PDA

View Full Version : Townsville Bomber Wreck and Keeper Reef

Rod_Bender
04-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Went to the Bomber Wreck Wednesday night. Mixed bag of reef species was landed. Sharks played havoc. Keeper Reef in the morning found more of the same. Trout, Jacks, Nanny's, mac's, vally's, Lipper's etc. Lost a lot of gear to sharks but a esky full made the trip home worth it. Conditions were great, and my mates new 5.5m Poly has convinced me i'll never buy an alloy reef boat again.

Sneazer
04-12-2006, 01:29 PM
fishing up north sounds awesome...

backlash08
04-12-2006, 02:42 PM
what was so good about the poly? interested in your views

Rod_Bender
04-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Mate just found the ride very like a glass boat...obviously without the cost. Found it very dry, very very stable, 3 guys on the one side for little tilt. No typical alloy slapping as it cut through the waves. Etc etc. Overall convinced and I was very sceptical prior to having my first ride.

backlash08
04-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks - I have never looked seriously at them - interesting that you were so impressed -
Thanks

boyzie
05-12-2006, 07:06 AM
ANY PICS ROD BENDER?

Rod_Bender
05-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Sorry Boy-Z no pics. I will add my next reel choice is an alvey deck winch. My attempt to use a hand line to wrestle these beast's of the sea was dreadful, so hopefully Santa is kind this xmas.

Badone
05-12-2006, 11:07 AM
Rod, I speared the bomber wreck in 1988 , not long after it was found. There was batfish on the surface then trevally in the mid water and towards the bottom there were mobs of largemouth and smallmouth nannygai and also lots of greasy cod and 400lb+ qld groper. Plenty of sharks too. The aircraft was in amazing condition as well with the fusilage and landing gear quite clear, there was still rubber on the wheels. We used land marks off Maggie and Castle Hill to get in the general area and then sounded around for a couple of hours til we found the bump on the sounder ( no gps back then). Amazing dive and good fishing as well. I am guessing there isn't much left on the bottom now. See you Simon.

Rod_Bender
06-12-2006, 04:53 PM
yeah these days its mainly all rubble. 20 years has past since you dived on it. Good fishing was had at night though. I've fished it during the day for little results. Best time is at night.

nonibbles
07-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Some big grey suits there :o
Often a race to get the fish to the boat. I give the place a miss now.

Rod_Bender
09-12-2006, 08:29 AM
yeah my mate who was great with a hand line had no trouble getting his fish to the boat, thats why i'm looking at the alvey for xmas. That will fix the noah's ark