJZ3cBQmEs

It worked ! #;D ;D ;D - maybe not ?

Take 2

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eJJZ3cBQmEs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eJJZ3cBQmEs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Working now ??

Pitsta
02-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Nice report Damo , what's john charge for the day & is he worth it ?????
Top photos mate but I cant get the VID to work !!!

Mark

Fishing_Freddy
03-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Hi Damo I to couldn't get the video to work.Nice looking kinggy
Ken ;D ;D ;D

Black_Rat
03-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Pista, I'm not sure what the cost was as I was a guest of the company that hired the boat. John was genuinely disappointed that he couldn't get us more fish (which is a good sign) and I wouldn't hesitate to go out with him again.

I'll have to look into the video ? it's working for me #:-?

Can anyone else view it ?

Pitsta
03-12-2006, 08:48 AM
She's workin now . Cheers ;)

Mark

Brissyguy
03-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Rat,

Great story, and even though you didnt clean up, it sounds like it was a great day on the water.

Cheers,
Rich.

reel_scream
03-12-2006, 11:49 AM
great story. Didn't clean up but at least you were out. The decki is my next door neighbours son. Have you got anything i can put sh!t on him about???

Cheers scott

tuskie
03-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Should have made the effort to get out. The conditions look better than the forcast said. Maybe it's trick photography.

Black_Rat
03-12-2006, 03:48 PM
great story. Didn't clean up but at least you were out. The decki is my next door neighbours son. Have you got anything i can put sh!t on him about???

Cheers scott

Gday Scott, John is a hard task master and kept him busy all day #;) he does need to work on his gaff shots though ! #;D ;D ;D

tuskie, conditions were 10 - 15knts untill about 10am when the northerlies kicked in at 20knts

Damo.

Grinner_Frenzy
03-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Don't be fooled tuskie - it was rotten out there. That northerly was a bastard.

We saw Nitro drive by around mid morning - kind of reassuring to know we weren't the only boat that caught stuff all!!! - Just a couple of meaty mack tuna and a stack of small brown things.

Cheers,

GF

Black_Rat
03-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Don't be fooled tuskie - it was rotten out there. #That northerly was a bastard.

We saw Nitro drive by around mid morning - kind of reassuring to know we weren't the only boat that caught stuff all!!! - Just a couple of meaty mack tuna and a stack of small brown things.

Cheers,

GF

We had a couple of 'Grinners' on board and saw them quickly over the side #:(

reel_scream
06-12-2006, 10:46 AM
cheers Damo,

He was pissed the other night and reckons he's never missed a gaff shot :-/ ;)

thanks scott

Black_Rat
06-12-2006, 06:40 PM
cheers Damo,

He was pissed the other night and reckons he's never missed a gaff shot :-/ ;)

thanks scott

He never missed it, it was the placement #;D straight through a nice set of fillets #::) we've all done it before ;)